• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 12:56 PM

Did you figure out what the engines were yet?

Sounds like a good haul, especially with the wheel weights & plow.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Did you figure out what the engines were yet?

Sounds like a good haul, especially with the wheel weights & plow.

Ya, they both seem to be Tecumsehs and I think I am going to see if either turn over here soon. They are both on dads truck right now so I can't open their hoods but uh, doesn't mean I cant' turn them somehow.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 01:11 PM

If those possibly have the electronic spark, don't jump it. Someone here warned against doing that because you can burn up the (really expensive) module if you do. Don't know the background, just remember reading it.

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 01:44 PM

Well, I went out there and messed with them some and both do in fact turn over by hand easy, didn't feel much in way ov compression, except on I think the G10.
The damage:

G10: steering column moves so will probably turn, but there is no steering wheel... hmmm. The front tires are not even the same width but the other front axle has pair of narrows so that can be the fronts. The trans shift lever move, couldnt get any gears but might not be the right position. The clutch pedal is bent but heat and a vise will fix that, but I will need an idler, cause it's missing. I have one good scrap yard seat between both tractors so I can use that.

G12: No carb but have a 10 hp vertical techumseh (aluminum crap) with a carb that is probably good. The steering wheel is junk but the column spins free, which in this case means the steering is missing the linkage between the steering gear and the front axle. The fenders were total junk so I left them at the scraper, however I have the old set of craftsman Gt18 fenders still so can use those. I was able to shift into 3 of the 4 gears on the G12 so that's encouraging... for now. Would be missing a seat but first gotta see if it works. As for rear tires, the left is junk but I have spare 10.50s but mabey with a tube the 9.50 thats on it will be ok.

So what is the real damage or reason they were scraped? I dunno, mabey if I get them running I will find out what was wrong. Any suggestions now?

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 03:42 PM

Overall I think you got a good deal, including the weights.
As to why they were scrapped, there could be many reasons why they were scrapped.

I wish you the best in getting them going.
Sounds like you may be able to get one good tractor out of all the parts.

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 04:16 PM

Well, they are now off the truck and I need to figure out how to move them closer to my shop... The Caterpillar (craftman gt18) hasnt gotten its new wheels yet so can't mount and fill the tires... so it wont be able to move those Bolens. I may have to fire up the Case 444 and put it thru its paces (to date results of last paces was uh... huge leak and 50 bucks less in my pocket lol). Good news is the 444 has filled ag rears so it will probably yank them Bolens around.... Question though, for all you Bolens guys, is there anything I need to watch out for in way of getting them going? Anything I might want to not blow up or catch on fire? lol
I think I can actually get them both going, just need to make steering linkage for the one and take off the remnants of steering wheels in order to replace them. But worst case I can have one, depends more how many I can get to run.

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 04:21 PM

These Tube frames are built pretty simple... Basically if your clutch works, the engine runs and you have the tranny together they will run.

Just remember to remove the free wheeling pin so you will be able to pull/push them around. If you dont remove the pin you will be dragging around 500 pounds + of dead weight LOL

Untitled (15).jpg

You may also want to look in the manuals section for the service manuals for these Tube frames. They have some good info in them.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 04:25 PM

That's great info there for any newbie to the Bolens tube frames, freewheeling lol. It shouldn't matter with snow on the ground the dragged should slide better... If the puller can get any traction LOL.

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 05:22 PM

I have dragged far worse than that G12 home & turned them into nice tractors. So I "officially challenge you" ! That's a lot of money, but also a LOT of inventory. I think you did fine. We all know what cast weights run on ebay!

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 11, 2011 - 05:33 PM

I have dragged far worse than that G12 home & turned them into nice tractors. So I "officially challenge you" ! That's a lot of money, but also a LOT of inventory. I think you did fine. We all know what cast weights run on ebay!

The wheel weights and ags sold me on the G10, the G10 sold me on the G12 LOL. But yes, I believe both are resurrect able, however, I will only shoot for working condition, as I am unsure whether I really need them to be great condition, but we will see, one step at a time. In my opinion the only flaw is sheet metal, and on the G10 I kinda like the beat to hell fenders LOL, too bad the g12s fenders were rotted out as well as destroyed, but if I repaint a Craftsman GT18 fenders and install them it solves my fender problem while eliminating some of my scrap pile lol, besides, only a true Bolens guy will care, and when he realizes they were scrap yard victims he will understand lol.

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 05:14 PM

Well, I got ambitious today and removed the right side wheel weight from the G10. It's cast iron and definitely factory to something and matches the other side (was on backwards). I set it on the scale expecting it to weigh about 35-45 pounds, and was surprised, the scale read 63.5 pounds!!!! So those wheel weights will go on the Craftsman Gt18 with the brand new tires and wheels that will be filled with about 60 pounds of washer fluid per side. I think it is safe to say the Caterpillar (Craftsman GT18) will not have traction issues ever again, now I need to find a 12 inch moldboard for it to pull :)

#27 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 05:45 PM

The weights are not Bolens. Must be some other brand.
The Bolens weights run around 50 pounds each

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 06:07 PM

The weights are not Bolens. Must be some other brand.
The Bolens weights run around 50 pounds each

Didn't say they were Bolens, personally, I could care less what brand they are, they are 63 pounds each, that's worth putting them on the work tractor lol.

#29 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 06:16 PM

Didn't say they were Bolens, personally, I could care less what brand they are, they are 63 pounds each, that's worth putting them on the work tractor lol.

I know.. I was just saying incase someone didnt know...
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#30 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 06:20 PM

I know.. I was just saying incase someone didnt know...

I understand now, makes sense. Well, it would be curious to know what they really came from, but haven't found markings yet.