Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 448 tear down and rebuild / restore thread.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#31 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 11:35 AM

But the pump/lovejoy is all fitted solid to the engine with the bell shaped pump mount, so no way to alter their positions with changes in the motor/frame mounts.

Dan,
That's quite true but the pump is being fed oil via an expensive ($50.00) molded J-hose that is a pre-determined length and it is feeding high pressure hose of a pre-determined length. If you raise the engine off the frame, can also run into clearance issues.. After all, Case cut a section out of the frames so that the Onan engines would fit under the hood. There is also PTO actuation geometry at stake along with the length of belts used to power attachments. The entire tractor was engineered with the centerline of the crank at a specified height. The Onan powered tractors were introduced in 1972 and continued until 1988. For sixteen years, Case put the rubber pucks under the frame.

Do you guys think that they would build thousands of tractors over those years if that method did not work? :confuse:

George....... here's the standard saying used by the building trades. "Not my house. Build it however you want." In this instance, Not my tractor George. But when the problems, such as broken mounting ears on the oil pan show up, don't say you were not told.

Lastly George. old buddy, old friend , old pal:worshippy1:........ there is no reason for you to not join the new site that Jack, Charles and I created. We are not in competition with your site. Jack and I look in here to try and help as often as time permits. However, you are now a Case owner and you are taking on a restoration. Do you not think it prudent to join and avail yourself of the 350 members there who own similar tractors? You know how to find us. I'm not going to post a link on your site because that's plain rude. And everyone knows I'm a pussycat at heart.:D:D:D:D:D:D

#32 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 11:41 AM

I am going to try and see if we can't get the stuff locally and if we can't I will order it from hardborfreight or northern tool. Thank you for the pics and description Daniel.

George,
If the wheel is held on with a large nut that is threaded onto the steering shaft, then thread that nut back onto the steering shaft to the point where it is flush with the top of the steering shaft. THEN, use the puller. That way, you will not bugger the threads on the steering shaft while breaking the wheel lose from the grip of the rust.

#33 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 05:13 PM

We got the tractor completely stripped down other then removing the steering wheel and the steering column. I am going to order the bearing separator online from sears tonight. I am going to get some hydraulic cap fittings to seal off everything. The rear end I am going to have sandblasted and the rest of the stuff is all going to be stripped in the electrolysis tank.

As for the case site I know it is not competition and maybe I will eventually join but I barely have time as it is to post as much as I would like to here let alone on any other forums.

Here are a couple pics of the progress.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0168.jpg
  • DSC_0167.jpg

#34 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 05:53 PM

George looks like your flying along on this project, you definitely have a good place to work on it, that steering wheel probably going to pop of with the right tools. Good stuff.
IMO this is the only GT forum you need.

#35 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:48 AM

George-There are two other ways to handle the steering wheel issue. Many of them will not budge even with kroil oil on there for a week. So here are the other options. Some people cut the shaft in the middle, and pull the wheel out from the top, and the gear end out of the bottom. They then weld it back into place. Or they use a sleeve on each end and either weld it or put set screws on each end.
The other way is to cut the gear off at the bottom. Usually the teeth are worn anyway, so flipping it over and welding it back on gives it 30+ years of new teeth.The key is that you don't want to ruin the steering wheel. You can try pulling it, but don't try too hard...

As to our other site. I am proud to say that I am a member here and will continue to be until George bans me( you never know). I enjoy the people on this site and have since I first joined. I have made some very good friends here, and intend to keep them forever. I like to learn about other brands of garden tractors. Our site is strictly Colt-Case-Ingersoll. There is no competition going on between sites. In fact when anyone asks why we don't allow other brands to be discussed I tell them that there are other sites out there that they should look at and I ALWAYS refer them to GT Talk. Please understand that I remain loyal to GtTalk.
DH1 you may or may not be correct about whether George needs any other site. Here's why. George had several questions that are very brand specific. Members here gave it a shot based upon what they thought was right. Why wouldn't George want to post such a specific question to 350+ people who have the experience and knowledge to answer his question within a matter of minutes? He could post the same question on GTTalk as well. There is no rule about asking the same question in two different places. Perhaps he found out some information elsewhere and he could bring it to GTTalk and share it with everyone here.
I will try to answer as many Case questions here as I can. I am not an expert by any means. But I will do my best.

#36 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 08:19 AM

I am hoping my electrolysis setup works well. I want to stop at our local hydraulic shop and get some caps for the fittings for the control valve and the holding valve and also tape up areas I don't want to be affected by the sandblasting and I am going to take the main control valve, and the rear end assembly with the holding valve attached and have it sandblasted. I don't want to try and put the rear end or the valve body in the electrolysis tank.

