So using my AWESOMELY handy Harbor Freight alligator clip 12" test leads, I bench tested the new switch and it seems to work perfect. SCORE! Again, I have to mention just how useful these test leads are. I think they came in a pack of 10 or 12 with a few colors. Each end has an alligator clip with rubber boot on it. I have found these to come in so handy it's not even funny! I am going to temporally install the automotive ignition on my hydro-12 to see if the motor runs.
Anyway, back on topic... the new switch is 10x better that the cheap one Hobart had in there and for 10x less the cost! I have lucked out with this mig three times now. I got it for free not working. A little test meter digging later and I quickly found the on/off switch was bad. I stuck a switch from my tool box into it and 5 spools of wire later its still going strong. Next was the main circuit board failed, the on-board relays were junk. I found with a quick google search that I can buy the relays separately for $5.00 each. The board was $300..... The new relays were a pain, but it fixed it like new. Now the switch fix! Just awesome! What I should do is to buy a proper ground clamp.... but that standard spring clamp I stuck on the end just works perfect too.
Edited by FirefyterEmt, January 10, 2011 - 08:32 PM.