• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 12:45 PM

My Ford 4610 has a lot of rust on the rims at the stems. A couple weeks ago, I tried to check the pressure, and when I took off the cap, Calcium Chloride spewed everywhere. The valve core is deteriorated and no longer holds anything back. So this weekend I got a new stem, which threads into the tube. I jacked up up the rear to take pressure off the tire, and I tried to take off the brass stem. Snap, it broke flush with the steel threads on the tube.

So, I called the tire truck. He was going to come today with one tube, but I decided to have him do both, so I will wait until Thursday. The plan is to pump out the ballast, take the tires and tubes off the rim, clean and weld up the damage to the rims, paint, and reinstall. Once these rims are done, the tractor will be back in perfect condition, and I can get it back to work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394473450.584163.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394473470.151146.jpg
  • hamman, JDBrian and superspeedex have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Too bad about the rust. It's the price you pay for using CaCL I guess. It's still the most commonly used and readily available ballast here. The tractor looks like it's in great shape. 

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Never understood why people used that stuff with all the damage and costs later on.  That rim looks like it will need to be replaced, not repaired. Maybe if You have another rim you can cut out that piece and fit it in it would work. BUT, if paying someone, seems the cost of that would be same or more for a rim?? I vote for new wheels!

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 04:56 PM

I have seen that same problem time & time again. We have an agriculture dealer in town and they now use windsheild washer fluid instead of CaCL.

What are you going to use after the rims are repaired?

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:27 AM

There was a time when Calcium Chloride was the best thing going and it was just accepted that wheels would need to be replaced in about 20 yrs.  It was considered just a part of doing business?? Thankfully they have come up with better options!!

I think probably the best is Rim-Guard ( beet juice) and when I first heard of it the nearest place selling it was over 80 miles away.

I have since learned that Sully Co-op about 15 miles away has it and is installing it instead of Calcium Chloride.