Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Brought One Home Today! A Bit Of A Project But A Great Deal!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Yes, as Kenny said, you likely have a seized bearing.  The female pto output at rear of tractor should turn by hand if not engaged.  Bet it's the big bearings down there doing it.

• KennyP and gtcsreg have said thanks

#17 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Yes, as Kenny said, you likely have a seized bearing.  The female pto output at rear of tractor should turn by hand if not engaged.  Bet it's the big bearings down there doing it.

Would I need a press to remove and install? I assume so, I know where my Grandpa's press wound up so I could call in a favor if I take it that far.  Where do you guys get your bearings.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 12:14 PM

There is a large clip on the back side of that bearing, then press or mallet drive out.  I've never had to remove any of mine though, so not sure on the bearings.  Likely a number on the bearing so you could cross it at a bearing supplier.   Sounds like your shaft bearings are turning ok, or things would be locked to the engine, preventing cranking, leaving only this large bearing to cause your issue.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#19 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Anyone remember a thread on here with photos showing a carb rebuild on a K341 Kohler?

Reg

#20 bigge61 OFFLINE  

bigge61

• Member No: 2914
  • 96 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Nice find! My 1450 has the 3pt and pto but somewhere along the line the driveshaft to the hydro(which has a double belt pulley to the pto shaft) was replaced with a 1 piece driveshaft  with no pulley to drive pto.  If I'm not mistaken the 1450/1650A was the pto model and had a 2 pice driveshaft from engine to hydrostat. Either way I will make it work.

Those carbs are super simple to rebuild, you can get a kit at your local Napa.  Pay attention when you take it apart and put it back together the same way but cleaner!!!!

• gtcsreg said thank you

#21 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Great score! Yep big bearing on the PTO siezed. Carb rebuild will be easy and a local Hydraulics place can repair the cylinder shaft. Whats the black thingamajig hanging out the dash under the steering wheel.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#22 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Great score! Yep big bearing on the PTO siezed. Carb rebuild will be easy and a local Hydraulics place can repair the cylinder shaft. Whats the black thingamajig hanging out the dash under the steering wheel.

Not sure what dash wire is.  He used this to pull trailers around and there seems to be a brake light plug in where rear driver's tail light should be.  Its' a plug in of some sort.  I'm up for guesses.