34 replies to this topic

#16 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:36 AM

It'll take me awhile to make the rounds to all the people I have in mind for the Other Old Iron section.  I want to visit, take pictures, post them and tell the stories of different collectors, especially those who don't go on the internet or make it out to shows.  They have a whole lot of knowledge and some amazing tractors to see.  It's going to be an ongoing, long term project.  

Same with the Canadian Old Iron section.  Information on Canadian manufacturers is scarce and scattered so I want to collect as much of it as possible and put it all my site so that people can find what they're looking for and it's in one place.  I want to tell the companies' stories, including writing their histories, if they're not already out there.  That too will be a long term, ongoing project. 

Those are two things that I'm doing on the website that are a little different.  The rest of the site is more typical.

#17 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 05:13 PM

The owner of the walk behinds just e-mailed me a picture of each of the tractors.  I know that geography plays a part in determining values and that therefore living in Canada where I do means that the prices here will be different than in other places.   Having said that, here are some pictures, in no particular order, and I'd love to hear some ballpark prices just so that I can give at least a price range to the fine people.  I've always loved the old Planet Jrs, by the way.

WBT 1.JPG WBT 2.JPG WBT 3.JPG WBT 4.JPG WBT 5.JPG WBT 6.JPG WBT 7.JPG WBT 8.JPG WBT 9.JPG WBT 10.JPG WBT 11.JPG WBT 12.JPG WBT 13.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, trowel and 3 others have said thanks

#18 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Okay, you have me salivating.  I am betting photo 9 is a Waterloo, likely a flat handled 30.  And, I bet photo 7 is the engine, likely an AB.  

I see what looks to be the Waterloo tag in #9.  Can you get a owners to take a photo of that tag?  Also, can they get some of the gas tank ends on the engine?  

No sleep for me tonight ...

post-8084-0-76710300-1395093938.jpg tag.jpg IMG_1542.JPG

engine.jpg engine cropped.jpg logo on tank.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:13 PM

Okay, you have me salivating. 

No sleep for me tonight ...

:ditto:

Some of these are old restros, the PJs are prime shape !

Edited by trowel, March 17, 2014 - 08:17 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#20 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:21 PM

P.S. I call dibs on the Waterloo 30!  If you can confirm it is a 30, send me a PM and we can discuss prices.  

• trowel said thank you

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:25 PM

:wallbanging: why :wallbanging: are you :wallbanging:  so far :wallbanging: away :hitting_self_roller:

New Canada ! the Winnie throttle lever is covered by weeds, i can't see the lever.

#22 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:35 PM

:wallbanging: why :wallbanging: are you :wallbanging:  so far :wallbanging: away :hitting_self_roller:

New Canada ! the Winnie throttle lever is covered by weeds, i can't see the lever.

I had the same thought!  I think the AB on the 30 may have had a fixed speed or maybe the variable speed control mounted on the engine itself.

If you or others see something  like, we may be able to set up a delivery relay.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, March 17, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:38 PM

I had the same thought!  I think the AB on the 30 may have had a fixed speed or maybe the variable speed control mounted on the engine itself.

If you or others see something  like, we may be able to set up a delivery relay.

And you was looking for a good decal, it is covered in old paint :wallbanging:  so close,....

#24 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 12:14 AM

Now why can't I have a neighbor with a shed full like that!

Those are some pretty nice pieces of equipment! Hopefully they all will find good homes.

#25 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 04:59 AM

P.S. I call dibs on the Waterloo 30!  If you can confirm it is a 30, send me a PM and we can discuss prices.  

I'll look into it for you and let you know.  

Could that one be the Simpsons model 30?  I don't know anything about Simpsons, other than they had something to do with Waterloo (Waterloo made Simpsons?).

Edited by jtrojek, March 18, 2014 - 05:09 AM.

#26 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Not sure if it is a Simpson, Supremacy, or Waterloo.  That's why I would like to see the tag & tank.  

Were are my manners?  I got so excited about what it is and forgot you asked how much they are worth & how best to sell them.  

I am not sure about the Bolens & Planet Jr stuff, but on the Waterloo(?), I price them as follows: ~ $50 for a frame or frame with the wrong engine, $50 - $75 for the correct engine, and $50 for each implement.  The 30 has the rarity factor which doubles those prices.  Then I start deducting for damage and distance.  Once I have that number, I blend in the asking price.

On how to sell, there are a couple of options, none of which is perfect.  Auction sales will get you the highest price those who are present will pay.  Problem is, the person who will pay the most likely isn't present.  I won't travel more than 45 minutes for an auction.  In the end, the valuable items stay local & the rest will go to scrappers.  The advantage is that everything goes the same day.

Ebay auctions broaden the range of buyers, but then you have to deal with shipping.  

Private sale of the high dollar items would likely get more money for the jewels of the collection and eliminate the shipping woes.  Also, there are a couple of auction duds that I see that I might make a separate package deal on while I was haggling over the Waterloo.  The other items could then go by Ebay or consignment auction, selling the remnants a couple of pieces at a time.

• trowel said thank you

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:11 AM

If time is not a factor the seller can sit on it, as Canada stated auctions are the quickest but miss or miss.

The wood handle Planet Jr. looks to be able to fetch $ 100 to $ 250 but the nose is in the dirt so hard to say but the handles are still there.

The repowered Planet Jr's would fetch $ 50 to $ 100 each for the frame/wheels, $ 250 to $ 300 each (if running good) for the Honda engines with reduction.

I'll leave the Bolens to the experts on this fourm to avoid any conflicts.

The Simplicity with the vater' attachment should fetch $ 250 to $ 350 with the hard to find front weight.

The bare frame Simplicity with front weight should fetch $ 100, the weight alone is worth $ 75.

The other Simplicity frame should fetch $ 50 or more.

Im having trouble with the Choremaster it being on it's side and it looks for quite a while too, $ 150 to $ 200 with the vator attachment.

These prices are very rough and without me looking them over physically so i may be very high on some and low on others, the prices are also what i see at the current rate and may go up or down throughout the year, due to the standard of living and wages as per to the states in this country it may be very high or a steal at the stated prices.

Don't know the other walkers enough so leaving it for others to price.

#28 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:30 PM

:ditto:

You know, it is the silly little things that move the prices.  The bare frame Simplicity without the front weight is missing the left clicker hub, but has the inner wheel weights.  Do the wheel weights balance out the the lost clicker?  The Waterloo might be a Supremacy.  Which is more desirable?  Why is the engine off the Waterloo?

That said, it seems they are all worth somewhere between $50 & $350.  $300 isn't a huge range, but get it wrong in the ad and all you get are "low ballers" offering what is really fair market value.  Get the timing wrong, or flood the market, and all you hear are chirping crickets. 

• trowel said thank you

#29 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:35 PM

I'd like to have that big red one towards the ends of the pictures.

• trowel said thank you

#30 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:26 PM

I'd like to have that big red one towards the ends of the pictures.

I was looking at that one too. That is an interesting tool bar. It looks like there is an extra guard up behind the wheel hooked on that piece of steel running across there. Wonder what that set up was??