15 replies to this topic

#1 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Located in Central VA.

3 of the Early gold round hooded Suburbans, made 1959-1961.

First is a 917.60616 serial 10258 that is complete except for the belt gaurd. It has a Briggs 170412 type 1692-01. Tractor runs, moves, and has a complete mower assembly. Still needs some tinkering.

Second is a 917-60613 serial 6633 with a Briggs 7 hp 170402 type 2215-01. Has a homemade electric start, runs and drives, but has been modded. Has a 3 pt and home made cultivator.

Third is a 917.60614 that is for parts, but has everything the second is missing.

I also am including an original engine 143407 serial 502625 with great compression that I have had running, but the coil is shot now. The recoil needs to be rebuilt.

As you see, there is enough to build one nice original tractor and a second runner.

$700 for the whole package.

contact iwlbcnu@hotmail.com

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg

Edited by IWLBCNU, March 11, 2014 - 05:59 AM.

• superaben said thank you

#2 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 07:52 AM

I am glad you are too far away cause I have no money, that would be tempting.....I would love to have one of the round hooded DB's.

Edited by TAHOE, March 11, 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:30 AM

Wow, that is very high for a basket cases tractors IMO, unfinished projects.

The mule drive on the hooded one is worth a pile in itself, they look mostly there.

Jeff will be able to pick through theses, find whats missing, the years and give a much better estimate then i ever can.

Still, it leaves a wanting impression.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Still, it leaves a wanting impression.

You're right, Jesse.  They are missing parts and pieces and they are as ugly and unpainted as they come. 

They are hard to find in my area, though. 

I happen to be 1/4 involved in the deal in the past and know a little bit of what he paid for these things.  There are missing pieces, but you are really looking at about $230 per tractor, and less than that if you value #1 with the mower deck higher like I do. 

Not to mention the fact that they come from a real David Bradley collector who knows his tractors. 

Just my two cents.  Might be counterfeit.  Who knows. 

Ben W.

Edited by superaben, March 11, 2014 - 09:40 PM.

• trowel and IWLBCNU have said thanks

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 09:51 PM

well two of them look like ones I've here before. I would value a deck at about nothing, as they make the tractor hard to use with most other attachments without taking it off, and its not that friendly to put on and off. Now a 3pt hitch is something you cant own a Suburban without, as its the key part to using most of the attachments. A good 3pt will put $100+ on a worthless tractor. Brakes I can go either way on, as if you live on flat ground like me, they don't into play, but they are a cool looking item. Looks to me that there is enough to make two pretty useable tractors. I've know Mr Colvin for a while and he ok in my book and knowledgeable on the machines.

• trowel, IWLBCNU and superaben have said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Your right, it is hard in some areas, i understand the feeling, they always seems to show up here once in a while in the fall and spring,  i might know of the seller in one way or another, in reality, just about all the DB riders i have ever seen were basket cases or projects.

If you find one in my area PM me and if not too far, i'll see about pick up and dry storage until you can arrange for the drive back home.

It would be the least i could do.

Edit : Have heard of  Colvin around, nice guy.

Edited by trowel, March 11, 2014 - 09:53 PM.

• IWLBCNU and superaben have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Jeff L., the only reason I put more value on the deck is that it seems that at least in what I do, that's the second most popular implement I sell out of here for old tractors, and probably the most requested.

just about all the DB riders i have ever seen were basket cases or projects.

I don't know why that's the case, but its true. 

Don't promise too much about pickup up tractors and dry storage, now... who knows, this ol' boy might take you up on it, and that wouldn't be good for your space.  :D

Ben W.

• trowel said thank you

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 10:30 PM

I can go for that, different people like different stuff on there tractor. As I grew up and live in the middle of corn country I don't have much need for things that could only mow grass. City guys probably eat this up, but if you put one out in the middle of a field, plowing they would get a whole different outlook on what an early Suburban was all about.  

and yes if you got long term , dry storage, i'll pack it up to the rafters, and send one of the tractor/trailers from work over to pick it up.

• trowel said thank you

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Heh, the horses will be left out in the cold, lol, would have no place to put the hay, need to sell a few thing for room, the shop has a 67 Corvair sitting in my way right now.

I do hay every year, thousands of bales,......cutting grass is second nature.

#10 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 05:19 AM

"Yes honey, it's for sale, I can't help it no one is buying"

My problem with pricing stuff, price out 3 speed changer pulleys, 3 reverses, split front rims, 3 pt, and the hoods and grills and you are there. 2 hood and grill setups have gone for over 200 in the last six months. I hate parting, but it makes it hard when this is how you support your own collection. I go to a show and everyone wants to buy mine, get one I don't want and can't get rid of it. As to mower decks, it has taken me 6 years to find 2, the one here is the first, and I finally got a NICE one to keep.

Locally alot has gone to the scrapper!!

Remember, you can always come down, kinda hard to go back up ;) I've got room, nothing HAS to sell ;)

• trowel said thank you

#11 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• Member No: 2691
  • 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:06 AM

I can tell you this, in CT I've seen one in real life in about the last 10 years. Even at full $700 asking price, you could steal all the good parts you need for one complete tractor, put all the remaining parts together into another tractor and Craiglist it for $2-250 easily. Now you have one (hard to find) complete machine for $450-500. Even if you never got around to the restoration project and decided at a later date to sell, you'll get your $450-500 back in a heartbeat - especially on eBay. I think his pricing is dead-on. Just my $0.02.  

• IWLBCNU and JakeKuhn have said thanks

#12 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, I plan to Ebay this weekend just to see what happens. As to the complete one, all that is missing is the belt gaurd (which i think I still have a blank one from Rick) and the original engine. I need to adjust the reverse cable and verify throttle cable operation and it is ready to go. The mower spins, but needs bearing cleanup and belts.It really isn't that bad of a tractor.

The second is in decent shape, just a hodge podge of engineering. The third would complete it.

Personally I would take the engine, (which is original for an electric start but was missing the flywheel and shroud when i got it, so I took the charging stuff off and added the correct non-electric flywheel and shroud from a parts engine), add a new coil and make the first one original.

I already have a nice '61 and '62 and don't want to get into the models game like I have with the walkers. I'm out of dry storage.

• trowel and superaben have said thanks

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 01:13 PM

I am in Simplicity riders right now, your Suburbans would be a neat project and well worth the time.

Dry storage is a bit of a game, even on a farm it fills up quick, im prepping for a addition, the Corvair has been in my way for too long now.

#14 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• Member No: 2691
  • 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:07 AM

I am in Simplicity riders right now, your Suburbans would be a neat project and well worth the time.

Dry storage is a bit of a game, even on a farm it fills up quick, im prepping for a addition, the Corvair has been in my way for too long now.

Feel free to shoot me a few pics (and a price) of the Corvair. I might know someone who would help get it out of your way. My direct email: grnlark @ gmail . com

Edited by grnlark, March 13, 2014 - 06:07 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#15 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:18 AM

Awaiting payment!

Whomever sent Patrick my way, Thanks!!

• superaben said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale