Cheap Weights

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 53356
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Ok I've been looking for away to weight my tractors. Can anyone tell me what they are using that want break the bank to put under my tractors. Not exactly sure what I will have to add just yet but probly not a lot for myself but the kids will be a diffrent story. I see a lot of pictures with weights under them that are a rectangle and look like they have 4 rivets in the corners. Any ides will be appreciated.
  • trowel said thank you

#2 superiorpower OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3881
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 12:30 AM

Personally I think I will be making mine from quikrete.  I saw some photos somewhere of a guy who put cardboard in his wheel, lined it with a trash bag and just filled it up with quikrete. Somehow he put bolts in to hold it on the machine.  He put the cardboard in to make it come out of the hub easier. I have also seen photos on eBay and else where of brackets folks make to hold lifting weights. 

• trowel said thank you

#3 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 53356
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:58 AM

Put pieces of PVC in it so that you have a hole where it need to be at.
  • trowel said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 04:23 AM

Concrete is the cheapest and can be cast in any shape you want. It is nowhere near as dense as steel so you need a bigger weight . I use the weight lifting plates but the steel ones are getting hard to find and expensive. I built brackets from steel plate with 1" round welded to the centre to hold the plates. 

• trowel said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:57 AM

They are out there, just have to search and wait.
This is near Pittsburgh : http://pittsburgh.cr...4368687741.html around 400# steel plates, bench, all for $150
There is a gym that went out of business near boardman Ohio that is selling all their weights at $1 a pound: http://youngstown.cr...4331603419.html
  • trowel said thank you

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Right now i am just using a home built rear weight, supposedly my friend has a set of wheel weights for me but buried under snow right now.

I will be ordering ag tires and loading it with Rim Guard soon, as with home built wheel weights, concrete and lifting weights are the most commonly built ones, you could also use brake drums filled with concrete, lifting weights or brake disks stacked on top each others.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 07:49 AM

I see a lot of people scavenging up unwanted lifting weights. As MH81 showed, some can be had cheap, a lot of times yard sales is your friend.  You can even cut up the lifting bar and make mounts where ever you want, under tractor, front, etc and just slide plates on.

• trowel said thank you

#8 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:21 PM

I  got a buddy who made very heavy concrete weights ,  he used a 2 1/2 gallon bucket, then poured in a little concrete , added some lead tire balance weights from the local tire shops. when he was finished his weights were almost 85 pounds each with all the lead balance weights he added then he pot carriage bolts in the wet concrete to attach to the rims ,  they look pretty good when finished .  and cost under $15.00 to make as the lead was free from the local tire shops. 

Edited by rdehli, March 11, 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#9 mgrubb47122 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 56383
  • 11 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 05:01 AM

Here is my solution.  They are adapters for the rear wheels that allow you to mount barbell weights.  Been making them for  about 3 years now. Mike G.

#10 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 05:56 PM

We build all our weights out of steel and make them into the suitcase weights. You can do what a lot of people do with the weight lifting weights. Im not a big fan of having wheel weights while pulling so you could built a weight bracket under the fenders and slide the weights on and off when you need to.