Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:02 AM

That's pretty cool, Smitty! Hope you can get it cheap.
Here's  a pic of the pump side:
1000A.JPG

Thanks, Kenny. Do yo know which systems those pumps support??? I''m pretty sure the traction motor pump is on the other side...thinking these might be the steering and boom lift pumps for the trencher.

Smitty

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:14 AM

That looks like an interesting machine. Not knowing a whole lot about them, but seeing them used from time to time. It seems likely that it would have separated hydraulic systems, one for the ditcher and another for the drive. Sounds cool, hope it works out for you.

Thanks, Shorty.

Case Industrial still has an online parts manual for them--though many components are NLA or superseded and tells you to contact your local dealer.

There are several different variations of the machine--looks like they were built from the 70's into the late 80's or early 90's--the Case 360 uses the same backhoe, and updated version of the Wisc V4 or a Hatz? or Deutz? diesel.

The manual lists separate pumps for the steering, boom lift, etc. but isn't too clear where it's located on the machine. I also don't have the series or serial number, which I need to get.

Smitty

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:36 AM

I just found the pic for ya, Smitty! Otherwise, "I know notthhiinng!"

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Cool machine for sure ! But expensive to repair if the pumps go bad... As it ruins everything... I see lines off the main pump not a good sign? Make sure all the valves are still there and working.
No stabilizers , but a blade in the rear.. if you want a TLB ( tractor loader backhoe) this rig could work but as tractor for garden stuffs.... Not sure how you could get the hoe and blade off to get a hitch and pto on? Actually pto is the easy part... Make it hydraulic... But getting the other stuff off and on???? That would be the tricky part.

Thanks, Keith. As usual, you can zero in and identify potential challenges that I might overlook--serves as a good reality check.

I don't plan to keep the trencher... as you noted, the b/h is pretty permanently mounted--heavy, too 1,000 lbs. The backfill blade can swivel from side to side, but is on a single vertical piston--just moves straight up and down--seems kind of clumsy, actually. I would probably remove it and build outriggers.

As I've researched more, I've discovered it won't be as nimble as a CUT--larger turn radius and slower. My original plans are to mount a FEL on it... if that turns out to be unfeasible, the backhoe would still be handy for a CUT.

Thanks again,

Smitty

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:38 AM

I just found the pic for ya, Smitty! Otherwise, "I know notthhiinng!"

Thanks, Kenny... I'm hot on the trail-- should narrow it down soon.

Smitty
  • KennyP and trowel have said thanks

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Know nothing about these but want one completely functional. Spend a lot of time on Machinery Trader Dreaming.

I have often considered trenching as a part time job when I retire. And as I have said many times I kind of got my start at 15 running my Dad's 310 Case Utility Tractor and am a big fan of the Case line of construction equipment.

You might want to check the ground speed? I know trenching is quite slow. Which would take a very paitent person to use it as a tractor for most things.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 14, 2014 - 10:26 AM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 11:31 PM

UPDATE ON THE MACHINE

Well, I got hold of my old boss and we negotiated a price based on my further research and acceptance of the machine... It would have been a part cash, part work off deal, so it would have been pretty sweet.

I looked it over much more carefully this time... There are  alot of useful items on it--multispool valves, hydraulic motors--appear to be Sundstrands, the tires are about 75% remaining on 26x12-12s bar lug... hole spacing appears to be 5 on 4.5:. The axles themselves look like Dana 27s, or maybe 44s. 

IMG_20140314_154449_355.jpg IMG_20140314_154502_340.jpg

The engine is a Wisconsin VG4D if I read it correctly. It's missing the RH cylinder head, and the bores are rusty, but there may still be usable parts. It's Terex green in color, so I knew it wasn't original, but it looks like it may not be the correct engine for the machine also, as they had to cut parts of the frame and hood to install it.

IMG_20140314_152134_882.jpg IMG_20140314_152928_030.jpg

As I mentioned it's missing pumps that drive off the flywheel side of the engine.

IMG_20140314_152430_460.jpg

The machine seems to have two hydraulic reservoirs.  1 is under the seat  and is for the backhoe, the other is under the battery near the front of the machine (trencher chain side).  I didn't see a fuel tank, but there's a big open space at the front, so I suspect that's where it went.

I'm not sure what the second reservoir is for since the trencher is chain-driven, with the sprocket attached to a shaft. At the other end of the shaft is a clutch and a large poly V-velt pulley that is turned by the engine.

IMG_20140307_121256_414.jpg

IMG_20140314_152313_101.jpg

IMG_20140314_152820_266.jpg

The entire backhoe, though too heavy for a GT at 900 lbs, may work on a Compact Tractor. It is pinned to the frame of the machine, but the operator's position and valves are bolted to the frame itself so some modification would be required.

IMG_20140314_152207_015.jpg

Anyway, it is missing the pumps for the backhoe and the steering system.  I probably could use something else, but overall, it is a MUCH bigger project than I thought. I found you can access the parts book through Case Construction online.  Almost all of the major components--hydraulics, etc. are no longer available from Case. 

So, I decided not to pursue it.  If I find a CUT, I may buy the backhoe, but we'll have to see about that.

BTW, here's some of the specs for the machine:

• Wisconsin DH40 gas engine
  • SD100 backhoe
  • 48" trencher dig depth
  • 8" trencher dig width
  • 88" backhoe dig depth
  • 81" backhoe dump height
  • 18"W backhoe bucket
  • 115" overall backhoe reach
  • 54" wheelbase
  • 26x12 tires, 4 ply
  • Machine weight without backhoe: 3,000 lbs
  • SD100 Backhoe Weight: 900 lbs.

Smitty

• MH81 said thank you

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Well, sorry she didnt find a home, but very understandable. That would be an undertaking to bring back around.

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 06:54 AM

I can see your point in not getting it. But it would be a fun project with a small diesel in it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scut, cut, case, articulated