• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MansGT19 OFFLINE  

MansGT19
  • Member No: 54057
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:41 PM

New member here.  I am looking for help with repowering my GT19 that finally 'died' during the last snow storm here in Massachusetts.  The KT19S just started shaking, coughing and then 'fell asleep'.  Engine turns over real quick and doesn't seem like there is any compression.  I have not taken it out of the tractor yet but would like to repower it with a new motor.  Rebuilding doesn't seem like a reasonable choice. 

Has anyone done this that could suggest a Kohler motor (18,19 or 20hp) that would fit with minimal mods?  Seems like all the newer motors have 1" or 1 1/8" shafts which means a new pulley for the front PTO.  Are they readily available?

I run a 48" snowblower, and have AG tires on with wheel weights and the whole setup works real well.  I hate to abort the machine because no one up here in the Northeast does this kind of modification and cannot advise.   I would like more power than the tired Kohler that broke.

Tractor Frame : Model # 931029    Serial # 001178

Engine :  Model KT19S   Spec # 49202  Serial # 14165177

Thanks for the help.

MansGT19

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:12 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. Sorry to hear about the Kohler giving up in your Ariens.  There are likely lots of engines that will fit. Is the crank 30mm 1.181". I know the crank on my JD314  Kohler K321 is that size.  Most of the folks who are buying new engines to repower JD 318's, 400s etc are going with the Briggs Vanguard twins. They come from about 16 to at least 23hp.  If you are lucky you can sometimes find good newer used Kohlers at reasonable prices. A lot of times it's the engine that you can find and afford that ends up in the tractor rather than the one you want. 

• boyscout862 and MansGT19 have said thanks

#3 MansGT19 OFFLINE  

MansGT19
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:31 PM

The crank on the KT19 is : 2-23/32” x 1-1/4”

That is one of the major problems - I have not found anything with the 1 1/4" diameter. 

I am not partial to the Kohler, just thought it might fit with less mods.  Are the Vanguards a better motor?

The bolt pattern is not an issue either since I will probably need to make a mounting plate to raise the height of the crank anyway. 

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Welcome to GTT. Sorry to hear about the engine too. I'd take that engine out and inspect it thoroughly before making any other plans. It may be just a broken cam gear. IF it isn't worth saving then look at replacements. Measure the mounting bolt pattern and the pto size. To check other possible engines. This is a quick possibility  http://www.surplusce...ANK-28-1781.axd.

You may just want a used one. Craigslist and your local papers may have a good used engine, but be very skeptical. I've gotten good engines when buy used GTs with blown transmissions. The entire GT is usually under $100 where they would want much more for just the engine.

If you have the time to wait, there will be plenty of swap meets starting in April. Good Luck, Rick

BTW there are plenty of us Yankees that do modifications.

Edited by boyscout862, March 11, 2014 - 03:38 PM.

• MansGT19 said thank you

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:38 PM

Jim's can order a replacement for that engine, it would include a shim kit to bring the new engine up higher and would include the throttle and choke cables, I think. The shaft diameter can be ordered larger, (which would increase the cost and the wait) or you could sleeve the shaft. 18, 20, or 23 hp Briggs. Around $2,000 and up, if I remember right.

A Kohler Magnum 18 (M18) is a workable replacement. I don't think that would need to be shimmed, and the length of the engine would be correct. Finding a good used one of those would be cheaper.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:51 PM

The KT19 is a bigger model of the KT17, which was prone to blowing rods and Kohler doesn't back them up with parts anymore. You sure on that shaft size???  1-1/8" is very common and easiest to find. Could you have measured wrong? If not, diff pulley or clutch will be needed I guess. Swap Meets now days are mostly Garden Tractors and bet you could find one that way. I would think any opposed twin Kohler as mentioned would drop in with no or little  changes.  The V-twin Vanguards are fairly cheap and many sizes, but have more modern fuel cut-offs and diff electric systems, not sure how hard to adapt those. Different exhausts too, so not sure how much room you have for that in different place.

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,513 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:53 PM

Welcome to the forums!

A lot depends on your preference new or used. The kohler magnum should be an easy fit. I have heard a lot of good about the Vanguard also. Depending on what came loose with the Kohler, it might be cheaper and easier to fix it, might be worth checking it out. If it felt like it was getting sleepy, an overhaul might wake it up.

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:41 PM

If you could get an adapter made up, this would be an interesting possibility.http://store.coleman...used-p-120.html  $400 for a new engine is pretty cheap. Good Luck, Rick

• diesel nut and MansGT19 have said thanks

#9 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Those 4a032 military engines are a pretty cool engine .

I've bought a  couple and installed one in a cub hydro GT with some mods . They rotate in the opposite direction than what a Kohler rotates  .

