#1 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 1,767 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 05:11 PM

The air compressor that I have now is fine but it won't run some of the air tools and it certainly won't run a sandblaster. Where can I get an air compressor that has about 8cfm with a good size tank for sandblasting and costs less than $300?

• trowel and Jack have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 05:14 PM

If you can sort thru the fun and games in this thread: http://gardentractor...sting-and-shop/ , you might find some information.
  • trowel said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:08 PM

I find CL to be a good place to look, gas powered wheelbarrow compressors are very handy, portable and once in a while a dual stage one pops up for a nice price, usually the single stage make 15 CFM at 125 PSI like mines and the dual stage at 20 CFM at 125 PSI.

Emglo/Jenny makes for a rather good used compressor for the money, new parts are still around and always have the dependable Honda engine.

$ 300 is tight price range, making enough high compressed air is the most expensive and hardest thing to do out of everything made, electricity is second, to give you an idea, a compressor pump has to be built to diesel engine spec's or it will blow apart or wear out very fast.

Look at the CFM rating on the tools and it will give you a good idea what is needed.

• Tomwendt said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:28 PM

$300 buys Oil-less diaphragm presser MAYBE!  They are Noisy and don't last long, running long times. I am fan of Campbell-Hausefeld myself.  Can usually get one for under $400 on sales. That is 60 gallon tank and about 12cfm output. Has twin cylinder pumps most times. Is NOT 2-stage. 2-stage just means one cylinder pumps up air, other delivers to tank faster to recover faster. They cost more.  Never had a  gas drive. Seems more bother to gas and oil up and with exhaust means an outdoor unit or in a seperate shed.  Mine is upright tank too, saves space. Have it bolted to floor on rubber pads, then have a main pipe running thru garage to hook hoses to. If you run just a long hose (used to do that) it collects water easier, and is always in way to work around. You should buy a 220volt only and it will be 30 amp outlet needed. Should have it's own circuit, run a good 10 gauge wire, short as possible for it. CH brand uses full cast-iron pumps, parts are easy to get from company and many places like auto stores even have the generic parts for them in stock. I have blown check valves, the pipe down to tank can break after awhile cause of the vibration I guess and sometimes shut-off valves go bad. Belts are a constant maintainance to keep tight and good shape. I have my shroud for belt up against the wall side. Wish I hadn't done that. Is real pain to change when needed. I suggest turning unit with belt away from wall, say 90* and it still allows access to both sides for parts and repairs. Have to remember to drain each nite after use, they really collect water. I put a ball valve with long handle on mine to make opening fast and easy. I just let it blow accross floor and drain as I shut down other stuff or pick-up in shop. Make sure you shut it off before all that. I once had mine blow a line while still on and not in shop. Ran all night. Next day heard it running and went out to find the blown line and was real hot!  Never damaged it that I know, but sure makes me remember to shut off when going in to house now. Sometimes you need to leave a BIG note on door to shut off and drain it as you are leaving.  AND, shutting off the torch tanks too, they leak down also and you loose your tank gas overnight!  Discipline is needed, Ha!

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:40 PM

Sandblaster will be the air hog and if it doesn't get enough CFM you won't be happy w/ it. CFM thru a blaster = velocity and that's what makes it work good. I have a small (one qt) HF blaster that works OK w/ my old Craftsman 3 1/2HP, but I have a larger one that will keep a 4 cyl single stage Jenny rated @ 15 CFM busy. Unless you find a bargain on craigslist, etc I don't think $300 is going to get what you're seeking.
I'm keeping my eyes open for a Jenny like I borrowed from my BIL. Darned good machine. One selectable feature it had I really liked for blasting was the ability to keep the motor running and the pump would cycle, keeping the motor cooler w/o all the starts and stops.
Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, March 06, 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:54 PM

That's goimg to be hard at that price. I would look on CL, a lot of tools on there daily you just have to watch. I have a 60 gallon 4HP 220 volt upright & it works great. I'm a carpenter & I have several AC for my work but none have the volume to sand blast with, these would run constantly. 

• trowel said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:59 PM

That's goimg to be hard at that price. I would look on CL, a lot of tools on there daily you just have to watch. I have a 60 gallon 4HP 220 volt upright & it works great. I'm a carpenter & I have several AC for my work but none have the volume to sand blast with, these would run constantly. 

Do you use Rol Air ? if so, can you attest to it's quality and longivity ?

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Forgot to mention that Tractor Supply or TSC  sells those Campbell Hausfeld's.  Think Farm and Fleets too. Not sure what stores you have in area. I think a good Farm store would be better choice for new one. Sears used to be made by them too, but most of them are the Oil-less now. Might check their tool catalogs online to see what they have now days.

#9 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 07:23 PM

I think your best bet to find the compressor you want for that kind of money is at an auction.. I have seen them go pretty cheap at times.  Just have to get lucky and find one that few people are interested in that day.  You know you can search all auctions in your area with   http://www.auctionzip.com/   good luck

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Craigslist and auctions are a little hit n miss. Here is one that is close to what you're asking, dunno about ratings or reliability tho.

http://columbus.crai...4361480636.html

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Do you use Rol Air ? if so, can you attest to it's quality and longivity ?

No on the Rol Air I could never justify the cost of their compressors. I started back in the early eighties using a double tank wheel barrow Campbell Hausfield contractors model when I did exterior trim. Over the years since then I do mostly interior trim, custom cabinets & remodeling using only a Senco, Emglo, & an old CH pancake. Those are at least twenty years old & the CH older than that. I have always bled my AC & leave the drain valves open until next time. I have seen some nice AC useless because of rusted tanks. I even seen a few patch welded ones on the job  :(

• trowel said thank you

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 08:39 AM

I did for a moment think of the Emglo Airmate double tank carry but figured it was like the very cheap DeWalt counterpart.

The Emglo airmate pops up every now and then and i am compelled to ask you if you have had good luck with those.

Yes, open the petcock and leave open, seen a few patch welds/JB welds myself on compressors and chuckled.

#13 Kfs35 ONLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:01 PM

I watched Craigslist for quite a while to find mine.  I got a 2 stage Ingersoll Rand, I think it makes about 15cfm at 175psi.  It's more air than I'll ever need (probably).  It runs my blast cabinet with no problem. 

It was more than your budget, but I got it for $500.  To get deals, you need to be patient or lucky.  I'm definitely not lucky.