9 replies to this topic

#1 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 09:53 AM

With all the weird weather going on, makes me think the weather experiments are going rather well, they have almost 1/2 the 48 covered in snow. But better shut up about that, might be branded one of them "crazy conspiracy theorists" But right now, would like to extend well wishes to all elderly, infirm, disadvantaged people who live back in "rural/backwoods/hills" that are snowed, or iced in. Most of us have dealt with this over the years, and are self sufficient, but others have trouble. Counties simply do not have equipment and money to keep roads open, not to mention the lack of manpower because of cut backs. My area is blessed in a way, the same four wheel drive "nuts" who we curse during the summer are out delivering fuel, groceries, and emergency supplies with those "huge, noisy'" vehicles.

Also I want ot extend thoughts and prayers out to the people in Australia who are undergoing catastrophic flooding.

Thanks for listening to the thoughts of an old man, George
  • Bolens 1000, MH81, caseguy and 1 other said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 09:59 AM

George,

You are so right, in times like this its important to remember our neighbors. Also take time to thank GOD that we live in such a BLESSED nation.

Thanks for sharing, Brian

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 10:38 AM

George,

You are so right, in times like this its important to remember our neighbors. Also take time to thank GOD that we live in such a BLESSED nation.

Thanks for sharing, Brian

I couldnt have said it any better :thumbs:

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 10:49 AM

I couldnt have said it any better :thumbs:

:ditto:

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Whenever I see places that don't usually get snow suddenly get hit with a snowstorm, I always think it would be about the equivalent of us getting hit with an earthquake or hurricane here. We simply aren't equipped to deal with it.

It seems pretty easy to deal with snow for us...we usually get the first snowfall sometime around Halloween and it goes away in April. We have the snow removal equipment, we're used to driving in it, and our infrastructure is designed to handle it. The last winter storm that shut things down here was back in the eighties. It did shut us down though. Completely. It started on a Friday night and went on for most of Saturday. Things didn't get back to normal until Tuesday. A lot of the storms hitting the US seem close to that size. So you're dealing with the kind of snowfall that shut down Winnipeg.
  • dryrun said thank you

#6 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Little bit of an update, news said last night only state in U.S. without any snow on ground was Florida.

Just sayin

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 12:52 PM

I know I said that we knew how to drive in the snow here, but I just drove across the city to pick up my new rear blade and I take it back. I saw several spectacular examples of not knowing how to drive in the snow. I think my favourite was the guy who drove into the ditch and with his 4x4 sitting on a 60 degree angle, nose down, put it in reverse and tried to back out. He seemed perplexed when it wouldn't move.

#8 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Around here, it's not so much people hung up, it's that salesmen for these big suvs tell people, especially women{and I am NOT bashing women drivers}that they can go in any weather. Which is essentialy true, but they neglect to tell them that on slick roads, they cannot STOP!!! That's the main problem out in these hills, is simply too much speed in bad conditions.

regards George

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, I wish the SUVs would just go away. My wife has a little Hyundai Accent, and she gets around just fine. I have a 2-WD truck and I don't get stuck. Why do people think they need these big 4x4's? They have their uses, but not for most people in most situations.

#10 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 05:46 PM

the last one we had here shut the interstate down south of Little Rock for 14hrs. Proud i wasn't on it then.