Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 12:39 AM

As many of you know, I've been looking for a compact tractor with four wheel drive, diesel power, and power steering.  Another thing I've been interested in but never thought I'd find, is an articulated machine.

Today I was visiting my old job, trying to find a loader from a skid steer that would fit on a front mount mower like a Toro or Kubota, when I stumbled upon this:

UTW CASE 30-4 LH RR.jpg UTW CASE 30-4 LH FR.jpg UTW CASE 30-4 LH.jpg

UTW CASE 30-4 BACKHOE RH.jpg

Since my former job is a salvage yard for construction equipment... I knew there would be some problems.... For example, the engine is a Wisconsin WH40, and is missing the RH cylinder head and the piston is rusted into the bore... but, I don't want to run gasoline in it anyway.  I could put the Mitsi L3E in it, or even a bigger Kubota if I come across one.

But, the valves all still moved, the steering cylinder is there... I don't care about the chain trencher, as I want a tractor... so I was pretty optimistic until....

I walked around to the other side....

That's when I found this, or rather should say didn't find.... something.... I looked online and there are a couple of pumps that are mounted on the right hand side--I directly to the flywheel, and 1 running from a belt off the flywheel.

UTW CASE 30-4 RH.jpg

So, is anyone familiar with the Case/Davis 30-4 trenchers?  What are the missing pumps used for??? Are they necessary to run this machine as a loader/backhoe? Or, can I substitute something...

Thanks,

Smitth

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 08, 2014 - 02:03 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 2 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 12:56 AM

I am green with envy!! You're going to have a ball working on it, and then with it. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for your questions, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help. A hoe like that has been on my "bucket list" for quite a while now. Congratulations.

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 02:02 AM

I am green with envy!! You're going to have a ball working on it, and then with it. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for your questions, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help. A hoe like that has been on my "bucket list" for quite a while now. Congratulations.

Thanks.I haven't finished the deal,yet, the co. owner is on vacation this week.  Hopefully he'll let it go cheaply... I've seen them on auction, and they seem to sell--running, for around $4000.

Smitty

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 03:01 AM

Hello Smitty,

I'm pleased to hear you found your ct!

Edited by jd.rasentrac, March 08, 2014 - 03:02 AM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 03:18 AM

Be a good project. Hope you can negotiate a deal with lots of headroom for the repair.

#6 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:36 AM

That looks like an interesting machine. Not knowing a whole lot about them, but seeing them used from time to time. It seems likely that it would have separated hydraulic systems, one for the ditcher and another for the drive. Sounds cool, hope it works out for you.

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,414 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Cool machine for sure ! But expensive to repair if the pumps go bad... As it ruins everything... I see lines off the main pump not a good sign? Make sure all the valves are still there and working.
No stabilizers , but a blade in the rear.. if you want a TLB ( tractor loader backhoe) this rig could work but as tractor for garden stuffs.... Not sure how you could get the hoe and blade off to get a hitch and pto on? Actually pto is the easy part... Make it hydraulic... But getting the other stuff off and on???? That would be the tricky part.

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 06:39 AM

That's pretty cool, Smitty! Hope you can get it cheap.

Here's  a pic of the pump side:

1000A.JPG

• trowel, Utah Smitty, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Whoa, that's a Heavy duty unit Smitty.  Looking at the picture above it looks like there are some large lines running back to the rear section drive and Hoe. You'll need to look it over carefully and determine what's missing and come up with some kind of parts estimate. If you can use generic pumps they might not be that pricey but I'm sure the Case parts would be high. If all the lines need replacing that alone could run you big$.  

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:28 AM

Manual, you need parts manual and operator's manual for the machine.

Don't know anything about them,

I think it is a good idea, modifying a trencher, heavy duty stuff,  have always wanted to try a all hydro driven tractor,

As the guys said, check everything first, she looks rough.

Attached Thumbnails

• case_4x4_articulated_garden_tractor___custom_built_1_lgw.jpg

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:49 AM

I had a 20+4 and a 25+4.I am pretty sure that there was not a pump mounted on the left side.The larger pump on the right side on mine was a Sundstrand which only run the drive motor for travel and the smaller pump mounted on the outside of the Sundstrand ran all other hydraulic functions.

• Utah Smitty and Oldford have said thanks

#12 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:53 AM

That is a Must have toy.

#13 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 08:03 AM

Is that a rental sticker, maybe get it for scrap price if was run hard put up wet now in the boneyard.  Someone on here has parts for Wisc. engines..?..  Maybe get it running cheap see everything work then sell wisc engine if you install diesel and not have a fortune in it       just my .02

#14 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 08:14 AM

It does look like a pump was mounted on the left side but it also looks like the two pumps that my trencher had are mounted on the right side.Maybe an oil filter on the right side?

I bought a 25+4 for parts and it was a later model than the one I was using and there were significant changes made and many of the parts were different than mine so be careful assuming all 30+4 trencher information is the same.

#15 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Smitty, check your parts prices first before you go too far.  If I was you, I would negotiate up from scrap price and see what happens.

Is that a rental sticker, maybe get it for scrap price if was run hard put up wet now in the boneyard.  Someone on here has parts for Wisc. engines..?..  Maybe get it running cheap see everything work then sell wisc engine if you install diesel and not have a fortune in it       just my .02

I am one of the ones with parts for those Wisconsins.  I also have salvage parts to make 'er cheap. 

Ben W.

• MH81, Utah Smitty and Oldford have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scut, cut, case, articulated