30 replies to this topic

#16 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 01:10 PM

you should have dropped it off here in mass, we could have painted it for you. Im doing a 75 now

I should have.  Would have loved to meet you, and it sounds like I wasn't too far away.

Buying the tractor for the daughter sure is a nice idea. Hopefully it will hold their interest in tractors for a good long time. But I'd hold off on that full blown restoration for a bit - at least until the novelty of the "play thing" wears off :-)
Real nice find!

Big AL

No restoration planned in the immediate future.  At most I'm going to fix a few small mechanical things, and perhaps try to get that clear coat/shellac off to return it to original paint.  I'm happy if it's running right for now.  I have other, more pressing projects that I need to finish first before I even think about tearing this apart.  I've got to get my Shaw running, operating and painted before spring so it's ready to go for shows.  That's priority number one.  It'll likely be a year or two at the very earliest before I even start thinking about restoring this one.  If I can get the original paint back, then I may not restore it at all.  I'll have to see what happens there and then decide.

• Panzerguy said thank you

#17 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,732 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 04:17 PM

Boy that sure looks like a nice GT! I'm happy that you got it!

#18 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:45 AM

I should have.  Would have loved to meet you, and it sounds like I wasn't too far away.

No restoration planned in the immediate future.  At most I'm going to fix a few small mechanical things, and perhaps try to get that clear coat/shellac off to return it to original paint.  I'm happy if it's running right for now.  I have other, more pressing projects that I need to finish first before I even think about tearing this apart.  I've got to get my Shaw running, operating and painted before spring so it's ready to go for shows.  That's priority number one.  It'll likely be a year or two at the very earliest before I even start thinking about restoring this one.  If I can get the original paint back, then I may not restore it at all.  I'll have to see what happens there and then decide.

There's a lot to be said about keeping things in original condition too, especially if it's already in good shape to begin with.
Here's a picture of a tractor like yours that I spotted at the Nittany Antique Machinery Show in Center Hall, PA last Sept. Pretty nice original.

Attached Thumbnails

• Nittany Show 2013-127.JPG

#19 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 10:59 AM

I agree with Al, some look so good you don't want to restore them . more preserve them. I wish we could still get the old lacer they painted them with. I like the shine with new paint but its not the same as original finish. Plus the fact they didn't use much paint.

#20 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 11:08 AM

I am hoping the original paint is good.  I'd rather not paint as it's not my favourite thing.  I'd rather keep it original, warts and all.  It was mentioned to me that I may try powerwashing off that unwanted paint, but to be careful because I don't want to take the original paint off either.  I may try that, very carefully, on an inconspicuous spot.  It'd be nice if that worked.  The unwanted paint does seem to come off relatively easily, so I would think that as long at the original paint isn't flaking too (which it doesn't seem to be), it just may work.  We'll see.  It's worth it to me to try a few things to try to bring the original paint back.  If I can't, then I'll think about painting it (but no time soon).

Edited by jtrojek, March 13, 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#21 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 03:07 PM

They can only be original once. :thumbs:

As far as modern paints being too shiny...  this Panzer was painted with house paint.  It gives more of a satin sheen than an all out gloss.  It's probably closer to what the original finishes were like.  I know on the spots where original paint shows on my Meteor, it's nearly flat.

SAM_2632.JPG

• IamSherwood said thank you

#22 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:41 PM

" They can only be original once" I like that phrase. I wish I had thought of it.
You're right about the original finish on the Panzers having a flatter look compared to the high gloss finish you see on a lot of the show tractors. A good comparison would be an original finish on a John Deere A compared to the high gloss automotive show finish on a grade A restoration.
All of my stuff was done with automotive acrylic enamel with a small amount of wet-look hardener added at mixing. If I didn't add the hardener, the finish would come out pretty much as the original, which is kind of a semi-gloss.
As Chris pointed out, the paint seems to have been applied fairly thin. Probably just a quick application to give it some kind of protective coating and that's it.

#23 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 08:04 AM

" They can only be original once" I like that phrase. I wish I had thought of it.

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for that one. :thumbs:

I know I heard or read it somewhere but have no idea where.

#24 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 11:26 AM

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for that one. :thumbs:
I know I heard or read it somewhere but have no idea where.

Hey Jim;
Not to get off the subject, but do you go to the Dover , PA show in Aug? I've been there the past two years and wonder if I ran into you there. Last year the wife and I were there with her 707es and the teardrop camper. VGTCOA is supposed to be there this year.
Al

#25 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 01:00 PM

Yes, I see you at several local shows and talked to you a bit at Dover and Penn's Cave last fall. Don't know if you remember but at Penn's Cave I was asking about the Hiller Yard Hand article. Did the guy selling the Hiller at the show ever find you? I didn't know about the VGTCOA connection. I was actually thinking about skipping Dover for the Gathering of the Orange 100th the same weekend.

By the way, my wife loves your camper/Panzer display.

