Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

So what makes the drive trains on older Cub Cadets so desirable?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 11:41 PM

ih cub cadets simply have the one of the best time tested drivetrains in any L&G tractor ever produced. they are directly derived from cub lo-boy, a small farm tractor. i was really impress with the size of the ring gear when i changed the hytran in my 147. it was clear why these were and still are such good tractors. sadly mtd refused to buy the transaxle design from IH when they bought the cub cadet line. mtd sells cub cadet based on the reputation the IH built and they use the history to sell them. its almost like they take credit for IH's work. oh, well. im never going to own an MTD. i will still be running my IH's 40 years from now.

#32 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 05:04 PM

Easy, the fine spline rearend and axels are really tough to bust.I can break a coarse spline axel with my 12 hp pulling tractor fairly easy.

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Rick, welcome to the forum. Cub rearends are the toughest out there, most pullers use them because of this.

#34 RubiconJoey OFFLINE  

RubiconJoey

• Member No: 3818
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Well this is a lesson learned for me. I had always wondered this same question myself and now I know.

#35 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Easy, the fine spline rearend and axels are really tough to bust.I can break a coarse spline axel with my 12 hp pulling tractor fairly easy.

Rick has a valid point here. The tractors that IH produced had a coarse spline rear end in them. When the power is turned up to a certain point they WILL break. I have personally seen it happen more than once. To solve this happening they either take out the ring and pinion and axles and replace them with the fine spline setup that Cub Cadet Corp. started using or some people change them out to a rear from I believe a Valiant. Thses two setups is what makes them virtually bulletproof with HIGH horsepower.

#36 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:02 PM

To solve this happening they either take out the ring and pinion and axles and replace them with the fine spline setup that Cub Cadet Corp. started using or some people change them out to a rear from I believe a Valiant. Thses two setups is what makes them virtually bulletproof with HIGH horsepower.

:beerchug:
Don't forget the aftermarket ring and pinion, replacing the thin front pinion bearing holder, hardened top shaft, and aftermarket shift forks as part of the bulletproof package.:rocker:
  • KennyP and IHCubGuy have said thanks