• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:10 PM

We have a few part-timers (retirees and OJT high schoolers) that help with hauling tanks.  I have only been here at PFCS for a little over a month this time, but worked here 21 yrs ago while in high school and after.  I now run the mill, mixing, bulk and bag delivery, and feed inventory ordering.

We also have DK and croplan, so I suppose there is a little competition, although I am sure we don't move as much product as you guys.

Have a feeling spring might be a little late...not to mention a little sloppy at first.

-thanks

Mathew

#17 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:16 AM

We have a small agronomy crew guys or so operators and and a few retired guys for hauling etc. It is going to be at least 30 days before we get crazy up here. Even if we get perfect weather it will be at least a couple weeks before the dry floaters hit the fields.

#18 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 09:16 PM

We're getting all the tenders, floaters, and sprayers out of winter storage now and giving them a well deserved bath and pre-chaos maintenance.  Have a guy hired to be a custom applicator for anhydrous this year....something new for the co-op I guess.  Our bar and tanks though.  Don't know the logistics behind it...don't know if I want to.

#19 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:11 PM

I feel the same way.  The farther that I stay from anhydrous AMonia the better.  I usually get conned into delivering tanks once in a while, but would rather do almost anything else.

We do not rent or borrow tool bars .  We have a guy in house custom applying it again this year ,plus we have partnered with 3 large farmers who custom apply for us if we need some for a neighboring farmer.  

After soil sampling I usually deliver seed ,do warehouse duty or tender applicators or start crop scouting.

#20 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 09:36 PM

I have been told that I will be filling tanks this spring....yeah, really looking forward to that...not.  Must be because I am the new guy.  Although, it would be nice not have to mix feed all the time.

#21 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 20, 2014 - 10:11 PM

I'm glad most of the spring mapping and grid sampling fields.   I have about 4500 acres or so to cover this spring.  I hope I get enough time to get those acres covered.  

#22 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 27, 2014 - 04:18 PM

unloaded a 1/2 semi full of seed oats this morning, 10 pallets should almost be enough for the rush in a few weeks.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#23 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:43 PM

We get our seed oats from Hall Roberts on a 'need' basis, as well as winter rye and tillage radish in the fall.  Still have some croplan corn coming in from winfield occasionally too. Getting hard for the seed guy to find room, so have been storing a few pallets here and there among my feed pallets.  Makes it hard to get to things sometimes, but it will be moving out the door hopefully sooner than we think.

#24 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:49 PM

We get all of our oats,winter rye,radish from them too.  We usually have them bring us a truckload,sometimes we have to make a run.  Our seed corn and beans are really slow this year.  We normally have everything in by now and farmers are asking to either get it or we are busy delivering it.  This year we still have 5 semis to go yet...   oh well.

#25 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:15 PM

took in 3 more semis of seed today.  Now we are cooking with gas.    will try to get some pics in the morning . 

#26 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:19 PM

When I went to my Coop today to pick up my alfalfa & orchard grass seed, Dewey, the manager told me some farmers are getting set to plant this week.  Plain NUTS!  Dropping back to the 50's this weekend, and Sunday morning down to 36!  Will that fancy coating protect that much?  I've never used it myself to know much about it.

#27 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:08 PM

When I went to my Coop today to pick up my alfalfa & orchard grass seed, Dewey, the manager told me some farmers are getting set to plant this week.  Plain NUTS!  Dropping back to the 50's this weekend, and Sunday morning down to 36!  Will that fancy coating protect that much?  I've never used it myself to know much about it.

some farmers..... that coating on alfalfa will help to a certain degree. They better be seeding 20 plus pounds an acre because at least 10% of that expensive alfalfa will not grow. At $300.00 a bag you better be sure its going to be warm enough to germinate.

Just might be wise to sit back and wait a week.

Are many Dairy farmers where you live using the new Round up Ready alfalfa?

#28 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Sorry Rob, I left out a VERY important word in my post above.  I wasn't speaking of farmers here getting set to plant alfalfa, they are planting CORN!  Yes, I'm gonna wait a week, possibly 2 or 3 before drilling my alfalfa.  I think these guys planting corn have lost their minds!

#29 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:21 PM

Ok ...the cruiser max ,poncho or whatever treatment just helps bring the plant out of the ground faster and more hearty.  It still has to be a soil temp of 50 degrees before corn will germinate.  

For most growers up here it take on average 7-10 days for the plant to emerge.  If you are cold and wet it could be two weeks or more.  With that said the longer it takes the plant to emerge the more stress it's under.  You could be already affecting yield. All the seed coatings in the world cannot help germinate the seed . Just keep it from dry or wet rotting and pests.  

I suppose the farmers are going by the crop insurance deadline, ours up here is April 23?  Or the week of.  

Edited by rdehli, April 01, 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#30 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 02, 2014 - 06:42 PM

wWe are starting to get the last of our small bags in and do some sorting for each farmer. That way when we deliver or they come to get its all on 1 or 2 pallets and we just load him up and he is off to the field.

Attached Thumbnails

• shed 1 (Custom).JPG
  • shed 2 (Custom).JPG
  • shed 3 (Custom).JPG
  • shed 4 (Custom).JPG
  • shed 5 (Custom).JPG

• Gabriel said thank you