Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 448 tear down and rebuild / restore thread.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#46 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:42 PM

I suppose prices are different by location, but what does it cost to have someone else do the sandblasting. Do they charge by the hour, or is it done by the size of the item being cleaned?

#47 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:47 PM

I believe the place I was thinking about taking stuff to charges by the hour. I have a buddy who collects full size farm tractors, which are mainly Olivers and he takes a lot of parts to this guy. I am going to call him tomorrow to get prices. If the prices are not bad then I will probably just have him do it then it saves me the mess and hassle.

About the gas/diesel powered compressor to rent, I can actually borrow one from work which I did actually do last summer when I restored dad's 1053 and I also borrowed their sandblaster as well. It was big enough to put two 100lb bags of sand in which is what I did. Problem was the nozzle should have been replaced and I didn't think anything of it. I went through 200 lbs of sand in about 5 minutes LOL. After that I put it away and went back to using my stuff haha.

#48 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 08:12 PM

The auto restorer near me has a pro blaster come to his shop a few times a year, or whenever he gets a lot of stuff ready to blast. It's $100 per hour for the blaster....media included.

#49 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted April 22, 2011 - 12:48 PM

What ever happened to this tractor? Did you shelf it, or are you still working on it?

Edited by jj69chev, April 23, 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#50 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 04:50 PM

What wver happened to this tractor? Did you shelf it, or are you still working on it?

Hmmmmmmm !:D:D:D:D

#51 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 06:49 PM

What ever happened to this tractor? Did you shelf it, or are you still working on it?

George parted it out.

#52 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 09:31 PM

George parted it out.

Had I known that he was going to do that... I'd have never encouraged him to buy it. That 448 was an easy restoration and would have served someone well for the next 30 years .

I guess that's why he has ignored this question and instead... allowed you to answer it for him.

#53 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 08:36 AM

Had I known that he was going to do that... I'd have never encouraged him to buy it. That 448 was an easy restoration and would have served someone well for the next 30 years .

I guess that's why he has ignored this question and instead... allowed you to answer it for him.

No I wouldn't be ignoring the question. I have a lot on my plate right now with shows coming up, video editing and trying to work on the tractors. Yes I did part it out, did I really want to? No. I decided to part it out because I am at the point where I needed a larger air compressor which will benefit the tractors in the long run. I chose the Case to part out because the money to parts ratio is higher. I would have done the same to any of the other ones if I could have gotten the same amount.

#54 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 12:21 PM

No I wouldn't be ignoring the question. I have a lot on my plate right now with shows coming up, video editing and trying to work on the tractors. Yes I did part it out, did I really want to? No. I decided to part it out because I am at the point where I needed a larger air compressor which will benefit the tractors in the long run. I chose the Case to part out because the money to parts ratio is higher. I would have done the same to any of the other ones if I could have gotten the same amount.

So much for the idealism of tractor preservation, right George? Another Case dies because you need an air compressor. Not much chance that one of your precious Massey's would ever get parted out, is there? You could have just sold that 448 as a basket case to Maynard or someone else who would have restored it. How many parts never got sold ? How many of those parts will end up in your next run to the scrap yard?

There are tractors that have deteriorated to the point where parting out is preferable to the local metal recycler. This was not one of them.
  • michaelj said thank you

#55 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 12:41 PM

I have parted Massey's, Case, & many other brands myself. What it comes down to is who owns it has the right to do as they wish. Nobody but George should make the call as to what George does with his tractors. Would you not want the same courtesy given to you?
Every part sold off any tractor is going to provide longer service for another tractor.

#56 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 12:43 PM

I don't want to get into a flame war of any sort, but as has been stated time and again on this forum and others, If no one ever parted them out, there wouldn't be parts to restore the rest of them. I personally wouldn't want the parts that were too worn to be of any use. George has done many things for all of us who are members fer at his own expense! Chide him if you will, but remember that I for one support him and in the end, the owner has the right to do with it as he sees fit!

#57 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 01:09 PM

That was a nice machine. RIP

#58 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 01:49 PM

Oh my George how could you part out a tractor. We know that one tractor you parted out only helped the guys and girls that have a tractor that they needed something for it and could not find to get there tractor up and back in use. We also know that that tractor made you enough money to retire on and now you are looking for all tractors to part out lol. My answer to anyone that does not like a tractor parted out then they should never buy a used part and only get new ones if they can and if not then they could just park the tractor and turn into a flower pot. Now if we only got parts from a wore out run to death tractor then we would only have less parts to use.

#59 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 02:06 PM

WELL I would be pretty pissed to if I sent someone a nice deal and then they parted it out when you couldve sent the deal to someone else who would have restored it

#60 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 02:18 PM

I have to agree with Olcowhand. Also, how many tractors were saved from George parting out the Case? How many may have ended up going to salvage because the owner was unable to find the parts he/she needed? Just my 2 cents