You would have to install the flywheel end towards the front of the tractor and drive the tractor off the pulley end .

Also finding a starter is an issue as they come without one and are pull start for field use . They do have mounting bosses for a optional starter which is 24 volts and almost the size of a car starter . 

I did a lot of research and found a 12 volt Artic Cat snowmobile starter that worked .

Weight wise there actually lighter than the  kohler twins and  size wise they are comparable if not slightly smaller .

All in all if you go that route you've got a lot of modifications to do . BTDT .

Edited by Jlaws, March 11, 2014 - 09:12 PM.

• boyscout862 and MansGT19 have said thanks

#10 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 11:03 PM

I went with a 13 hp Honda clone. took some work, but it will work fine. new engine under warranty cost 300 canuck bucks, a year or so ago.

I had to build an adapter for the flywheel, make a mounting plate, and it has a 1 inch shaft, but it seems to do the job.

It replaced the kohler in my LGT165. a little less power but it was sitting here in another project I abandoned.

#11 MansGT19 OFFLINE  

MansGT19
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:23 AM

The KT19 is a bigger model of the KT17, which was prone to blowing rods and Kohler doesn't back them up with parts anymore. You sure on that shaft size???  1-1/8" is very common and easiest to find. Could you have measured wrong? If not, diff pulley or clutch will be needed I guess. Swap Meets now days are mostly Garden Tractors and bet you could find one that way. I would think any opposed twin Kohler as mentioned would drop in with no or little  changes.  The V-twin Vanguards are fairly cheap and many sizes, but have more modern fuel cut-offs and diff electric systems, not sure how hard to adapt those. Different exhausts too, so not sure how much room you have for that in different place.

The engine model # and spec # indicate it is 1 1/4" shaft. Unfortunately.  That is why I think changing to a new motor and locating a new pulley may prove less complicated and more readily available.  I just need to take some actual measurements off the existing setup and then try to find the right motor with the closest spec number and then start the install/modification process.  Problem right now is I have not started to rip this apart to get a closer look at the shaft, pulley assembly, bolt pattern etc.  I presume staying with a Kohler would be the best bet based on electrical and fuel pump considerations.

Thanks for the reply.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 MansGT19 OFFLINE  

MansGT19
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:31 AM

Welcome to the forums!

A lot depends on your preference new or used. The kohler magnum should be an easy fit. I have heard a lot of good about the Vanguard also. Depending on what came loose with the Kohler, it might be cheaper and easier to fix it, might be worth checking it out. If it felt like it was getting sleepy, an overhaul might wake it up.

Thanks for the reply shorty.  I would prefer to go new.  Even though a magnum might be a easy fit I do not want to have a used engine with unknown health that I may have to rebuild as well. I want to go new and be done for a while even though it may take time to 'fit' it in there, when it's complete it should run well for quite some time.  I agree that I should investigate what went wrong with my current setup, just need to wait for the weather to break and warm up a bit.

#13 MansGT19 OFFLINE  

MansGT19
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:34 AM

I went with a 13 hp Honda clone. took some work, but it will work fine. new engine under warranty cost 300 canuck bucks, a year or so ago.

I had to build an adapter for the flywheel, make a mounting plate, and it has a 1 inch shaft, but it seems to do the job.

It replaced the kohler in my LGT165. a little less power but it was sitting here in another project I abandoned.

Thanks chopperhed - 13 hp is much to small to drive the 48" snowblower.  Sounds like the mods you had to do will be what I am faced with though if I change to a new motor.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#14 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Those 4a032 military engines are a pretty cool engine .

I've bought a  couple and installed one in a cub hydro GT with some mods . They rotate in the opposite direction than what a Kohler rotates  .

The Army gets most things backwards. I am very interested in these engines. Please post a thread about your experience. I think several of us may use one to repower a GT. Good Luck, Rick

• Jlaws said thank you

#15 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Boyscout862 , I could write a book on those 4a032 engines .

The Coleman site list them at 155 lbs . but that includes the wooden crate they come in , and truthfully they don't weigh 100 lbs .

I'm not a big guy but I easily lifted it in and out of the frame when I was mocking up frame mounts for installing it in a cub cadet .  

They were rated out of the crate at a laughable 6 hp. , but what I've learned is that rating was made at like 12, 000 ft altitude .

Probably one of the criteria that the military demanded for those engines .

I'd say they probably run about 12-18 hp out of the box , and with a few carb modification or changing to a larger ventura carb with larger jets its been said that you can get  over 20 hp . out of them .

They are a very smooth running and fast revving engine .

There is a lot of information on the internet , and youtube videos where guys are using them for powering generators , airboats , ultralights , etc.

Edited by Jlaws, March 12, 2014 - 12:44 PM.

• Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks