• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 04:58 PM

A little over a month ago, I went and talked to a Navy Recruter about joining as a Seabee (basically a contruction worker) and when I took the practice ASVAB in his office I scored about twice the average score. When he saw the score, the first thing he asked was if I cheated! Of course I didn't, and that's when he explained that I was way over qualified to be a welder or construction worker, and he recommended nuclear engineering. He went on to tell me more about the job, and the things I remember best are that I can make $100,000 a year by 24 years old, and they are the smartest people in the Navy. Basically a Navy Nuke takes care of the reactors to keep the ship powered on either a sub or a carrier, I have a choice which one I want, and I don't want to go on a sub!

I met with him a few more times, talked, signed some stuff, filled out some paper work, and yesterday I went up to Albany. I stayed over night and today I did all of the processing: processing includes medical screening, some paperwork, fingerprints, and of. Purse the ASVAB.

The ASVAB is the test taken to get into any branch of the service, and your score will not only determine if you get in, but what jobs you qualify for. I scored exceptionally well, and I automatically qualify to become a nuclear engineer! However, I am signed up right now as a hull tech (on board welder, mechanic, and plumber), because I failed one quarter of a math class my freshman year. I passed the class as a whole, but I have to wait about a month before I can reclass as a nuclear engineer. Once the waiver comes through, it will not be difficult to switch from a hull tech to a nuke, as they are in much higher demand then hull techs. So as of about 2:30 today, I am officially part of the US Navy.

You guys are probably wondering why I joined, at first I wanted to join since the Navy is just about, if not the best place to learn welding. Plus, the GI bill, as well as the schooling and other added benifits of being in the military.

As a hull tech, my ship date for basic training (boot camp) is October 1st, but that may change when I reclass.

We all know politics are not allowed here, so please refrain from making this a political argument on whether it is a good idea to join the military or not. I won't hesitate to lock my own thread if it so becomes a political thread.
  • olcowhand, powerking56, bread320i and 22 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Ryan, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks....only you can determine what's best for you.  I think you're doing us all proud!  Thanks you for what you are about to embark on!  I think it's a smart move!  :thumbs:

• hamman, Delmar, tinbender7 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:11 PM

The military is always a good choice. Signing up is something to be proud of.

One word of warning, if they dont reclass you by your ship out date, dont go. You need to stay on your recruiters butt until you get the job you want.

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:30 PM

The military is always a good choice. Signing up is something to be proud of.

One word of warning, if they dont reclass you by your ship out date, dont go. You need to stay on your recruiters butt until you get the job you want.

I agree with coldone ryan. Make sure you get your class signed for.

Now as for your joining the Millitary. That Is your decision and it appears that you have thought this out and have made a decision that fits your dreams and future. A Oldcowhand said you have done and will do us proud. THANK YOU FOR SERVING US! I Have second and third cousins in the navy and all of my BILs on wifes side served in the Navy and all have retired from there. Good luck, take care and do your best. I appreciate your commitment.       May God Bless.     Roger.

• KennyP, tinbender7, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#5 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:34 PM

I think that is great,I always i had looked into serving my country when i was graduating,I have a lot of friends that did and the retirement and benefits are something that is worth while 

• tinbender7, Cvans and Genem have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Congratulations Ryan!  You may now call me Senior Chief! :smilewink:   This is quite a surprise.  You will have a good time and you'll get to see sight you wouldn't ordinarily get to.  You could always tell the nukes on the ship, they glowed in the dark!  I had a good buddy, when I was on the Nimitz, who took me on a tour of the reactor and all that they do. Pretty impressive! 

I wish we had talked before you signed the papers, Coldone is correct, I've seen it all often where the recruiter tells you one thing but it never materializes.  If you don't have it in writing you may end up going to the fleet to be a hull tech.  If your reclass does not happen then when you get to the fleet talk to your Chief, if he is worth his salt he will get it straightened out.

I wish you all the best on your career.  Thanks for taking the watch.  :thumbs:

• hamman, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:02 PM

When I went into the Navy I also was chosen to be an NT. The problem back then was 99% of the NT's ended up on subs and that is not a place for me. Being 6'3" I don't think the top of my head would have ever healed.  :smilewink: They said I would go aboard a new sub but it just wasn't appealing. Your right about making a good living on the civilian side though as I have a friend who was a Navy NT and was hired by a power company after the service and he gets along quite well now. 

Good luck and thanks for your service to this country  :thumbs:

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Genem have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Not signing up has always been my biggest regret. Just as mentioned you do what you think is best for you. You can see politics everywhere if you look for it. The way I see it America has gained another soldier to keep us all hear at home free. Be proud soldier & do your best. God bless.
  • tinbender7, Cvans, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,235 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:08 PM

First congratulations.

Second get everything they promise you in writing and hang on to it. Promises made in a recruiting office don't hold up when it comes time for them to follow through. My buddy had a deal made for a job and such but afterwards they stuck him where ever they needed a body.

third. I wish I would of done it. I scored very high on my testing and could name my job in the air force or navy. I turned it down for a triangle (think about it)

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 10, 2014 - 06:09 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:14 PM

All the Best to you, kinda figured you were meant to do great stuff. Don't forget to keep us updated when you can. :thumbs:

• sacsr and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:31 PM

Go for it, Ryan! If 'Nam wasn't such a big thing, I might have stayed in. Good luck and heed the above advice!

P.S. I think we can give you a Leave of Absence for this!

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Go for it, Ryan! If 'Nam wasn't such a big thing, I might have stayed in. Good luck and heed the above advice!

P.S. I think we can give you a Leave of Absence for this!

With out Pay

• Delmar said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:45 PM

Ryan, very proud of you and Thank You for your future service.

I also tested for Sub Nuke classes, but in the late 80's they were fussier about who could go.  

That's not a poke as they didnt let me in due to my feet having conjoined middle toes on both feet and the recruiter as much as said it gave him the willies.  No problem with the testing, but the physical was a nope because of the footsies.

You be sure to let us know when you're shipping out and make sure they are upholding the verbal agreements as well as the written ones.  May God Bless you and Keep You Safe. 

• KennyP, Cvans, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#14 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Thank you for your service!

Best of luck for you.

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Great to hear of the new, everything that needed to be said has already been said so i will wish you well and thanks for joining.