Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 448 tear down and rebuild / restore thread.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#61 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 02:51 PM

Not much of an excuse since 90% of the parts for that Case are still available and reasonably priced

#62 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 03:21 PM

I refuse to have a 5 page debate as to what is right or what is wrong as it is just like a political discussion. That tractor was on craigslist for a solid two weeks before I contacted the guy. Plenty of time for anyone else to grab it. If I would have parted out any other brand you guys could have cared less. I don't tell you what to do with your tractors or money.

#63 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 03:51 PM

how many tractors were saved from George parting out the Case? How many may have ended up going to salvage because the owner was unable to find the parts he/she needed? Just my 2 cents

That is a very good question. How many tractors DID get saved as a result of what George did?

How about we look at that?

Did the three point hitch, the hydraulic PTO, the holding valve SAVE any tractors? I don’t think so because those were all options that were an easy sell and brought George big money. Those items did not make the difference between a tractor living or dying.

A used pump saves no tractor. New ones are available every day and so are the drive motors. Oil coolers, front axles, spindles, front rims and tires, rear rims and tires, battery trays, exhaust shielding, hoods, fenders, foot rests, mid-lift cylinders and apparatus, travel , lift and PTO levers bring very little money because they rarely need replacing, if ever. I’ve seen trans-axles sell for as little as $20.00 and these often get used for purposes OTHER than saving a tractor. I’m guessing that those of you who support George’s decision have never owned and restored a Case because if you had, you would know that the parts that need replacing are ones you would never buy used anyway. Those are what we call “wear parts” because they get worn out on a regular basis. So what’s the point of buying another worn part off flea-bay?

Those items are things like rod ends for the tie rod and drag link, pivot pins for the front axle, wheel bearings, nylon bushings for the steering column and control levers, decals, paint, perhaps a hydraulic hose and perhaps a hydraulic pump. None of these are all that expensive and if you don’t put them in new, then you are not much of a restorer. The 448 that George destroyed came with a nearly indestructible cast steel front axle and trans-axle plus a frame made from structural steel, not pressed sheet metal like so many tractors are today.

It had almost no parts made of plastic or fiberglass. Almost every part on that 448 is still available from Eastman/Ingersoll. Most of the wear parts are common items that can be found at local supply houses. Therefore, this mantra about tractors being saved as a result of George’s action is a load of crap. I was not the only one who urged George to buy this tractor because he said that he finally want to experience what it was like to own a Case.

Yes… it was George’s property. He paid for it and that gives him the right to do whatever he wants with it. All of you that believe firmly in that position should be tied to a chair and forced to watch some local scrap yard employee take a cutting torch to tractor after tractor that you would love to put in your collection. No…it does not matter which brand you treasure. Whatever that brand might be is the one that you should see destroyed all because the scrap yard owner bought that tractor and now has the “right” to do with it as he pleases. The rarer the better. Let’s see how much you like it then, shall we?

#64 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 03:52 PM

Reasonably priced all depends on how deep one's pockets are. NOBODY has a right to tell others how/what to do with their property. I think the best thing to do is close this thread. Closed