26 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:00 AM

One thing I never mentioned with Silica Sand. Every bag I ever opened had a caution on it that read something like this" Beware use of this product can cause Silicosis". As I understand it it is something like the Black Lung that Coal miners get. The Fine dust gets in your lungs and you can never get it out. But then I was young and thought I was 10 ft tall and bulletproof, now I know better. :D

• trowel and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 02:16 PM

I quite using silica sand a few years back because of the health hazards. It worked great on thick scale vs the black beauty which is what I use now. For a while my buddy was able to get used up casting sand from a foundry close by. That stuff could be used over and over but it wasn't fun sifting the big chunks out of it.
  • trowel said thank you

#18 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 02:31 PM

I never used black beauty. its most prob'ly illegal here in Canada. Sandblast media laws are stiff here. Before they outlawed it we used silica based sand , the best all around stuff in my opinion. Now silica is banned and most shops use glass beads. It can be recycled but dont last as long as silica its also softer on soft materials like aluminium cast and such. My opinion 

#19 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 04:39 PM

One thing I never mentioned with Silica Sand. Every bag I ever opened had a caution on it that read something like this" Beware use of this product can cause Silicosis". As I understand it it is something like the Black Lung that Coal miners get. The Fine dust gets in your lungs and you can never get it out. But then I was young and thought I was 10 ft tall and bulletproof, now I know better. :D

Oh Lord yes ,stay away from silica sand.A friend of mine was a cement mason and got some kind of lung caner from years of working with the stuff.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#20 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:56 PM

How is Glass-bead diff than Silica sand?  Glass is made from Sand right?  Not seeing why that would be safer IF it is same base product?? Don't see why just ANY of the blasting dusts would be safe. Dust is Dust!  A mask is good idea, and mostly the vacumm unit to pull it out of cabinet.  Most places that used to blast outdoors have quit because of Standards that have to be be met for commercial uses. Even the company's that do bridges and big items are changing their ways and methods now. I get my big stuff done by local farmer/shop owner, but only does when he has enough to work on, so not so often. A commercial place I go to sometimes uses big overs to at first burn off the paints and crap from parts, only gives a quick final blast then on bigger stuff. Comes out real clean, no missed spots. Not sure if Heat is bad for metal tho?? I haven't had any issues with warping of parts or anything, just isn't cheap!

• Alc, trowel and hatedge have said thanks

#21 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 08:13 PM

How is Glass-bead diff than Silica sand?  

Glas is not silica, its glass. I know glass is made from silica but its changed therefore not silica anymore and its stable. If silica is still legal in your parts then you should use it. It is dangerous for silicosis but only if you breathe it in and use it all day everyday. A cabinet by definition is pretty much a closed environment and you shouldnt worry too much. a simple epa filter mask is enough for you. If blasting in a tent or outside you should wear fullface and if for extended periods an entire suit with air source

• Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#22 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 08:54 PM

From what I have been able to find is that silca is used to make glass,but the manafacting process of glass beads coverts the silca into some thing like 1% silca.
But your right Grumpy,I don't think any dust is healthy to breath.I use a long hose and put my shop vac outside.
  • Alc said thank you

#23 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Glas is not silica, its glass. I know glass is made from silica but its changed therefore not silica anymore and its stable. If silica is still legal in your parts then you should use it. It is dangerous for silicosis but only if you breathe it in and use it all day everyday. A cabinet by definition is pretty much a closed environment and you shouldnt worry too much. a simple epa filter mask is enough for you. If blasting in a tent or outside you should wear fullface and if for extended periods an entire suit with air source

Dang it Hatedge your fast typing beat me ----Two finger typing Bill
  • Alc and hatedge have said thanks

#24 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Eh eh eh, faster than thou :shoot2:

#25 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 05:24 PM

I use to use silica sand and switched to the Black slag from Menards a couple of years ago and have been very satisfide with the results.

As to a cabinet, I posted this on another sandblasting thread a little while ago and may as well post it here also : ............

About 30 years ago, I built my own blasting cabinet using an old fuel oil tank.

I originally built it with a front panel that opened up to place the parts in.

That got to be a pain in the back lifting the parts thru that opening so I cut an opening into the side and it works really great now.

The rubber gloves with the long sleeves were from an industral supply.

There is a 75W light bulb just above the sight glass and a fan on the top to pull the dust out and keep the inside clear.

Air is drawn in thru holes in the bottom of the door on the side.

There is also an air tube mounted in the front next to the sight glass so air is drawn in to help keep the sight glass clear.

This is made from sink drain pipe.

The sight glass slips into a groove at the top and is held in place with a metal bracket on the bottom so the glass can be easily replaced.

Old metal refrigator grille shelves are used for the rack to set the parts on.

This rack has a sheet of expanded aluminum mesh laid on top of it so smaller parts do not fall thru the rack.

DCP_0001_1.jpg

DCP_0004.jpg

Edited by jdcrawler, March 11, 2014 - 05:26 PM.

• hatedge, superspeedex and petrj6 have said thanks

#26 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:04 PM

jdcrawler, I love that blast cabinet.  great to see you re-use scrap for a good purpose.  Looks like an excellent fab job as well.  LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!

Edited by petrj6, March 11, 2014 - 06:04 PM.

• jdcrawler said thank you

#27 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:44 PM

Awesome build there mate! Wish I had the space to try and copy your cabinet

• jdcrawler said thank you