34 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:09 PM

Alright, so I had someone e-mail me via my website asking for my help.  They are looking to sell a number of walk behind garden tractors and are trying to figure out whether to try to sell them in the classifieds or to have an auction.  They were wondering if I could give them a ballpark price on their value.  I told them that an auction can be very hit and miss, and that it may work out well for them, but that it could also go poorly.  As you all know, you go to an auction and some days things seem to go really cheaply, while other auctions things seem to go very expensively, all depending on a number of variables.  So, I said it could go well for them or poorly, but you just can't really predict it and it's a bit of a gamble.  That being said, I said that I'd send them some ballpark prices on the walk behinds (they know the values of the other things they are looking to sell).  I also told them that I'd ask some collector friends to get their input too, to eliminate bias and get a variety of opinions, so here I am.  I already told them that it's tough to really give them a good ballpark price because there are so many variables (condition, etc.) and I have not even seen pictures of them.  I have not seen any of them myself and do not know any more than what I have listed below.  Regardless, here is the list they sent me, and I was wondering if people here would like to give ballpark prices on these machines, as much as you can with so little info (I realize this makes things difficult).  I also realize that prices vary according to where we live.  Still, if I can get a few (a bunch?) of different opinions, regardless of the lack of info and geographic differences, then at least I can give them a range of prices for each tractor.  I have some ideas for some of these, but not all.  Anyway, here is the list, copied and pasted straight from their e-mail (although I added the numbers to make it easier for people here to refer to specific tractors):

(1) Choremaster   Model  B  S/N  11474 with cultivator engine is update B/S

(2) Bolens Type 12BB01 unit has a hood and grill engine appears to be original
                                                                                              -has cultivator forgot to get engine ident #
                                                                                               paint is also in good shape
                                                  (3) Planet Jr. on steel S/N 9333 pat #1969023  engine is Briggs BR6
                                                           ( Planet Jr. were used mainly in the marsh because of wheel spacing and steel
                                                               wheels)
                                                  (4) Bolens Husky with Wisconsin ABN  unit type#B6A5 paint is good 

(5) Simpsons Model 30 S/N S1470 just the unit no motor simpsons is name on 
                                                                         plate on unit
                                                  (6) Planet Jr. on steel S/N 9331 Briggs BR6 engine attachment might be 
                                                                                   an onion digger paint is faded
                                                  (7) Planet Jr. (maybe) on steel with Toro Model MH #H881 crank engine  with 
                                                                                                  cultivator
                                                  (8) Simplicity model M1 with cultivator  engine is newer Briggs

(9) There are other units that look like Simplicity D or F (counterbalance weight out front )

(10) a couple of ploughs

(11) some units that I couldn't find any I.D. on them

(12) Wisconsin ABN engine just sitting there. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Very hard to throw out figures with out pictures to gauge the conditions of the tractors, the pre-war tractors usually always fetch the highest.

• jtrojek and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Very hard to throw out figures with out pictures to gauge the conditions of the tractors, the pre-war tractors usually always fetch the highest.

I know.  It's tough isn't it?  Hopefully they understand that when I e-mail them back.  I was thinking about proposing a visit to look at them, but I don't know.  I figure the best I can do is give them a range for each tractor ($50 - needs work and parts and not-running, all the way up to $300 - complete, running, needs nothing, and everything in between).  Past that, not much I can do.  I figure that's the only way to do it without more info and pictures.

• trowel said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:57 PM

The market in that particular area will determine the value.

Of course if its in Canada they might bring $1000 each ! :poke:

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:57 PM

I'm no expert at all except when the 'gotta have it fever'  hits me. IMO, putting  the 50-$75 minimum out there seems reasonable. Then as you say, the variables come in; hard price sale? auction style? how well advertised and who wants em'..

• jtrojek said thank you

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'm in the market for an ABN, especially if it has Waterloo markings on the tank.  My guess, though, is that it is actually an AB that belongs on the Simpson 30.  I'd like to see a picture of both.  Might even be a buyer.

I am also looking for a Simplicity/Waterloo plow with the hanger bars, like this:

Model 45 No3.jpg 433674.jpg 433675.jpg

• trowel and jtrojek have said thanks

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 05:02 PM

This is kind of harsh, but this is what they do over on another site.....

This_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures_2_zpsc1ced148.jpg

• Lauber1 and trowel have said thanks

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 05:34 PM

This is kind of harsh, but this is what they do over on another site.....

attachicon.gifThis_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures_2_zpsc1ced148.jpg

I'd have to agree, without some pictures to see what parts are original, and which one have been modified, it would be pretty hard to give any kind of prices.

• Gtractor said thank you

#9 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 05:39 PM

Alright, thanks.

#10 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:36 PM

The Choremaster with a cultivator but not the orginal engine would go for $75 To $125 around here depending on the condition.

• jtrojek said thank you

#11 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:05 PM

The Choremaster with a cultivator but not the orginal engine would go for $75 To $125 around here depending on the condition.

That's about what I figured.

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Jamie, out of curiosity, what is your website?  I didn't know you had one.

Ben W.

#13 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Jamie, out of curiosity, what is your website?  I didn't know you had one.

Ben W.

I just started it a few weeks back.  I still have a lot of work to do, but it's a start.  I still need tons of content under the Canadian section as well as the Other Collectors' section.  That reminds me: can I put a link to your site on my site?  Just let me know (you can PM me).  Here's the URL to my site: www.oldirongardentractors.com

Edited by jtrojek, March 12, 2014 - 08:11 PM.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:25 PM

That is neat, thanks.

#15 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:58 PM

I just started it a few weeks back.  I still have a lot of work to do, but it's a start.  I still need tons of content under the Canadian section as well as the Other Collectors' section.  That reminds me: can I put a link to your site on my site?  Just let me know (you can PM me).  Here's the URL to my site: www.oldirongardentractors.com

Jamie, you can absolutely put a link to my site from yours, and I'd be glad to do the same for you. 

Your site looks great, by the way.  I learned some things even from what you have out now.  :thumbs:  I can't wait to see when its all done. 

Ben w.

• trowel said thank you