• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 08:34 PM

All across this northern area it has been a long cold blast for winter.

I'm sure it is hard on everyone in this area both mentally and physically however it will soon pass and it will be springtime soon.

In my little world it's been a struggle to keep the snow cleared, the house warm and everything that needs to be tended to as it was unbearable to be outside the last 4 months.

This is now my water supply, The supply to my house froze 2 days ago !

Water.jpg

Not complaing because I do have water in the house when we drag the hose out and hook it up, It really makes you appreciate the fact that when things thaw out I can simply turn on a faucet or a shower and have the water run.
Wishing all on here a Great evening.
  • Alc, hamman, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

#2 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 129 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 08:36 PM

That sucks.  They are saying the frost line is deeper than it has been in many years.  The water "companys" are very busy.

Skip

• hamman, boyscout862 and Arti have said thanks

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Sorry for your troubles. Its raining and cool in NC....and my daughter sent me a text picture of her down in south America on a beach.....hmmm.....I think she made a better plan of where to be than I did this week.

I like most of us am tired of winter and ready for spring!! Probably more ready than I have ever been!

May your hose not freeze, and your water keep running till warmer weather arrives. :thumbs:  

• hamman, boyscout862 and Arti have said thanks

#4 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 08:58 PM

How far out of Madison are ya? I was there this morning and found that they lack the snow we have. Was cold enough tho.

• hamman and Arti have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:11 PM

I am sick of snow. It was 41 today and I had on a t shirt on. I don't care if it hits 55 on Saturday I am going out in shorts!

I can't wait for the Bahamas in a month
  • Alc, hamman and Arti have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:31 PM

It was -12* here this morning and it was -25* yesterday morning. Got up to 33* today and supposed to start warming up every day this week. Sorry to hear about your water freezing. It sucks to have to run a hose to bring water in. Hope it works well for you.    Stay warm stay safe..            Roger.

• Arti said thank you

#7 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your water line freezing. To everyone who has been in this crazy cold winter, leaving the water drip just a bit will keep it

from freezing.

We have been very busy digging frozen water service lines. Along with all the broken water mains and the snow, it has been the busiest winter in the 25 years I

have been at it. I am so far behind on all my projects. The deepest I have seen the frost line is 49". It is hard digging for the machines and they have been

breaking down frequently! Spring will be here soon for all those who are ready!

Geno

Edited by bgkid2966, March 06, 2014 - 09:35 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862, Arti and 1 other said thanks

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:41 PM

We’re getting our Minnesota Winter Machismo back.

While you’ve been crunching on the snow in your driveway, your local National Weather Service gurus have been crunching numbers. They tell us that so far this winter is the coldest in 30 years, depending on which numbers you measure.

Add up all the highs and lows and you come up with 10.2 degrees. That’s it folks.

The last time it was this cold…

• Ronald Reagan was in the White House
  • Beverly Hills Cop was at your local theater
  • “Where’s the Beef” and “I’ll be back” were the big quotes
  • Prince was busting out hits “When Dove’s Cry and “Let’s Go Crazy”

• MH81, Alc, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Even in VA the frost line is deep in the ground.  No kidding, we rented out an excavator with a rock breaker hammer to break up the ground so a company could dig a trench a week or two ago. 

Ben W.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Arti have said thanks

#10 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:53 PM

Sorry to hear about your water line freezing. To everyone who has been in this crazy cold winter, leaving the water drip just a bit will keep it
from freezing.

We have been very busy digging frozen water service lines. Along with all the broken water mains and the snow, it has been the busiest winter in the 25 years I

have been at it. I am so far behind on all my projects. The deepest I have seen the frost line is 49". It is hard digging for the machines and they have been

breaking down frequently! Spring will be here soon for all those who are ready!

Geno

My line froze a few years back, and the city gave me a trickle line before the meter to run all winter. the frost line has been going down here repeatedly for years.

My water lines are 8 feet down. and they have been freezing regularly around here.

let a tap drip, and insulate exposed piping whenever possible. Also, heat tape for a few feet underground will help too.
  • boyscout862 and Arti have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:20 AM

Thankfully, our stuff is down far enough this year yet. We have been seeing lots of discoloration in the water lately tho. Yesterday, Karen was running a bath for the little one and got something that looked like Iced Tea. They had a fire a block over and had to open hydrants that hadn't been opened in a while, but that was a week ago. It should be all over by now I would think... Anyways, we may be seeing the effects of the pipes heaving with the ground... Hope we don't get a broken line in town, that's a pain for everyone.
  • HDWildBill, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:31 AM

My water lines are 8 feet down. and they have been freezing regularly around here.

WOW !!!!   That's just crazy cold !!  My hats off to people who can live in that very  cold areas , :worshippy1:

• EricR, A.C.T. and Arti have said thanks

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:18 AM

This winter has been tough on everyone, I think.  Texas has gotten snow and ice, the north can't seem to dig out of one storm before another one hit's it really has been crazy.  But Spring will be here shortly.  We have started getting those teaser days where it is warm and the sun is shining then the next day your freezing you tail off.  Hopefully this will all be over soon.

• Arti said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yep we have the ocean to moderate our temperatures here but it's still been much colder than average particularly in ther last 2 weeks. The sun is getting high enough in the sky now to have some heat in it and the promise of spring is in the longer days even if it isn't reflected in the thermometer readings.

• Arti said thank you

#15 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 05:32 PM

How far out of Madison are ya? I was there this morning and found that they lack the snow we have. Was cold enough tho.

80 Miles SouthWest, Fairly close to Dubuque Ia.

We have a lot more snow than Madison does for some reason, Actually running out of places to stack it.
  • hamman said thank you