• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 bhendershot OFFLINE  

bhendershot

• Member No: 2569
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 02:31 PM

The Pony is an odd story. We do have a MH sickle bar mower on it now, which is missing about 4 of the original lift parts. My grandfather and I restored it when I was younger and here is how the story goes: From talking to Massey Harris collectors and doing some research, the serial number records Massey Harris kept indicate that it was a red Pony, about 200 units off of the gray as I recall (the serial plate says "Massey Harris-Ferguson"). When we got it, it had been spray painted red. Under the spray bomb, the tractor was painted Ferguson gray and there were the blue Ferguson "Pony" decals on the hood. Under the gray coat of paint was Massey Harris red, indicative of a tractor that had been pulled off of the production line and painted gray for the Ferguson dealers. Since the serial numbers did not match up, and it was my grandfathers decision, he painted it red. If I had it my way I would have taken pictures of the decals and painted it gray. From talking to collectors, many have said that Massey Harris was terrible at keeping records, nothing like how Deere and IHC kept track of things. So for now it is a red Pony, but collectors say that it is very well possible that it could be a true gray pony.

#17 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 04:43 PM

dont see to many gray ponies. i should say never seen one only in pictures. you have a lot of stuff. thats great. i have a 1951 tea20 ferguson tractor. tag says harry ferguson on it, then i saw a 1955 tea20 ferguson. it also had the harry ferguson tag, but above that was another tag that said massey harris ferguson.  

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:44 PM

If there was Grey under, it started its life as a Grey Pony.
The facts are a jumble, but a few things I am pretty sure of:
they were all 54's and 55's
If the tag says Massey-Harris-Ferguson (reds were just Massey Harris)
Also, the OEM tires would say Massey Harris Ferguson
54 was 23,149-23,853. 55 I think was kinda intertwined with the reds, but around 24,090

As the stories go that I've heard, Ferguson didnt have a tractor the size of the pony for their dealer network. The Grey Pony was a MH unit, painted Ferguson Grey and sent to a Ferguson Dealer. If it didnt sell (many didnt), it went to a Massey Harris dealer and got a red overpaint. Funny that the tractor that no one wanted to buy in 54 could be one of the most desirable small units now.
More important than that, red or grey, you and Grandpa had a restoration together and you have a memory you can't buy.

#19 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 03:08 PM

I believe i heard the same story about the ponies too. Noel 

• MH81 said thank you