• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 01:51 PM

I recently got a Shibaura 14 grey market and the rice tires have got to go. They are nearly new (look brand new). 8x16 I`m guessing metric bolt pattern. Its a 5 lug with about 5 3/8-5 1/4 in inches
The li`l tractor is a little narrow so what I`d like to do is get a wider tire on a offset rim to widen the stance a little..not a whole lot....maybe 4-6 inches overall tread and offset combined.
I assuming the rims are 8 inch...can I put a wider tire on these rims. I`ve seen some spacers that can be added to the hub. or would I need to go ahead and get some new rims with some offset built in. Of course trying save money when I can.
Thoughts, experiences and opinions are appreciated.

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:52 PM

Snuffy are you going to use this in the garden?  My Ford Wheels are set at 48" which works out good with 36" row spacing for straddling rows. It is something to think about.  Sometimes I think you either have to consider straddling the rows or driving between.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,698 Thanks
  • 8,891 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:54 PM

First off, are your rims offset at all, and would flipping them around widen or narrow it's stance?

• SNUFFY said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:20 PM

I just looked on the Carlisle site and it says an 8x16 uses a 6" rim for their AG tire. You could go to a 10x16 with an 8" rim.  Are you planning to stay with AG tires. You might want to have a look at the major AG tire dealers or manufacturers to see what info you can get on available sizes. 2" wider tires with 1 inch spacers on each side would give you 4" of extra width. That would make a big difference and if you load them or use wheel weights it will lower your centre of gravity and help with stability. 

• SNUFFY said thank you

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 04:42 PM

What size are the rice tires?

• SNUFFY said thank you

#6 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 12:05 PM

I will doing the garden thing and hope I can find a cultivator set-up at the auction this weekend.

The wheel have very little offset and turning them around would make it narrower and yes I will consider loading the tires or weights if I could find them. 

Ag tires would be what I need but if I could find a set of wheels with turf tires I would probably get them . Be nice to have a extra set after garden work is done. Have been looking around at some tires online....not in a big hurry and will dig around locally to see what I might stumble onto.

The tires I have now are 8x16 on the tire.

Thanks for the ideas guys !!