O.K., so I found the sources of the oil leaks that put a thick coating of caked on dirt and oil everywhere. The muck went from the front of the grill and along the frame to the back of the mower deck. Apparently the leak started some time ago, and an attempt to stop the leak resulted in a snapped off bolt in the engine block. Well, I had a gasket set, a crankshaft seal, and a replacement bolt, so I dug into it today. Luckily, the remaining piece of the snapped off bolt just spun out of the block by hand. The engine case gasket was pushed out from between the case halves near the broken bolt, and the gasket was brittle and oil soaked. Also, the crankcase breather was over tightened, warped, and leaking. I straightened out the breather and installed it with a new gasket. I cleaned everything up and installed the crankcase seal and case half with a new gasket. It's all back together and dry as a bone.
I ran it around for a while today making repairs to the driveway with the plow. The tractor ran flawlessly, and it was sunny with temps in the low 60's. Got a lot more cleaning to do, but here's a few pics.
Edited by classic, March 11, 2014 - 05:45 PM.