Garden Tractor Forums banner

Anyone Have Any Huffy Tractors?

10K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  mdnklmn5421 
#1 ·
Got the thinking this morning about the Huffman "huffy" tractors we had as a kid

We had a fairlane, and another one that had a bigger deck, 32" maybe, 2 round head lights and the right pedal was the throttle.

#6 ·
My dad bought me a used one sometime in the late 60s. I mowed yards in the neighborhood for 2 or 3 dollars and had money left over after buying the gas. We decided to paint it , t was green and white , I believe. Dad showed me how to mask off stripes and lettering by smearing them with grease before spraying the surrounding paint then wiping off the grease after the new paint dried.I turned it over backwards by trying to climb a hill that was too steep. I walked away , actually ran away, unscratched but shaken up.I'd like to have another one now for old times sake.

#8 ·
Those look like "high end" models compared to what I remember. The hood and grill was one piece of bent metal with a big decal for the grill. Seems like the front tires on mine were hard rubber and hollow like hand-trucks often have. The rears may have been the same. The front and rear tires and wheels were the same size or close. I believe it had a three speed trans under the seat with chain drive to the rear axle. I don't believe the deck floated. It was bolted solid to the frame. This is making me want to find one like it now.

#10 ·
Those look like "high end" models compared to what I remember. The hood and grill was one piece of bent metal with a big decal for the grill. Seems like the front tires on mine were hard rubber and hollow like hand-trucks often have. The rears may have been the same. The front and rear tires and wheels were the same size or close. I believe it had a three speed trans under the seat with chain drive to the rear axle. I don't believe the deck floated. It was bolted solid to the frame. This is making me want to find one like it now.
this is what we had when I was a kid. Exactly.

I found out at 4 that if I slammed it into gear I could ride a wheelie.

#17 ·
Not trying to be dumb here - is this same huffy that made bikes?
As a matter of fact it was.

Huffy made their first bicycle under the HUFFY name in 1949, went bankrupt in 2004 and their assets were turned over to a Chinese company. They had been making bicycles since 1892 but they were marketed under other names, DAYTON being one of them.

They started making mowers in 1950, and continued making them until they sold their Outdoor Power Equipment division in 1975.

#19 ·
Reviving an old thread: I just got one of these myself. A 1967? Huffy Ranchero. I am planning a total restoration for this. I'll have to take some pictures.
Lets see those pictures....I might be buying a Ranchero tomorrow. How much should I be paying? I'm certain it doesn't run but I'm betting with some TLC it would. The paint isn't great.