#37 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:49 PM

As to our other site. I am proud to say that I am a member here and will continue to be until George bans me( you never know). I enjoy the people on this site and have since I first joined. I have made some very good friends here, and intend to keep them forever. I like to learn about other brands of garden tractors. Our site is strictly Colt-Case-Ingersoll. There is no competition going on between sites. In fact when anyone asks why we don't allow other brands to be discussed I tell them that there are other sites out there that they should look at and I ALWAYS refer them to GT Talk. Please understand that I remain loyal to GtTalk.
DH1 you may or may not be correct about whether George needs any other site. Here's why. George had several questions that are very brand specific. Members here gave it a shot based upon what they thought was right. Why wouldn't George want to post such a specific question to 350+ people who have the experience and knowledge to answer his question within a matter of minutes? He could post the same question on GTTalk as well. There is no rule about asking the same question in two different places. Perhaps he found out some information elsewhere and he could bring it to GTTalk and share it with everyone here.
I will try to answer as many Case questions here as I can. I am not an expert by any means. But I will do my best.

I might of come across the wrong way when I said what I said, for George or anyone to look elsewhere for info, help, advice is not a problem. Heck I do that when I can't find out stuff I want to know, what I was trying to get across was that there is probably enough talent, info here to do his restoration, and yes there would be more knowledge at a brand specific site. For the record I am a member at MTF, GE Elec-Trak, Canadian antique tractor and Austin EV photo album. I don't really participate much in those, MTF the most but less and less as time goes on.
I'm the kind of guy that when I find something I like I tend to stick with it.
What I like about this place is members share there tractors and stories. They talk, show, ask and answer questions about there garden tractors. Whether you have 1 gt or a 100, a rare mint condition museum piece or a bunch of parts scattered about, it doesn't matter. I have found this to be a very friendly helpful place.
The only thing I don't like is that I will never get to meet or talk to face to face most of the members here. I mean think about it wouldn't it be nice to have a GTtalk members event where we could all get together once a year for a day or two and meet in person. That's never going to happen, I have only met 1 member from GTtalk, the rest all I know is what I see on my monitor.

Doug

added 2 members I've met, just remembered.

Edited by DH1, January 17, 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#38 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 10:28 PM

The only thing I don't like is that I will never get to meet or talk to face to face most of the members here. I mean think about it wouldn't it be nice to have a GTtalk members event where we could all get together once a year for a day or two and meet in person. That's never going to happen, I have only met 1 member from GTtalk, the rest all I know is what I see on my monitor.

Doug

Never say never Doug. I have already met one of my GTT brothers and if all goes as planned, I will meet several more in the spring at the PA plow day event in April. It's a little more than 4 hours away, but I've driven further than that for a lot more frivolous reasons than meeting some of the greatest people I've ever come across.

#39 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 05:28 AM

Your coming right along on this project,George.:thumbs:

#40 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 07:57 PM

Well for those that have seen my electrolysis thread you will know that I have put that on hold for now as it is taking too long and my results are not that great with it so far. I think it may mainly be because of the cold weather but it could also be some setup issues as well. I will experiment with it come spring when the weather warms up.

For the Case, tonight we set the Onan back on the frame and bolted to mounting bolts down to hold it securely. I wanted to try and bench run the motor to see if it was worth dumping money in to or not and possibly help me make some other decisions. Anyway we used our newly acquired charger and hooked it up to the coil and grounded the motor. Tried spinning it off and shot a little carb cleaner down the carb and it fired for maybe one revolution and then nothing else after that.

So we took the sparkplugs out to check for spark and nothing on either one, even tried a new sparkplug to make sure it wasn't the plugs. So I pulled the cover off of the points and I remembered looking at them when I first got the tractor and saying to dad that they were shot or needed some help. So I got out my trusty file and cleaned the points up. There was a spot on the one where it was like it was pitted and the missing piece was stuck to the other one. I cleaned both of them up and we spun the motor over again to check for spark and sure enough we were good.

Put the plugs back in and tried it again. The motor fired off right away and actually sounded pretty good for not having the points gap checked and running on carb cleaner. It didn't smoke at all and the only thing was all the stuck carbon that blew out and went all over the place.

Decisions, decisions...... decisions LOL

#41 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 04:24 PM

I spent about a half hour today scraping dried grease off the Onan engine. George wants to pressure wash it so I figure I can make the job easier. Current temperature here is only 23, so the pressure washing will have to wait.
Sure wish the video camera had been set up the other night when we got the engine fired up, but I think George was anxious to see if it would run and didn't even think about making a video.

#42 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 04:48 PM

Glad you guys are making headway, Great news on the motor firing...
Now you can sell it as a running engine & put that toward a diesel.
Just kidding.

#43 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:12 PM

I have been having issues on deciding what I want to do with the Case 448. I do like the tractor and it is going to take some money to get it restored right. I know what the parts are worth and there are a lot of other projects I would like to work on as well. I think I have decided to restore it. It might be a while until it is finished though.

I can take the parts to a local guy to sandblast for me but I have been thinking about saving the money to buy a real air compressor that will support continuous sandblasting. I am going to start a thread in the tool shed for discussion on that.

#44 Softail OFFLINE  

Softail

• Member No: 1900
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:26 PM

I ordered my motor mounts from mcmaster carr out of chicago.il. They have any style you would need . I did on line and got next day $300-4.00 apiece hope that helps

#45 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 05:26 PM

As far as sandblasting I thought of setting myself up one day and rent a gas compressor to blast all the stuff I want yo get done.