#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 07:36 AM

Last two weeks notifications at top of page have been coming in on really old postings. Are members just bored and looking over really old listings or something?  They can be two years old and now people just noting them?? OR....is there some way they never came to me before and are now coming Out??  Ha, Coming Out!  I rarely ever go back to real old postings. I read daily the new stuff on side of the page and not too often go back after a day or two. Just seemed odd to me.

• MH81, hamman, chris m and 3 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Sometimes it's guys like me who get so far behind that they see something and want to comment, sometimes it's new members who have just found the thread, and sometimes it's guys just surfin around.
  • hamman, chris m, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 09:15 AM

If I'm interested in a theme or have a question, notice aso, and a thread already exists, why shall I open a new one? Answers can be found easier, when a theme isn't fragmented in many threads.

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 09:15 AM

GTTalk is a great archive of resolved issues.  I regularly search old postings looking for a solution to a problem I am having.  If it is helpful, I thank the poster.

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 09:48 AM

I guess I am a guilty person here.......I sometimes go back to the old posts and if I am interested and appreiative of the post I hit like. Sometimes I have a lot of time (OK all the time) on my habds and I really like surfing this forum for interesting things. Sorry can't help it.      Thanks.      Roger.

• MH81, chris m, A.C.T. and 3 others have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:01 AM

Even though the post may be old the info is probably still relevant today since we deal with old iron.  I commend those who search for an answer before they post a new thread, since it does save disc space and keeps the topic together like Wolfgang mentioned.

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm guilty as well since I have lately aquired two new to me GT's. I do my best to research previous posts that will help me before I ask questions. Grumpy since your one of the MTD 990 guys I have been liking your info many times & it has like many others on here been very helpful. To me a "like" is my appreciation & respect for your knowledge & wisdom. Since I have a MTD 990 that needs much help & I have only went back three years on the MTD section so I will probably be liking a lot more.  :D

Edited by Sawdust, March 05, 2014 - 10:35 AM.

• MH81, hamman, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#8 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:41 AM

The information on this website is why I became a member. I look at threads old and new for information and ideas that help or are interesting, and if it helps me or gives me a good idea I say thanks, not to be odd but being respectful. I wish I would have found this Site years ago, it has been a BIG help. I think the younger guys here would agree. Thanks
  • hamman, chris m, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Sometimes that's where the post fits.  I am very near to buying a Welder(possibly this weekend if I can find the one I want in Des Moines) and have been going through the archives to find out what is working for others and will fit my situation.

There is a thread that was started Jan. 3, 2012  Titled " Show Your Welding Outfit" and I notice there have been a couple posts in the past week. I have found it very helpful in my quest.

Once I get the welder set up and get a welding table built. I will very likely post pictures there myself.  Because that is where it would fit best.

Bumping a thread can bring things to mind we have forgotten yet can use.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 05, 2014 - 11:23 AM.

• MH81, hamman, chris m and 2 others have said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Bumping a thread can bring things to mind we have forgotten yet can use.

Or for the newer guys who never knew those posts existed. I saw alan's ST16 thread for the first time since it recently got bumped

The ones that make me shake my head though ( don't see it much on here) are the ones getting bumped about something that was for sale and states it was sold, like  3-4 yrs ago... "is this still for sale?"

• hamman, HDWildBill, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 05:31 PM

OK, Thanks for the "Thanks" guys!   I've never used the Search feature much to find things, might have to try that. I have gone back a few pages to see old things,but guess I'm not one to "Like" the stuff as I see it. Maybe I gotta learn to do that more.  I see plenty I think was good info, just never acknowledged before. Heck, I just found out what that list was about at top of page that was always lighting up!  I'm a little behind on this puter stuff for sure!

• hamman, KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hang in there GL! We'll get you trained yet!

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:30 PM

OK, Thanks for the "Thanks" guys!   I've never used the Search feature much to find things, might have to try that. I have gone back a few pages to see old things,but guess I'm not one to "Like" the stuff as I see it. Maybe I gotta learn to do that more.  I see plenty I think was good info, just never acknowledged before. Heck, I just found out what that list was about at top of page that was always lighting up!  I'm a little behind on this puter stuff for sure!

No sweat Gl it will come in time.  28 yrs ago I was displaced from a factory and had to change careers. At that time there were so many out of work I was considered over qualified or under qualified for every job I applied for. Finally took a sales job in a call center.

They put me to work at a  dumb terminal with a green screen. It had me so stressed my nightmares were staring at a green screen. 

If a guy just keeps plugging away things  become easy. After 28 yrs I get along but compared to the kids half my age who grew up with computers I still do not know much?  When I was in High school the only computer in the state was at Iowa State and took up 3 buildings an had a fraction of the power this lap top has.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 05, 2014 - 10:33 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 11:27 AM

GL, like JD Dannels about 30 years ago I was introduced to computers while I was in the Navy.  When they gave me that computer I literally did not know how to turn the computer on.  I looked all over the the on.off switch, turns out it was in the back of the computer. I was terrified of having to use the thing and I would write my girl friend (Now my wife) How I dread getting this computer and that was not for me.  We laugh now because those letters quickly turned into telling her how much fun I was having playing with the computer and writing programs.  When I came back off that cruise I went out and bought one and then started taking adult education classes with the local school system.  Since then I had a second career working in IT departments as a programmer and computers are just second nature to me. 

You can look at learning computer like learning to weld.  It really just takes practice and once you have the basics down then you add a little bit more knowledge.  I was very apprehensive to start welding because it just seemed like a lot to me.  Then a friend stuck a welding nozzle in my hand and said go for it.  He showed me some techniques and said practice.  Next think you know you are welding angles and using different types of welding.  The big thing is you just have to get over your fear you are going to screw something up. I would say 90 - 95% of the screw ups can be fixed relatively easy.  So just keep on practising, before you know it some one will be asking you "How did you do that?" :thumbs:

• WHdbJD said thank you

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 09:55 AM

I get bored I'll and read something interesting that was posted a year ago and click out a thanks.

I couldn't agree more Bill. 

Any skill can be learned if you let go of your fear of it.

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 08, 2014 - 09:57 AM.