Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

i just traded my boat for a mf 12 and a 620 snow blower not to sure on this trade

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• Member No: 1810
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 01:43 AM

ill start with this my dad had a mf 12 when i was lil and i loved it so i thought why not my dads ran great.i know i know not very smart to think .well the guy i traded it for said all it needed was the fule tank cleaned.ok no big deal.so i get the tank cleaned went to try to start it dead battery.now a bad starter. now no spark.the only thing i know its a hh120 motor 12 hp i think. i would realy like to find out the year of it and what might be wrong with this tractor.PLEASE any suggestions? thank you
frustrated dad of 6
ps ill try to get some pics of the beast soon

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 05:24 AM

Dad of 6,:welcometogttalk:glad to have you with us.

We need pictures.:smilewink:

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 165 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 07:04 AM

Welcome to the forum Dad of 6, glad to have you here. Sorry you are having problems with your new tractor but lets see if we can help you out. Have you taken care of the dead battery and the starter problem and now it rolls over with no spark? The dead battery may come to life with charging. The bad starter problem may be just a bad electrical connection somewhere. Might be best to take the starter off and have it tested and go from there. The no spark could be just a bad spark plug. The very early Massey 12 garden tractors had points for the ignition. Most of them had the solid state ignition and there were 2 styles of them. No spark could even just be a grounded out wire.
Let us know what you have done so far and then we will go from there.
If you get a chance hop on over to the new member introduction forum and post an introduction there. Mike
  • Dad of 6 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,865 Thanks
  • 29,260 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:00 AM

:ditto: on everything that was said above, & :welcome: to GTTALK.

The model & serial # would be a help in determining year, when you're sitting on the tractor it should be by your left knee (under the dash).

If the tag is missing, the info on the engine tag will be helpful.
They're nice machines, but anything older can be a little temperamental... just ask my wife about me:D

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,289 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I don't know what kind of boat you traded for it but I think it was worth it. There are always little bugs that you will have to work out when getting a new tractor that hasn't been running for a little while. Plus you got the snow blower which is a plus as they are usually not easy to find. Once you get the serial number and a few more details on the engine everyone will be able to help ya get it going.

Btw, welcome to GTtalk :D

#6 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 05:36 PM

i put a new battery in it i had the starter tested and it was bad so i put a brand new starter and the wife came unglued when she found out how much it was and i put a new spark plug in it and all the grounds seam fine the numbers on the motor r HH 120-12045E ser-5339E i know the first set is the motor but i cant seam to find what the other numbers mean and a big thanks for all the help everyone has given me allready again thank you very much ill get some pics soon

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 251 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 05:46 PM

There is a good chance the SSI is bad, it's a common problem on the old motors.
The bad part is that they no longer make a replacement SSI. Used SSI's on ebay are pricey.
Ed Stoler has directions on a conversion to standard ignition parts, also not cheap, but then everything is easy to replace.
Good luck.

Tecumseh Solid State Ignitions Replacement

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,865 Thanks
  • 29,260 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Don't give up yet. The SSI is a good candidate, but you may be dealing with something else too. It'll take a few minutes, but it's probably time to investigate a little deeper. verify the magnets are clean, the gaps are right & all the connections in there are OK. Something as simple as a bad ground or lack of one in this system, will make for some pretty big migraines.

#9 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:39 PM

Also check to ensure any safety switches are not causing the problem. I recently bought a Ford 120. The guy said the starter was bad. I got home and put power direct to the stater and she spun. Started checking things out and found that the neutral safety switch was bad. I temporarily bypassed the switch and the starter works fine, I have spark and she started right up. My other recent No Spark problem was on an old Clinton motor. I checked everything out and found my points were not making a conductive path to ground when closed. A few small strokes of a very small file, and I have spark.

Take your time working through the problem. Stinks replacing expensive parts to find out it was a simple fix. I know because I happen to be a master at jumping the gun, and finding out it just cost lots to fix a few cent problem.

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 177 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 09:14 PM

Im pretty sure there arent any starter switches.
Take off the fan shroud. Then you will see a silver box above the flywheel. Disconnect the wire from the silver box, the Solid State Ignition module. Then see if there is spark.
  • MH81 and Dad of 6 have said thanks

#11 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 12:18 AM

ok this is messed up my son asked if he could mess with the tractor i told him ya why not u cant mess it up any more so i tried the ssi wire thing and there was spark with and without the wire connected but i asked my son what he did to the tractor he asked me am i in trouble i told him no ur not he told me he didnt remember he was just messen with stuff and the thing is hes 10 but any way he got a lil spark to the tractor so where do i or my son go from here

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,865 Thanks
  • 29,260 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 08:18 AM

I'm starting to suspect a bad key switch. Kids love to play with switches & maybe while he was playing with it, the contacts began working. I still would change it if you find that was the problem.

#13 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 177 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 11:08 AM

That would make sense. Good thing he didnt connect that wire from the SSI to the pos side of the battery $$$

Did you take the carb apart yet? A repair kit costs about $20 and shipping. mower4u.com they take credit card

#14 Dad of 6 OFFLINE  

Dad of 6

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 11:38 AM

but why would the ssi have spark connceted or disconncted

#15 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 177 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 12:24 PM

The switch could have a bad connection internally or its hooked up to the ground on the back of the switch which would connect it to nothing. Just ask your son what he did LOL

The tractor shuts off by applying the ground to that SSI. I would recommend disconnecting it from anything for now, till you get it running. When you get it running you can connect that wire to a switch. Connect the other wire on the other side of that new switch to the frame. That will shut the tractor off.