Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

i just traded my boat for a mf 12 and a 620 snow blower not to sure on this trade

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• Member No: 1810
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 01:35 AM

i asked gage again today what he did and he told me he doesnt remember im about ready to give up on this tractor now it will only run with i think its the stator and coil unpluged i know two of the wires go to the regulater but when there hooked up i dont have any spark i have to start it with a rope but i must say atleast it runs kinda rough but makein progress but im NOT GOOD with electrical issues at all

#17 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 01:41 AM

and one more thing i called the local massey dealer and they said that i can not get any parts for this motor no coil stator no nothing. what should i do put a different motor in it cause what is the use of a hh120 if i cant get parts for it?

#18 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 02:01 AM

You sound very impatient. I dont think an old tractor that you picked up non running is for you.
And thats correct. There really arent any new parts for this engine. But, it sounds as if you dont need more than a simple ignition switch since you said the tractor DOES run when it is disconnected?
Is your tractor a hydrastatic with a large lever on the right side or a gear drive in front of the seat? If it is a hydrostatic a different engine is very simple. Go to harbor freight. For $299 you can have 13HP, electric start, better fuel economy, etc. If you have a gear drive well thats a little different story but it can be done.
  • Dad of 6 said thank you

#19 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 02:39 AM

well me being impatient is my own stupidy and frustration i thought this was going to be a fast and easy fix again i was WRONG i should have looked befor i leaped but i WILL say i enjoy spending time with my 3 older kids messing around with this ol mf i looked i guess u can say under the dash board and what a mess of clobed up mess wires not hooked to nothing cut wires just a huge mess ill try to get some pics of it and the hole tractor

#20 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 02:39 AM

yes it is hydro

#21 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:16 AM

Ok stop and back up a little guys! First, the wire connected to the SSI is NOT A GROUND! That the the wire from the charge winding on the stator flywheel that charges the internal capacitor inside the SSI coil. If that wire grounds out, or you apply ground to the SSI at that point you are going to damage stuff!!

The ground kill wire is the cetner wire on the 3-wire plug going to the motor. The other two on that plug are the two wires going to the voltage regulator to charge the battery. THAT is what you need to unplug in order to bypass the ground wire from the key. This will eliminate the ground kill at the key, not the wire on the SSI itself.

There are "kill switches" as well, one for park, and one on the PTO drive. They may or may not be there depending on the year and if people have removed them in the past. These will only kill the ability for the tractor to turn over.

Do not get all out hopeful about seeing a spark that is now gone. The SSI can do this at times, they are very temperamental. Now you could remove the SSI from the tractor and clean the ground by cleaning the block. Down load the Tecumseh manual (I think it's on here in the manual section, if not let me know...) There you wil find the spec for the gap to the flywheel pins. Make sure you reset it to that gap. Also, by looking at the manual, make sure the flywheel pins look ok. One will be shorter than the other and they should not be mashed at the head.

For failed parts, it could be either the SSI or the charge coil itself. The charge coil has a winding all by itself that's job is to charge up the SSI coil. If this is bad, the coil will never charge up to give you spark. Es Stoller has the ability to test the spark on these, and if bad will charge you $25 to modify the coil so that it becomes a pick up coil. The conversion is the way to go... It will cost you about $100 or less if you can go to a junk yard and get the Chrysler ignition components all at once for a good price. I have a list of what cars to look for, but they are mostly 1970's stuff. You will also need to replace the ignition switch and re-wire the tractor to do the job right. However, it's an easy job really, and I am getting ready to do another one soon. I can help you work through it if it comes to that. The problem with buying a used SSI coil is that you will pay about the same to convert it, and it could fail in a week. The new conversion uses easy to replace, and solid components.
  • dryrun and Dad of 6 have said thanks

#22 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:29 AM

i asked gage again today what he did and he told me he doesnt remember im about ready to give up on this tractor now it will only run with i think its the stator and coil unpluged i know two of the wires go to the regulater but when there hooked up i dont have any spark i have to start it with a rope but i must say atleast it runs kinda rough but makein progress but im NOT GOOD with electrical issues at all

PS.. I missed this tid-bit! That plug, as I mentioned has the ground wire to it... You have a bad ignition switch for sure if it runs with that un-plugged. Look for a new switch, go to a Massey dealer though, the wrong switch can blow the SSI coil!

#23 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 01:52 PM

Friend, I have some good news. Since you have a hydro a engine swap is very simple.

11 HP OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine - EPA - Gas Engines - Engines & Generators

I think you can still use the 20% off on these engines so that would bring it down to about $250 with tax.

All that you will need to do is get a bushing for the pulley and possibly a different sized drive belt and hook the charging circuit and starter up to your battery.

The original engine is a great engine. But if you want it to be reliable get something that doesnt have 40 years of wear

#24 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 05:18 PM

MF10, 12 manual 002.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• MF10, 12 manual 001.jpg
  • MF10, 12 manual 001.jpg

Edited by DH1, January 13, 2011 - 05:43 PM.
better pictures

#25 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Mike, if it was me, swapping motors for the hydro, and going the HF route, I would pony up and drop in the 13hp motor.

#26 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 10:22 PM

one of my friends that works on tractors all the time is going to look at the electrical for me he said it should take him a hour or so to find the problem and he told me is i switch the motor it would be a very bad move in his opion since the motor runs

#27 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 10:40 PM

IMO for whatever it's worth before you spend any money on this tractor you need to find out what you got.
Get it running and moving, find out what works, and what doesn't.
A good working original MF12Hydra is a nice tractor.

#28 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 11:11 PM

Mike, if it was me, swapping motors for the hydro, and going the HF route, I would pony up and drop in the 13hp motor.

i agree. but the 11hp is more than adequate and its the cheapest "entry" to a new engine

#29 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 11:12 PM

one of my friends that works on tractors all the time is going to look at the electrical for me he said it should take him a hour or so to find the problem and he told me is i switch the motor it would be a very bad move in his opion since the motor runs

WHERE HAS HE BEEN FOR THE LAST WEEK? lol
Let us know how it works out. hopefully the motor is tight
Good luck

#30 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 02:55 AM

all i know its a mf 12g the ol motor does run but rough no big deal but i have to start it with a rope cause i have to unplug the wire connecter fron the motor for it to run if its pluged together i have no spark no nothen its way over my head i have no clue about electrical thats why my friend is gona look at it cause i do not want to mess up anything