Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 03:13 PM

If you could get an adapter made up, this would be an interesting possibility.http://store.coleman...used-p-120.html  $400 for a new engine is pretty cheap. Good Luck, Rick

Those are decent engines and, if you remove the restrictor, they can get more hp. However, the one listed is a pull start--not sure what it would take to get electric start on them.

Smitty

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 03:20 PM

The engine model # and spec # indicate it is 1 1/4" shaft. Unfortunately.  That is why I think changing to a new motor and locating a new pulley may prove less complicated and more readily available.  I just need to take some actual measurements off the existing setup and then try to find the right motor with the closest spec number and then start the install/modification process.  Problem right now is I have not started to rip this apart to get a closer look at the shaft, pulley assembly, bolt pattern etc.  I presume staying with a Kohler would be the best bet based on electrical and fuel pump considerations.

Thanks for the reply.

It's easy to adapt an engine with a smaller sized crankshaft to your pulleys.

I had to put a K341 out of a JD into my Ford LGT... the JD crankshaft was smaller. I bought a couple sleeve bearings to use as spacers from McMaster-Carr.  Put a slot in them for the keyway, and bought a rectangular keyway-- 1/4" x 5/16" in my case from MM-C as well.  Worked pretty good.

The B&S Vanguards are good engines, but pricey new. A Kohler Magnum or Briggs flat twin is quite a bit cheaper.  Get the Kohler Magnum as it's solid state ignition.  Most of the later-model Briggs are solid state.

If you find a good running Onan P-228, etc. twin it may be worth your while--they're also solid state, but they're more expensive to rebuild when the time comes.

The other possibility is a diesel twin.  Look at these engines http://a1biofuel.net...25hp-Specs.html

The engine is 22 peak hp/16-18hp operating. He's selling them for $1,449 delivered. I talked with Ole at length a couple times.  He is pretty selective about which Chinese mfr he uses. Also provides parts support.   Cheaper than the Vanguard, and a diesel's torque to boot.

HTH,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 18, 2014 - 03:45 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you