• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 12:31 PM

Just found an auction going for a Ford 1500 from local county nearby. Looks sad but only thing I can see missing is a steering wheel. Tires won`t hold air and don`t know if it runs. Looks like it sat in the weeds for a long time, Don`t know if it was confiscated or county just quit using it.

Reckon what its worth with this info. Probably wouldn`t be able to do much to find if its` locked up or not. I figure it would be worth 500$ on a gamble....for parts of nothing else

Thoughts ??

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 01:36 PM

I would give $500 for it for the extra parts if it was closer!! 

I paid $3200 ( I would not sell it for what I paid for it)  a year ago last September for one with 571(I think) hrs a year ago last September with Rear Blade & 3 point scoop and 5 ft brushcutter & Chains

1 rear tire was 1 yr old and the other needing replaced. I replaced the tire and tube for about $300 ( that included an $80 service call for the install) last spring about this time. I really like the Tractor and it has been a lifesaver on my acreage.And I have put 200 hrs on it since I got it.   I have also replaced the water pump(about $100 and the Ignition switch which I think was about $80.

I got this one at that price because the previous owners wife asked him if he wanted a new Harley. He said he was not really a Harley guy but might buy a new tractor. He bought a New 38 Hp John Deere and did not need two tractors.

So long as the exhaust has been covered so water has not been running down on the valves it should be ok and not stuck. 

As a comparison I know where there is a 1710 sitting with a rebuilt engine and has been sitting in the salvage yard for 2 yrs(may be longer, that's just how long I have been watching it)  with both rear tires flat and the rims rotted off(Calcium Chloride) and they are asking $3500. That salvage yard hauls tractors in from all over the country.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 12, 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:41 PM

Those are a nice tractor and worth the effort to rebuild if you can get it cheap and if the engine is not shot.  

• SNUFFY said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:44 PM

Witht he parts drying up i would be very intrested in it for parts for yours.

If the engine is not locked and runs it would be worth every bit $500.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#5 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 12:33 PM

Well guys I won the auction. Gave more than the 500$ though.

After looking closer I figured out it was a 4wd. Had my girlfriend who works for the county too ask the guy if it was 4wd ....it was and then he added that to description on the website. :wallbanging: .

I feel I got it for a good price anyway....One thing I found by looking harder at the pic was that someone had welded a couple of elbows on the exhaust so it is actually turned down toward the ground. I felt better about bidding a little higher after seeing that. Found out it was  in the Parks and Recreation department. Turf tires make sense.

So I`m looking for tires soon probably and need a steering wheel quick. I found some listed online but not sure which one will fit...I something about 31 splines etc... Anybody know for sure ? also about the tires? I`ll be looking for Ag tires I guess. I have a service manual and after a quick look I haven`t been able to determine it the 4WD is full time or can be shifted out to 2WD.

Guy in the Parks dept said it would run with fuel, water and a battery. We`ll see I guess.

Thanks for the help guys.

As always thoughts, experiences are welcome !!

• trowel said thank you

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Congrates on the buy, hopefully it does run, would be a big plus and then some.

Im not sure were the shift lever would be for the 1500, i never took the 1200 out lol, leave it in all the time.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Ok for one thing 4wd adds about 500-1000 to value over 2 wd.
Second my 1500 is 2 wd so had to look in the owners manual.
The fwd selector is a nearly horizontal lever on the right side of the PTO selector lever back by the seat.
Snuffy if you like yours as much as I do mine you will be very pleased.

BTW Trowel the same owners manual runs from 1100-1900 so yours should be the same.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 27, 2014 - 09:47 PM.

• trowel and SNUFFY have said thanks

#8 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 11:55 AM

thanks JD....it should be an adventure. Gonna hang on to the Shibaura 14 till I see how this one goes. Shifting priorities (and money ) to the Ford for now. Found and got some new tines for the Shibaura rototiller though so need to get it together . May borrow the 3pt stuff from the ford for the Shi till I get the ford going.

Thanks for the help guys.

• trowel said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:32 PM

I will look in the manual tonight on the tires(missed that question). Mine has 9.5 X24 on the rear.

The 1500 is rated for the same size implements, that work on an 8N Ford so it should be fairly easy to find implements.

I have a Rear Blade, Rear Scoop, 5 ft Brush Mower, 6ft Landscape rake, 48" Gear Drive Tiller(Tarter Industries, same as King Cutter it really works the Ford) and am working on a Hiller Furrower.

• trowel and SNUFFY have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 06:50 PM

Snuffy the tire size is 6x14 front and 9.5 X24 rear. My 2wd runs a 4.00 x 12 front.
They make no mention of turf tire size.
The balloon design of turfs often make for running smaller diameter rims to not exceed rolling circumference on many tractors.
So you might want to check the tires on it. replacing tires on a 4wd there is a percentage difference in rolling circumference that you must not exceed to prevent driveline bind. I don't remember the number, but you should find that out before you buy tires

Trowel your 1300 runs 6x14 front & 8.3 X24 rear. if it were 2wd it too would run a 4.00 X12 front.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 28, 2014 - 07:03 PM.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Trowel your 1300 runs 6x14 front & 8.3 X24 rear. if it were 2wd it too would run a 4.00 X12 front.

Smaller, 1200 series.

• SNUFFY said thank you

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Smaller, 1200 series.

Sorry I knew better, here are the sizes for the 12oo
Ag front: 6.00-12

Ag rear: 8.00-16

Lawn/turf front: 23x8.5-12

Lawn/turf rear: 8.00-16
  • trowel said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 07:40 PM

No probs, thanks.

#14 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

Got to look at it this morning. About what I expected....sad, but it`s all there and could be a lot worse. Was going to remove steering wheel hub so I could confirm size/spline count etc. Well it didn`t have a nut as expected. Weird looking fastener flush with end of shaft. Looked at my parts book when I got home and turns out I have a power steering wheel that wasn`t started until November of `80. May have to take a grinder with a ziz wheel to get it off. By the book it looks to still have splines and thread. wheel is flat too where others are somewhat concave in shape. I wasn`t expecting power steering so a bonus I guess if it works !! Probably be next Monday before I get it home...so let the hunt begin for a steering wheel !!

#15 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 02:32 PM

after another look at the book the steering shaft has threads instead of splines . the metal thingy that you can see embedded into the steering wheel plastic may be made into it.

Anybody got one of these got any ideas ??