• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • Member No: 43536
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 02:27 PM

After hibernating for a while I am back on to share my progress.  I was the newbie that had the broken spindle thread that has been reborn.  After I got the spindle repaired, the mower would not run at all...  Well long story short I met a great mechanic that took my mower and completely went through it.  New fuel filter, carb gaskets, battery, fixed the steering linkage, new body bushings, tune up, oil change, sharpened blades, and many other things for basically the cost of the parts.  Great guy.

The mower was just in too bad of shape mechanically for me to begin to work on it.  Now it is where I can hopefully learn some things.  I appreciate all of the help on here to get me to this point.

I took the tractor out for a good ride for the first time yesterday.  I have some observations/questions.
The mower ran great for a nice 1/2 mile run down the road and them seemed to choke or flood.  If i pulled the choke out it cleared back up and would run fine.  Is this a familiar problem?  What throttle should I be running the tractor at to begin with?  It seems like if I run it at high/full throttle it wants to flood out after a little while, but mid throttle with the choke half out will allow it to run for 20 minutes or so before it gets a rough idle.  Any toughts? 

I hope you enjoy the picture of my 145 that a few months ago was busted in the side yard and wouldnt run.  I probably looked like a kid on Christmas morning cruising down my road yesterday.  Don't worry, I live out in the sticks where nobody could laugh at me.

LGT145

• hamman, sacsr, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:24 PM

Good to see you back.

Thats a nice looing tractor, great scenery too.

If you need to pull the choke to get it to run, you have a lean condition, which means it's not getting enough fuel.

Is the fuel filter plugged up?

Is the intake leaking?

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Nice Ford.  It's been a long winter so I think everyone is getting their tractors out and getting them ready for summer duty. It does sound like you could have a fuel supply issue. In addition to what was said above I would add some gas line antifreeze to the tank and fill it with fresh fuel and add some fuel stabilizer. I use premium fuel in all my power equipment. Up here it's the only grade that doesn't have Ethanol in it. Not sure about your local fuel situation. 

#4 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,274 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:52 PM

Up here it's the only grade that doesn't have Ethanol in it. Not sure about your local fuel situation. 

All of the gas around here has ethanol in it except for ones that advertise that they don't like Amerigreen.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Run Sea Foam fuel additive in it awhile.  Might try "tweaking" the main jet adjustment some. Try it out a half turn or less and see if different. Sometimes just moving the jet releases dirt there and you have to turn it back to run proper again. Find a manual on tuning the carb settings to help you if not familiar with procedure.  Might need carb cleaning or rebuild, maybe gunk in bowl, etc. Have your mechanic friend look at it again, he should know how to adjust if regular service guy.

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 04:53 PM

I too just ride around the block for the fun of it, and I live in an incorporated town!

#7 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,274 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:34 PM

I too just ride around the block for the fun of it, and I live in an incorporated town!

That is such a bad idea! What if your neighbor gets jealous and wants to borrow yours :D

• KC9KAS said thank you

#8 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • Member No: 43536
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the input.  I will check into the items mentioned.  The fuel lines and filter are all new.  The tank has not been cleaned out yet, so i might start there and try some fresh, premium gas.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:56 AM

Good looking Ford. Good advise above on your issue. And there could be something in the tank hindering flow.

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 10:29 AM

If the above doesn't fix your problem, run it until the engine starts to have problems then take some carb cleaner and spray it around the carb and intake if the engine changes sound then you probably have an air leak around that area.

#11 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 11:32 AM

Does your LGT145 have a fuel pump?  My LGT165 does and was doing what you describe last summer.  I could mow 3/4 of the yard and the power would start to drop off and it would require choke to finish.  Ended up being a weak fuel pump.  Something to think about if the easier stuff does not clear it up.