Well, I got the Broyhill M4100 3WD turf machine running this weekend. Took a bit of doing, but not particularly challenging.
The fuel line was leaking so I cut a length off and re-attached it. However, a section of it was at the point where it was a soft, gooey mess so I ended up replacing the entire line, and installed a shutoff valve on the tank side, along with a new filter.
Then I put in a new float needle valve and float in the carb. I had a repair manual for a Briggs Vanguard 16 hp, though not the right code. The parts "looked" right, so I checked out the prices---about $9.00 for the needle valve and $12 or so for the float--not too bad.
But, something told me I needed to find the part numbers for the engine code on the Broyhill. Problem was, the engine tag was on the side of the engine right against the frame and had the wiring alongside it as well. I could read some of of the numbers on the tag but just couldn't make out the model number... so, got out a mirror and a flashlight, and finally got it all... tried the numbers... no go....hmmmm.... maybe I wrote one down wrong.
Back to the machine for another look... a half hour later I learned I had misread one number... Finally!!! maybe I could get some parts for it.
The bad news came when I looked up the parts on line... the needle valve alone was between $22 and $25!!! The float was $18!!! Geeze, and they weren't even gold-plated!!
BTW, I discovered that the B&S Vanguard engines were developed by Briggs in conjunction with Daihatsu, which apparently is owned by Toyota. Briggs & Daihatsu also collaborated on a water-cooled diesel engine that was used in turf equipment, etc.
Anyway, on a hunch I checked with a local auto parts store--you know, the ones where they guys behind the counter have actually worked on cars, there's pictures of hotrods all around the room and old car parts, vintage oil cans, etc. as decor... They can get B&S parts generally the same day, if not overnight. And, though the prices were at the high end of online prices, I still came out ahead as I didn't have to pay freight.
So, got the kit, installed the needle valve---nope, not gold plated... oh well!!! put in the new float, primed the carb with a little gas and fired it up. On the second try it stayed running and smoothed right out.
So, now for the test ride. I'm used to putting the engine near top speed with hydrostatic drives so I did the same with this--found the little bugger is very sensitive on the pedal, plus the front wheel is VERY responsive to movement... Handle With Care!! It took a bit of doing, but I got the hang of it and drove it up and down the block... a heck of a lot of fun!!!
My oldest boy came over the following day, and I got a couple short videos of him driving it... Hope they'll upload, this is my first attempt...
PS, well, I tried to upload the files, and when they were almost done I got an error message saying I can't upload MP4 files... guess I'll have to figure out how to convert it... anyway, more to come!!!
Edited by Utah Smitty, March 09, 2014 - 10:16 PM.