#1 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Oh, this is a good month!   Can't wait to see some entries! 

• gtcsreg said thank you

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 09:11 PM

I never get pics,  wish I had some before I did my daughters pedal tractor that would make her day to see it featured.

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Those little Bantam's are cute as he///////.

• cglisson01 said thank you

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:26 AM

:smiley-score002:  ? :watch_over_fence:  ?? ...  :poke:

#5 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 09:48 AM

There's got to be more than two "before and after" stories! Anyone else want to share one?

#6 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 04:37 PM

The two that have been submitted so far are both good restorations.

Edited by jdcrawler, March 11, 2014 - 04:55 PM.

• hamman, cglisson01 and Gabriel have said thanks

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:41 AM

The two that have been submitted so far are both good restorations.

They are!

#8 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:01 PM

I would like to nominate my 1967 Cub Cadet 123 The first hydro that Cub Cadet made . This tractor rolled off the assembly line in Louisville the week after Labor Day 1967 3 months to the week before I was born. It was sold new at a IH dealership in Cashton Wisconsin that fall 5 years later was brought back to the dealership in pieces, the owner evidently blew up the hydro trans. How he did this we will never know. I bought parts at this dealership for years. One day in the winter of 2003 got the 25 cent tour and got to see the warehouse. Sitting on a pallet way up high was this skeleton of a parts tractor. I crawled up to find a cub cadet 123 in pieces it was 99% there from what I could see. Then I got brave and asked questions about it and if it was for sale . The parts man asked the boss and we agreed on a price and I brought the carcass home. I felt like a hunter who just bagged the 30 point buck. Little did I realize how much work was ahead of me.

I showed my wife , she rolled her eyes and smiled. She said I hope your happy. So now that the green light was passed I started locating the few missing parts. Then came the blasting ,priming and painting. It took my 1 and 1/2 years from start to finish. and I lost track of the hours, but so very rewarding. In the middle of the project I had my doubts if I was ever going to get it finished. But in the end it all turned out ok.

Looking back on the project, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. it was fun and my eldest daughter and I had some great daddy daughter time. Thanks Rob

I

Nice CC Rob! Did you have to do anything to the trans. when you got it?

#9 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Gabriel
the actual hydro on the tractor was still attached to the rear end when I brought it home. It was ventilated well hole the size of a golf ball. I found a donor 123 hydro from a buddy of mine and installed that one. now it works like a champ.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#10 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:08 PM

The only other major undertaking was overhauling the motor .  it now it .10 oversized with new piston ,rings and a valve job too. 

• Gabriel said thank you

#11 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Gabriel
the actual hydro on the tractor was still attached to the rear end when I brought it home. It was ventilated well hole the size of a golf ball. I found a donor 123 hydro from a buddy of mine and installed that one. now it works like a champ.

The only other major undertaking was overhauling the motor .  it now it .10 oversized with new piston ,rings and a valve job too.

Wow, the size of a golf ball! How could someone do that to it!?

What kind of engine is in it?

Edited by Gabriel, March 12, 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#12 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:50 PM

Gabriel

In my 15 plus years of collecting and restoring cub cadets I have never seen a hydro that blew up like this one.  The dealer said he thinks the owner attempted to service the trans but forgot to add enough oil.  Or no oil at all. 

The original 12hp.  K 301 A Kohler is still in it.  

Edited by rdehli, March 12, 2014 - 09:51 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#13 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 13, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Great job on the restore.  Thanks for sharing the story and pics

• bowtiebutler956 and Gabriel have said thanks

#14 nade-em OFFLINE  

nade-em
  • Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 06:39 PM

I would like to nominate my Case 222. This is a very special GT to me, as it was given to me by a close friend a couple days before he died. My friends name was Gary, and he had been battling with cancer of the spine for awhile. I went and spent a couple days in the hospital with him near the end, and during that time he said he wanted me to have his Case. He had always meant to fix it up, but never got around to it. He said he knew I'd make it look like new, so that is what I set out to do. 

The GT was still solid, but tired. The Kohler K301 was running alright, but I decided to open it up to check everything out, and I'm glad I did, as it had a wrist pin clip that had come out of the piston, and was wearing a groove in the cylinder. It required boring .020 to clean the cylinder up. The carburetor throttle shaft was also very wore out, so I installed a bushing in it. The engine runs great now.

The mower deck was the worst part of the GT, as everything was wore out on it. The aluminum spindle housing were so corroded that I couldn't rebuild them, and the deck was missing a baffle underneath. The discharge shoot was missing as well. I found a set of good used cast iron spindle housing to rebuild, and I made a new baffle for the underside of the deck, and welded it in. I tried locating a used discharge soot for it, but this is the somewhat uncommon center discharge deck, so I didn't find one. I ended up fabricating one. It turned out decent. 

I really enjoyed this project as I spent alot of time remembering all the good times Gary, and I had over our 20 or so years of friendship. When it was finished, I had some decals made for it, that serve as a memorial to Gary. On the front, and rear of the tractor, it reads (Gary's Case).  Thanks

Matt

Very nice memorial tribute! Your friend would be proud :beerchug:

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: featured, tractor, nominations