• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:18 AM

Right now I have cement floor , but want to paint the floor with something that is durable, but do not want to break the bank, just wondering what you guys have done to your floors etc.

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:21 AM

Is it a smooth floor? At one time, I painted a floor, but it was not real smooth. The first coat of oil base, I thinned about 50% with paint thinner. Applied the second coat and it held well. If it is real smooth, may be hard to get something to stick to it.

#3 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:45 AM

my shop floor is not  power troweled smooth think it was bull floated back in the 60s when built.  I am just looking for something that is durable and will allow oil if leaked or spilled to puddle instead of stain the floor etc.  because Iam looking for something multi use cause my shop has so many uses besides a tractor shed/repair shop. 

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 09:08 AM

The paint I used was some 'cheap' stuff I found at Big Lots. But I would use an oil base, don't think water base would stay on there very good.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,791 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 09:14 AM

There are some good garage floor finishes now. Whatever you use, clean it real well first. My living area is on a concrete slab. I painted it with several layers of commerical epoxy paint and sealed it with 4 layers of clear. It has held up well for 16 years now. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 10, 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#6 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 10, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Rick

got any pics...   ?

#7 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 11:06 AM

The prep work is the most important part of the job. Clean it like you're getting it ready for surgery and the paint will stick. Steam cleaner, acid etch, and lots of degreaser.

I've tried to mix sand into the paint before for traction but it settles out quick and takes constant stirring. It's easier to paint a 10 foot x 10 foot section and just throw hand fulls of sand out over the area. Try to spread it evenly so the sand doesn't go out in piles and make sure the sand is very dry.

You can get a decent product at Lowes or Home Depot for a fair price but with floor paint, you get what you pay for. The 2 part epoxy ones will hold up the best.

This is one of my shops we did a few years ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fall 2008 13411.jpg
  • Fall 2008 13553.jpg
  • IMG_20110604_065301.jpg

• olcowhand, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 11:14 AM

Shop number 2 and one of the storage areas getting ready for fresh yellow lines.

Attached Thumbnails

• Atunyote Shop Floor 1.JPG
  • Atunyote Shop Floor 10.JPG
  • Atunyote Shop Floor 13.JPG
  • IMG_20130312_065616.jpg

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Surface prep as said above. You can buy a non slip product to add to the paint at HD. It doesn't settle out like sand and is easy to keep mixed in the paint. It works well IME. The other option is some of that vinyl garage floor covering. At Costco they have something called G floor that comes in 7ft x20ft pieces. It has sort of a diamond plate pattern on it. More expensive than paint though.

#10 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 10, 2014 - 12:35 PM

Wow ...you can eat off the floor in that shop!!! nice , I usually scrub my shop floor 2-3 times a yeare with a degreaser then scrub with simple green . Love the smell and a good cleaner too. but I'am wanting to to up grade the work area. after our spring rush at work I'll start looking at the big box stores etc. . It is neat to see options of what you guys are doing with your shop space.
  • bh115577 said thank you

#11 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:06 PM

in my garage work area I put down (6)1/2" foil faced insulation panels then I put (6)1/2" wafer paneling and then carpet.

sure helps the feet.

the carpet was free - a friend took it out to put it new carpet

my feet stay warm in the winter - I just heat the garage when I am working in the winter

if the carpet gets to dirty I can always find more carpet and replace it

for painting concrete floor always get paint for concrete - it last longer and wears better

#12 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:15 PM

at my first house I used this

http://www.rustoleum...e-floor-coating

it worked really well . the trick is to clean the floor good before you apply ( follow directions). Good luck,  Tom

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:13 PM

The dust on concrete just keeps working up as you sweep, never really goes away.  I have used TIDE detergent and a stiff floor broom to rub it in to clean grease and dirt off floor. Garage has to be empty and takes long time to get suds to stop when rinsing. Has to dry good, then do same with acid to Etch it, let dry good again. Warm sunny days are needed, takes awhile to dry. I like to use Polyurethane floor enamels on cement floors. True Value and Ace both have good ones, in diff colors too. I thin the first time, enough to soak in and seal. Full strength next coat, and have even done three if I didn't like how it looked. It stinks for awhile and takes more than day to dry enough to walk on. Even longer time is best, not twisting or dragging anything over it. It is soft for quite awhile, don't reccommend driving on it for couple weeks even. That is cheapest I have done. Those new Epoxies and even those runner tile floors and other items are NICE, but too much money for MY garage and budget. I HATE those guys that have a Hot Rod garage that looks just like off a TV show!  I think maybe they don't do many messy things in those garages. One day of grinding and welding makes a dusty mess all over for me, and don't even mention spray painting!! 

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:16 PM

The garage and laundry room in my house were painted when the place was flipped before I bought it.  The guy use a garage floor paint from Lowes.  It is utter garbage.  I can scrape it with the heel of my shoe, it stains badly, and it peels off every time a tire touches it.  I wish it hadn't been coated at all because now I can't coat it with a decent product without scraping the entire floor.  But of course, it sure did look good when we bought the place. :smilewink:

• Alc said thank you

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 05:36 AM

In my garage ( power troweled finish )  I used a Benjamin Moore 1 part epoxy ,  (not made anymore )  first coat thined and  full second coat , it held up well except where the vehicles park , maybe the road salts , " hot tire pick-up ,  not sure . It should be done again . One thing I want to mention is when the weather changes quickly from cold to a warm humid day the cold floor sweats so bad you could mop it !  And it's slippery too ! Even still I would want a smooth finish for the ease of cleaning .