#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:37 PM

Back when we bought our house we only had the attached garage. I built a " L " shape work bench of 6' X 14'. I used a 5 gallon can of Thompsons water seal on it then. It is 3/4" hardtop press board that was originally to be used for cabinets. Its makeup is finer than regular presswood.  It was sanded to thin for this at the factory and was sold off as surplus, that's how I got it. Now, the surface has held up really well so far, but I am planning on moving the 14' section to the new garage. So far I do not have heat in there but that will only be until this winter when I get the heat installed. I am looking for a good clear coating that I can rely on to not let oils and liquids and such penetrate it. Just waondering what you guys use for yours. I don't want to paint it as that doesn't hold up well.   Thanks.                      Roger.

• Alc, gopher and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:48 PM

I have a sheet of thin metal covering the area I use to work on Most of my stuff.

• Alc, hamman, gopher and 1 other said thanks

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:03 PM

MY WORK BENCH WAS COVERED WITH FORMICA IT HAS TAKEN AT LEAST 20 YEARS OF ABUSE TOUGH STUFF

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:20 PM

I have a plywood base with 1/4" masonite on top just screwed down on the edges. I use old blue prints or cardboard as place mats for dirty items. When the masonite gets worn I just replace it.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:44 PM

You could try the two part resin, mix, paint on and dry.

I use steel work benches for heavy dirty stuff, wood for lighter stuff, sealed in heavy duty oil based deck paint.

• Alc, hamman and gopher have said thanks

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have a plywood base with 1/4" masonite on top just screwed down on the edges. I use old blue prints or cardboard as place mats for dirty items. When the masonite gets worn I just replace it.

Mine is similar, I used multi-layers of  5/8" particle board for the base with tempered hard board (Masonite) for the surface.  Hard board lasts for years & is easy to replace when needed!  ~~  Lowell

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:56 PM

I use old counter top. Someone is always remodeling and the stuff is easy to come by and free.  The piece I use now is from our local jail from when they remodeled about a decade ago.   Tough and slick and no gaps for little pieces to fall through.  There is also a small, rounded lip at the front so round objects don't roll off.   I'm too old and stiff to bend and pick up things often.  :(

Counter top material is also [by law] fire resistant for when I'm welding or using the cutting torch.

Edited by Gtractor, March 07, 2014 - 08:01 PM.

• Alc, hamman, gopher and 2 others have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I do the 2 layer thing on my basement bench. The bottom layer is 2" hardwood which I salvaged from an old cut up boardroom table that someone had thrown out. I put a layer of 1/2" mdf on top and screw it down. I seal that with a couple of coats of polyurethane and use it until it's beat up, then replace it. I carefully levelled the base layer so that i have a really flat surface for doing wood working assembly. I mostly use that bench for wood working.  There's lots of ways to make a good sturdy bench. You need to keep an eye open for whatever materials come your way at a good price. 

• hamman, gopher, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:31 PM

I too a have used the Masonite hardboard for countertops in the shop. It is inexpensive to replace, durable and fairly chemical and impact resistant.  I have really not set up a proper shop since we lost the house to a flood and had to move in December of 2010.

So my current workbench is a 2X6 top on a folding table 30" x5 ft with a 6" vice mounted over a 24" square steel plate.

• hamman, gopher and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 09, 2014 - 08:17 PM

I have a sheet of thin metal covering the area I use to work on Most of my stuff.

Where did you buy the sheet of steel for the bench.  I have looked for 2years at hardware stores,farm stores and the big box stores with no luck.  

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 07:42 AM

Where did you buy the sheet of steel for the bench.  I have looked for 2years at hardware stores,farm stores and the big box stores with no luck.  

The home centers down here have smaller panels of sheet steel and bar stock for welding projects. But nothing the size you might want for covering a work bench.  there should be some welding/fab shops in the area that can get you the size you need, if they do not have it on hand.  Transportation is a big part of the expense, so if you can wit till he gets a load from his supplier you can probably save some money.

#12 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:13 AM

yea never thought of the welding shops I will check , cause right now my bench top is 3/4 inch plywood with 3 coats of Helmsman poly on top for protection.

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 09:15 AM

Sorry, I picked them up some where. There is actually two pieces I butted together.  I think I may have gotten them when I was helping clean out a work shop of a friend that passed away a while back.

#14 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:07 PM

I bought a 3x10' steel table off CL a few years ago. It came with a galvenised top for $100. The top had a spot on it where a battery had leaked on it, the guy threw in a stainless steel 4 x 10' sheet metal piece in for free that had the plastic on it still. I put the stainless piece in the back of the shop and still working with the galvanized top.