• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 01:34 PM

In trying to update my new to me Shibaura 14....basically bring up to date on oil,antifreeze....etc  so I`ll know when they were changed. I decide to invest in some new glow plugs to eliminate that as one factor in the slow/hard to start first time of the day problem. After digging around and found some that should fit on Ebay for 20$ each w /free shipping. Only concern was they were coming from India. So I called my local ford dealer just to see....he had them for 53$ each. Researched the India Co a little and decided to try it. I knew some of this stuff was going to be expensive but dang. I imagine they are probably all made by  the same foreign manufacturer anyway

.We`ll see!! Hate not to use local but that's just too much difference.

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:55 PM

What's the brand of glow plug and part #? Maybe one of us can cross reference it and find something cheaper domestically. Also, what engine do you have?

• superaben said thank you

#3 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:31 AM

In trying to update my new to me Shibaura 14....basically bring up to date on oil,antifreeze....etc  so I`ll know when they were changed. I decide to invest in some new glow plugs to eliminate that as one factor in the slow/hard to start first time of the day problem. After digging around and found some that should fit on Ebay for 20$ each w /free shipping. Only concern was they were coming from India. So I called my local ford dealer just to see....he had them for 53$ each. Researched the India Co a little and decided to try it. I knew some of this stuff was going to be expensive but dang. I imagine they are probably all made by  the same foreign manufacturer anyway

.We`ll see!! Hate not to use local but that's just too much difference.

Snuffy can't you cross the # to napa or some other part store. I would give that a try before sending my money to India. Cheaper is not always better.

Edited by Kyocum, March 12, 2014 - 07:32 AM.

#4 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 12:19 PM

Kinda having to do everything on the fly with the nightshift work schedule so getting out and looking is iffy at times. The part number listed from India was the same number Ford had. Apparently the glowplug is the same for all the Shibaura/Ford 100 series engines too. I`ve heard that Napa has some parts I will be able to use.

I figure for 20$ each ,no tax (tax here is 9.75%), no shipping (nearly hour drive to dealer) was worth the gamble. The company also has gauges and stuff for antique and other tractors too so they are somewhat in the loop. I ve found a company in VietNam of all places that sell the exact same tractor ,reconditioned in lots of 6. They look brand new. Go figure :dancingbanana:

#5 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:54 PM

just an update on the glow plugs from India.

I ordered them Monday the 10th...they said would be here between 18th and 25th......they arrived about noon yesterday the 13th....Fed Ex !!

How in the world they do that is hard to believe.

I`m 40 year Union Steamfitter Welder and big supporter of buying American but........ Since the parts aren`t made here anyway and the dealer sells Kubotas alongside the New Holland.....making some money is Ok but 120$ vs $40 plus an hour drive delivered to the door...... :(

Edited by SNUFFY, March 14, 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:35 AM

A question for you folks! On my Toro with the Mitsubishi K3D engine, the voltage to the glow plugs is only 9 volts to the first and about 7.5 at the 3rd one. Do you think cleaning the connections would help? I never have seen a red glow from the indicator. It won't be long and I will be using this a bunch.

• Genem said thank you

#7 Genem OFFLINE  

Genem
  • Member No: 52933
  • 65 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Kenny. My toro acts same as you describe. If you hold the switch on long enough, the glow indicator will light, but the wires are then warm enough to smell that you should let go of the switch. Gene

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:11 AM

I need to do some service on it soon. May just clean connections and see what happens. Wiring needs a bit of TLC anyway. This thing sat for a # of years and surprised me when it started.

#9 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 10:46 AM

A question for you folks! On my Toro with the Mitsubishi K3D engine, the voltage to the glow plugs is only 9 volts to the first and about 7.5 at the 3rd one. Do you think cleaning the connections would help? I never have seen a red glow from the indicator. It won't be long and I will be using this a bunch.

My take on this, less because of any glow plug knowledge but because of electrical knowledge, is to try and get as high a voltage as possible to your plugs.  They will heat faster and better with good volts, good amps.

Power & Volts.JPG

I whipped up the above spreadsheet illustrating how power (heat) is affected by voltage loss.   Your glowplug has a constant resistance regardless of voltage as illustrated by the repeating (1) in the first column.  The next column uses decreasing voltages to calculate the decreasing amp draw and the decreasing power put out by the glow plug.   Notice that by the time the voltage is down to 9, you have lost nearly 50 % of your power.   I'd almost go as far as saying, replace the wiring with a heavier guage wire if cleaning contact points doesn't do the trick.

PS, I am assuming your battery is good, and is producing 12 volts the entire time.  If battery voltage is sagging badly, then you may need a new battery.

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 15, 2014 - 10:50 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I have a Bolens with the Mitsubishi K3D, and I've never seen the glow plug indicator glow either. It still starts well in cold weather though.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 01:37 PM

OB and Kenny, it is possible the PO took the indicator out of the wiring loop. They do grab a lot of the available voltage. My KE 70 Mitsu lights up after about 5 seconds. I run mine for 30 seconds, release; and do it again before attempting to start without it plugged in. I had similar voltages to Kenny when I first got it. New wiring got it jumped up another half to a full volt. Taking the indicator out of the circuit put it at nearly full voltage.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Battery is not an issue! I'll clean the connections and do another voltage check here before long. May even pull the glow plugs for a look/see.