• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 03:58 PM

The extension with the 3" shorter arms would make it really nice.

maybe I didn't say it correctly. The extension bolts to the handle you pull on, not the arm. It adds almost 18" to the handel.  There were also some tiny braket that bolted to the lift arms, that give you a higher lift for things like the seeder. The best 3pts lift the attachment straight up off the ground.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 04:27 PM

maybe I didn't say it correctly. The extension bolts to the handle you pull on, not the arm. It adds almost 18" to the handel.  There were also some tiny braket that bolted to the lift arms, that give you a higher lift for things like the seeder. The best 3pts lift the attachment straight up off the ground.

Oh, no you said it right, I understood perfectly.
They made the handle extension and also shorter arms for the 3 point. The shorter arms came with some tillers and were 3" shorter than the regular ones.

I also agree with the "straight up" statement. I see a lot of toplinks set short and the implement leaning way forward. You expect a little lean, but not to much.
  • HowardsMF155 and Lauber1 have said thanks

#18 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 05:33 PM

Wow, I forgot completely about the short arms for tillers. all the pre 65 units came with short lift arm, as a part of the tiller. You had to remove your normal arms and top link, then use the ones that came with the tiller. There was also the odd setup for the sprayer where you only used a part of the 3pt, and the hayrake where you have to remove the 3pt stuff completely.

• MH81 and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#19 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • Member No: 54173
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:33 PM

Was that also true for later 3PT's and later tillers?

I ask because when I first tried out my tiller, it seemed to "walk and wobble" a lot more than I expected, and I wonder if that's the point of the shorter arms.

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:51 PM

Was that also true for later 3PT's and later tillers?

I ask because when I first tried out my tiller, it seemed to "walk and wobble" a lot more than I expected, and I wonder if that's the point of the shorter arms.

Could be. I think the shorter arms brought weight closer to tractor to make it easier to lift.

When I was only 8 or 9 yrs old, I was at my uncle and helped him unpack and put together a 3pt rotospader rear tiller for his Sears.... had I only known what it was and I would be a sears guy 35 yrs later.

• MH81, searstractorfan and TX_Dj have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hitch, 3 point, sears