• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Always some sort of computer issues here.  Now my laptop took a dive.  First I thought it was just a heat sink dirty, but not the case.  Spent a lot of tonight taking it apart & it wasn't super clean, but not that dirty either.  Then I read about the flash codes of the number lock & caps lock lights.  The code flash says the CPU has failed.   :wallbanging:   Guess I'll see about a new laptop if I can afford one.  For sure it will be a basic model, no flashy crap needed here.  

While I love the internet, I have a firm dislike of computers!

• hamman, sacsr, trowel and 4 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:35 PM

Same here, made to fail at the worst of times, last week the computer failed me, had to go to Apple and have them ''wake'' it up.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:17 PM

Yup, got a "love/hate" relationship going here with mine as well. It's great when it's working, but I have a heck of a time fixing something that I can't use a wrench or screw driver on! Some days I'm tempted to get a hammer, but I'm afraid that would fix it permanently, lol.
  • HDWildBill, HANKG and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 12:21 AM

Yep, and it has nothing to do with the ground feed stuck under your fingernails dropping into the keyboard.

• superaben, oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 12:40 AM

I know how you feel,mine crashed about a week ago.Told the wife I was going to take it in the garage and fix it with a hammer,she knew I was po enought to do it so she worked her magic on it and saved it from the garbage can.

Now if I could get the C key to work right----ccccccc   :mad2:

• Alc, oldedeeres and HANKG have said thanks

#6 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 05:35 AM

I found a good buy on two Toshibas with windows 7 when windows 8 came out and bought both of them cheap. when one goes in the shop I've got a spear. Now all I need to do is learn how to use them.

• Alc, HDWildBill, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 05:48 AM

Sorry to hear your laptop went , I'm sure there are ones that will work out for you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 06:54 AM

I think the new laptops are more reliable now than the older ones were. I'd stay away from the super fast ones. That speed comes with a price, higher power consumption, which results in shorter battery life and more heat which is the enemy of all electronics. If you just need it for internet use then a basic model with the screen size you need would be a good choice and save you some $. There are some good used ones out there but a lot of lemons also. At the church we have had several used laptops given to us for use in the sound room for video/audio. Non of them was reliable enough to do the job. Crashes and video problems that defied fixing.  Unless you can get a used one really cheap I'd spring for a new one with a warranty. 

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:09 AM

I picked mine up at a pawn shop at a decent price. Does a good job.

#10 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I just picked up a new one a month ago and there are a lot of choices with windows 8 but very few with windows 7 so it took a lot of searching to  find one with 7 as I was not interested in learning a new system.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:23 AM

I went ahead a bought an almost new laptop about 6-8 months ago just because with my business I need reliability.  I'm only a Windows 7 kind of guy, I can't stand the new junk Windows is trying to force on us.  My excuse for warranty was to take out an insurance policy on it.  I've heard good things out of those who use the insurance policies, being careful who you use of course.  It is very affordable and saves me from worrying.

Ben W.

#12 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 08:03 AM

Sometimes I want to lay mine down very gently in the driveway and then drive over it with my panzer
  • Grumpy, oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#13 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 09:31 AM

I like My Dell, this is my third, and third only because the second took a can of beer in the keyboard. Got this one on Kijiji for 300 because the screen had a red line through the middle. Its a high end business model that the university uses as a standard for their teachers.

It was still on warranty so I jumped through Dells warranty hoops and got the screen fixed locally for free.

Running win 7 64 bit, upgraded ram to 6 gigs and Hard drive to 500gig. total cost 600.00, and its faster than a lot of the new machines that cost double.

Perfect for the garage for media and research. I'm networked with a quad core media desktop server, and an 8 core desktop PC  downstairs and the wifes 2 laptops upstairs.

Stay away from win 8 as long as possible.

Look for an upgradeable machine that will do what you need,

We use Lenovo and Sony Vaio laptops at work, and they seem to be pretty solid machines, although the Vaios had a couple of fan issues.

I've never liked HP laptops, and I've never tried any of the others. Both the wifes laptops (personal and work) are Higher end Dells.

As a side note on toughness, the second dell I had, took a can of beer in the keyboard. I took it apart and dried it all out but I could never get the keyboard or DVD to work again. It still starts and runs, but needs a USB keyboard and mouse to be useful. I bought a newer laptop so it sits on a shelf downstairs. A lttle while ago, the water line to the humidifier leaked on it, when I found it, it was literally full of water.  I drained it all out, a let it sit for a few months.

I   pulled the hard drive and its got rust all over it but it still works. turned it on the other day, and it starts right up.

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 09:32 AM

I think the new laptops are more reliable now than the older ones were. I'd stay away from the super fast ones. That speed comes with a price, higher power consumption, which results in shorter battery life and more heat which is the enemy of all electronics. If you just need it for internet use then a basic model with the screen size you need would be a good choice and save you some $. There are some good used ones out there but a lot of lemons also. At the church we have had several used laptops given to us for use in the sound room for video/audio. Non of them was reliable enough to do the job. Crashes and video problems that defied fixing.  Unless you can get a used one really cheap I'd spring for a new one with a warranty. 

Best advice.  My experience has been that a laptop does not last as long as a desktop mainly because it can't get rid of the heat like a desktop can.  You may want to look at the Google Chrome laptops.  I personally haven't used one but what I have been reading about them they are pretty nice.

• JDBrian, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 09:46 AM

last year I got fed up with windows machines, viruses, expensive updates and the such. I went out and bought a Mac Book Pro, I love the thing. 7 hours of battery life per charge and it just works. Takes a lil getting used to the finger gestures but it's worth it. But they are expensive.