18 replies to this topic

#1 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Ok guys my hh150 is burning oil bad. I have just ordered new seals for the valves and a head gasket.
Do you think that will fix the problem or I will have to do the rings as we'll.
also I think I saw some were, that someone also added cup type seals from a small block chev. Has anyone heard of this fix.

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 12:22 AM

If you haven't taken the engine apart yet do a leak down test on it first,that can help tell you if the rings are not sealing.
If the valve stem to guild clearnce is excessive I don't think seals will help much.
If your burning oil bad I would think you should check the bore for roundness and taper.But it sounds like you need at least a hone job and rings,perhaps a bore,hone and oversize piston if cylinder is worn badly.
How much do you plan on running this engine?

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 12:44 AM

I plan on using it a lot . A leak down test is a good idea, I will try that and see if I can get a better idea of what is going on in there. I see there are oversized valve , but I don't know how available they are. This thing sat for quit some time, I wonder if it might have a sticky ring? When I first got it fired up it did not smoke, but the more I run it the worse it seems to get. I'm not sure if that means any thing or not. Maybe that is a clue.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:10 AM

It usually is stuck rings, gas in the oil, or a bad breather. Check the breather first. Pour some Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) through the spark plug hole and let it sit for a few days. Add a little MMO to the gas. Start the engine and run it until its hot. Add MMO through the plughole again.  Then let it sit for a few days. Start it up on a rainy day(it will really smoke) and see how it does. If it gets better try again. I've saved many old cars by running MMO in the gas for several months. They stop burning oil, the compression comes up and they run smoother. Good Luck, Rick

• SamMC said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:25 AM

If you are going to use the engine a lot, I would consider redoing the engine.  Pistons, rings, and rod are available aftermarket (and I can get them for you) only in standard.  Going .010 over gets to be a bit more expensive as you will have to buy OEM Tecumseh.  If you can do it now and can get by with standard you might save yourself some money down the road.  That is only true if your old piston and rings are going out. 

I would also look into redoing the valve guides.  It is not that expensive to do, and if they leak you will have similar problems.  $17 for the kit. 

The valve oversizes you mentioned are 1/32 over.  They are NLA and can be found only through NOS guys like me.  And my inventory is not much help this time.

Ben W.

• trowel said thank you

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 08:32 AM

If this is going to be a work horse i have to agree with Ben, it will save you a lot of trouble in the long run, the Tech engines don't tolerate much and are very well know for chucking the rod cap due to low oil, usually always because the rings were worn and the engine was burning oil, i have seem many of these with peep holes in the block.

If you re-ring, check the crank pin and rod/cap, another reason Techs chuck rods is side cap types don't tolerate much rod play very well.

• superaben said thank you

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Rainier,,,, Sorry to hear about the engine.. Hope it's an easy fix...I'll be watching this post..

Trowel,,,,,,  You scare me when you say rod-cap,,dosen't  handle much rod play...   My Tec HH150 sounds like a bit of a knock when running.. I was thinking of putting some STP in it in spring.. Not now cause of the cold..But later to thicken up the oil a little in the bottom end..

• trowel said thank you

#8 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks guys I will keep you informed on how this project goes. I'm in the middle of putting up a new shop. I'm sure this will be one of my first projects.
  • trowel said thank you

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Rainier,,,, Sorry to hear about the engine.. Hope it's an easy fix...I'll be watching this post..

Trowel,,,,,,  You scare me when you say rod-cap,,dosen't  handle much rod play...   My Tec HH150 sounds like a bit of a knock when running.. I was thinking of putting some STP in it in spring.. Not now cause of the cold..But later to thicken up the oil a little in the bottom end..

I try not to scare, only inform, don't go too thick on the oil or it will starve the rod, another reason they chuck rods, just keep the oil full and look into it in the spring.

The cast iron Techs last long and is a very good engine, well worth rebuilding if needed.

• sodisr and Bill 76 have said thanks

#10 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hi everyone
We'll I have got the engine tore down, and it looks like I'm not the first to be in there. Today I'm going down to the local machine shop and get some parts miced up. I have a picture where someone put a piece of tin foil in the cover side. I think it may have a leaky seal and this was there fix, also I noticed some rust around the intake side, probably got some rain in there while sitting.
I did do a oil change and it almost quit smoking, I was happy with that outcome.but it would still throw out a little smoke.
Look at what they did with the exhaust ,it looks like they threaded it and stuffed a piece of pipe. I wonder if that has any effect on how the engine runs?
I'll be posting more soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 11:04 AM

That's always scary ,,,when people cobble things up...Hopefully, now  that it is apart,, you can fix it properly...Good luck...

#12 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 02:18 PM

We'll the ol hh150 was not to bad. Crank and rod checked out great. The piston and rings are in need of some help. Either I can re ring it with std. Rings, it was only .004 out, but I am looking for .010 over. I found the piston set but someone has taken the rings out of the box.they are looking to find the proper rings for me. Without the rings it is nothing more than a expensive paper weight.
The head was not to bad it needs new guides .i have found the guide set ,gasket set and seal set.the valves are still usable but would like to find new ones. The exhaust valve is available , but haven't been able to find the intake.
More to come soon.
  • trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Ok guys I think I've done it. I have found the .010 piston and ring set. It might be the last one in North America .it was not cheap.But now the ol' bolens will be good for many years to come.
Once again thanks for everyone's help
  • trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:38 PM

.004 over is far enough, you made the right choice, seems you cornered the OS ring and piston market.

You did not mention the bore condition, is it glazed or scored ? did you drop a bore gauge into it, usually when the rings go the bore wears unevenly.

While the head is off see if you can't lap in the valves, would go a long ways.

When you put on the compression ring make sure the rounded edge is facing up.

Best of luck and glad you found it.

#15 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks guys.
I feel like I just won the lottery! Up till about three months ago , I did not know anything about a Bolens. But now I'm addicted . Finding all the parts has been good fun. Maybe some day I'll paint it back to original colors?
Will post more pics as the project comes along.