5 replies to this topic

#1 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,600 Thanks
  • 1,319 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Like most folks in the US, winter has been a long one for me. I had to get out of the house today, and get outside. Being barricaded from the never ending cold temps started givin me the tractor blues.  Next thing you know it's off to the garage I go in 35 degree temps with a road sandwich in one hand, and a wrench in the other. :beer:

Last fall after I got the 1200, it started leaking while sitting, and not just a little. My plan was to trace the leak, and repair it when the warmer temps rolled around. Just so happens I picked up a 1450 super chief yesterday (for parts), and thought it would be a great day to strip it, and change out the trans rather than fix the other one. I did take a couple pics, but not many as my hands were super messy, and I didn't wanna jack my phone all up. As you can see the donor has a hitch, and the leaker don't.

Oh yea, those tranny's are HEAVIER than a son of a bean. The floor jack was my best friend today!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0768.jpg
  • IMAG0773.jpg
  • IMAG0774.jpg
  • IMAG0775.jpg
  • IMAG0776.jpg
  • IMAG0777.jpg
  • IMAG0778.jpg
  • IMAG0779.jpg
  • IMAG0780.jpg
  • IMAG0781.jpg
  • IMAG0782.jpg

• Alc, hamman, JDBrian and 4 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:09 AM

That's a pretty big job to get done in one day. In an unheated shop it must have been cold on the hands. What brand/model of hydro is that?  It doesn't look like the common ones used in the later tractors.

• stiemmy said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 30,492 Thanks
  • 41,066 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:07 AM

Brian, the hydro is a Hydrogear. Not sure on the transaxle.

#4 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,600 Thanks
  • 1,319 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Here we go, the good, and the bad (good) news...ER....maybe? So I went down to Orielly, and picked up a new belt after work. Took her apart, put it on, and took a spin. Well, after 5 mins, or so, the tranny lost alot of power. It had just enough to get up the driveway, and back in the garage. After all that foolin around turns out the replacement needs fixing too, so I will probably have to pull it back out? Don't even know what to do with it as I don't know much about em??? Now the "good" news, when I pulled the original out I see where I think it was leaking from? Looks like it would have been an easy fix without pullin the trans. Looks to me like the trunnion control seals were leaking, that would have been easier to fix, I think? Now I will have to make something work between the two, and don't know where to start?

That's a pretty big job to get done in one day. In an unheated shop it must have been cold on the hands. What brand/model of hydro is that?  It doesn't look like the common ones used in the later tractors.

It was cold at first on the hands, but after workin a while that wore off. I actually stripped the 1450 on my trailer, and did the swap in the unheated man cave.

The worst part is crawlin around on that cold concrete.

The Hydro is a Hyrdo Gear brand, and I am not 100% sure on the transaxle as I read this a long time ago, but I think it's a peerless? Don't quote me on that tho, I have been wrong before, and my memory is great, but it's short!!!! LOL

Edited by stiemmy, March 10, 2014 - 07:54 PM.

• JDBrian said thank you

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,719 Thanks
  • 2,926 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Here we go, the good, and the bad (good) news...ER....maybe? So I went down to Orielly, and picked up a new belt after work. Took her apart, put it on, and took a spin. Well, after 5 mins, or so, the tranny lost alot of power. It had just enough to get up the driveway, and back in the garage. After all that foolin around turns out the replacement needs fixing too, so I will probably have to pull it back out? Don't even know what to do with it as I don't know much about em??? Now the "good" news, when I pulled the original out I see where I think it was leaking from? Looks like it would have been an easy fix without pullin the trans. Looks to me like the trunnion control seals were leaking, that would have been easier to fix, I think? Now I will have to make something work between the two, and don't know where to start?

It was cold at first on the hands, but after workin a while that wore off. I actually stripped the 1450 on my trailer, and did the swap in the unheated man cave.

The worst part is crawlin around on that cold concrete.

The Hydro is a Hyrdo Gear brand, and I am not 100% sure on the transaxle as I read this a long time ago, but I think it's a peerless? Don't quote me on that tho, I have been wrong before, and my memory is great, but it's short!!!! LOL

The pump unit looks a lot like my Massey 12 Hydro.  It was leaking at the control shaft also, which was a bit difficult to disassemble as the bolts were 12 point heads and the roll pin was hard to get to to drive out.  Once I got that done, it was just two "O" rings for the seal, found one at my local hardware, ordered the other from WWW Grainger.

PS: Before you give up on that new unit, check your oil level there.  Also, I suspect there is an internal oil filter in the reservoir of the pump unit.  Check your belt for tightness too, sounds like it could have run and stretched.  On the Masseys, the parking brake also holds the tensioner pulley off the belt.  Mine isn't adjusted correctly, so if I have a "senior moment" and drive off with the brake engaged, it won't transmit much power to the rear end.

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 10, 2014 - 09:44 PM.

• stiemmy said thank you

#6 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,600 Thanks
  • 1,319 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 04:18 PM

The pump unit looks a lot like my Massey 12 Hydro.  It was leaking at the control shaft also, which was a bit difficult to disassemble as the bolts were 12 point heads and the roll pin was hard to get to to drive out.  Once I got that done, it was just two "O" rings for the seal, found one at my local hardware, ordered the other from WWW Grainger.

PS: Before you give up on that new unit, check your oil level there.  Also, I suspect there is an internal oil filter in the reservoir of the pump unit.  Check your belt for tightness too, sounds like it could have run and stretched.  On the Masseys, the parking brake also holds the tensioner pulley off the belt.  Mine isn't adjusted correctly, so if I have a "senior moment" and drive off with the brake engaged, it won't transmit much power to the rear end.

I did check the oil level before putting it in, and put on a new belt on. I suspect the pump has problems due to the fact it's probably wore out. The front end on that tractor was sloppy, so that might be a good indication of the pump condition. Huh, guess I'll be doin another swap. Good thing is I can change it out in about 45 minutes now after doing once already. I will still do a leak test on the original, but only after I put new Orings in, and run it around a bit.