#26 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 06:33 AM

I've been slowly working away at this and that in the garage and finally took a look at the Panzer.  I need to work on the steering as it's sloppy, but it is useable for now.  I cleaned the carb and got it running perfectly (or so I thought).  The engine doesn't smoke or anything, not even a hint of it.  Took it for a drive down the street and near my driveway, it throttled down all by itself to an idle and wanted to stall as I continued to drive it at an idle.  I played with the throttle moving it up and down but the cable wasn't moving at the carb no matter what I did so I figured throttle cable issue.  I reached down to the throttle arm and moved the throttle with my hand, holding it in place.  The engine responded as it should and ran as it should as long as I help the throttle manually.  If I took my hand off, then it would idle right back down.  Anyway, I pulled into the driveway and took my hand off the throttle.  The engine idled down and backfired a few times and then died.  I got off and looked at the throttle cable at the control on the dash.  Looked like the cable was loose at the control so I tightened it up.  I then moved the throttle control up and down and it seemed to be working fine at the other end at the carb as I could see the throttle opening up and closing.  I then also noticed that the other end that held the cable near the governor was also loose and moving, so I tightened that too.  Checked the throttle movement again and it all looked good.  I figured I fixed it.  Anyway, I started the engine up again, and it seemed to work fine, so I throttled up and then went to drive it again.  When I did that, the throttle idled right back down again all on its own with the same issue - no matter how I moved the throttle control, it didn't move the throttle at the carb.  If I manually moved the throttle on the carb with my hand, it revved up and ran fine.  Then I noticed that it seemed like the movement in the cable when I tried to change the throttle stopped at the governor.  I shut it off, and again, the throttle moved fine using the control if the engine was off.  Soooooooo, in terms of trouble shooting, I figure that my best bet is to start with the governor.  Perhaps something is loose or needs to be adjusted.  So I figure that tomorrow I'll start this fun episode by setting the governor according to specs (found instructions on GTTalk), snug everything up, and then see if that affects it.  

Then, if that doesn't do the trick, I guess I'll move on the the usual suspects: ignition system and fuel system.  Does that sound reasonable?  I'm guessing it's in the throttle linkage somewhere or in the governor as it seemed to run fine if I throttled it up at the carb with my hand.  I would think that if it were a fuel or spark issue the problems would have continued even revving the engine by hand, but it didn't. That's why I'll move onto these things second.

Also, I should say that the previous owner said it needed a new fuel pump.  That's not my first guess as to the problem here, but still, this is my first Kohler engine.  All of my other garden tractors have been Briggs or Wisconsins.  So, does the K181s have a fuel pump?  If so, where the heck is it?  The fuel line goes straight from the tank to the carb.  Maybe it was removed at some point?  He said that the tractor will run out of gas with a quarter of fuel still in the tank.  Fill it up and it runs fine.  I put in new fuel lines, checked the tank, and put in a new fuel filter.  Does this thing have a fuel pump?  Does it need a fuel pump?  When it was running, it seemed to run will the way it was.

Thanks a bunch.  Just trying to come up with a gameplan now so that I can tackle it tomorrow night (busy tonight with other things).  

Jamie

#27 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 07:26 AM

The fuel pump should be right below the carb. Sorry for the bad picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• fuel pump.jpg

Edited by panzersarebest, May 29, 2014 - 08:59 AM.

• jtrojek said thank you

#28 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 10:45 AM

If it's a T-758es, it more than likely came with the fuel pump but it should still run without it - at least on fairly level ground. From everything you're saying here, the governor is probably your problem.

AL
  • jtrojek said thank you

#29 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 11:23 AM

The fuel pump should be right below the carb. Sorry for the bad picture.

That's about what I was looking for.  I don't have one.  I thought I was going crazy as I couldn't seem to find it, questioning my sanity.  It makes more sense to know that was likely removed.  Maybe I'll find one and put it on down the road, as long as I can get it working for now.  Thanks for the help!

If it's a T-758es, it more than likely came with the fuel pump but it should still run without it - at least on fairly level ground. From everything you're saying here, the governor is probably your problem.

AL

It is the T-758es with the K181s Kohler.  I'm thinking governor too at the moment, although I've never had a governor issue act like that before.  I'm sure it's not uncommon, it's just that I have yet to personally run into it.  Hopefully that's it: an easy fix and a lesson learned.  Thanks for the help!

Edited by jtrojek, May 29, 2014 - 11:23 AM.

• panzersarebest said thank you

#30 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 02:29 PM

I reset the governor, but still nothing.  I then took out the spark plug and had a look at it.  It wasn't fouled.  I checked the spark and the spark was shooting all over the place, not between the electrodes where it should be.  I didn't even know that was possible.  Anyway, I had an extra plug so I tried that - perfect spark.  I put it back together with the new plug in it and it fired right up and ran tolerably well, at least back to how it was before.  So, I guess that means it was the plug.  I still have some other work to do on the Panzer, and only time will tell if that was indeed the engine issue, but for now I'm pleased.  At least it runs and is mobile.  On to other, more pressing issues with other garden tractors for now.

• Clint and panzersarebest have said thanks