• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 10:51 AM

Had a brain wave.....I know, dont hurt yourself......lol.....I have a snow blade on my LGT Ford.....I was thinking that it would be nice to have a blower on the back for when I need to blow snow into the bush...It would be driven off my tiller PTO.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know I am going to have to fab this, so was wondering if anyone knew of what type of blower I might use?....I am looking in the ads, This ad says its a Ford LGT blower, but I cant see how it can be driven by an LGT, not the way the engine and pulleys are set up...Any comments on this?

Posted Image

#2 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hey Poncho if your going to use that blower then you'll need to use a angle gear box as well.What you can do is look for a two stage/dual stage blower.You might beable to just hook your pto shaft straight into the center shaft of the snowblower.Its all going to depend on the RPM that your pto shaft is turning.What you want is to have the shaft that goes into the blower turning as close as you can get to 1000 rpms.The other thing is a dual stage blower is less likely to plug.I had used a massey single stage blower one time on the back of a Simplicity GT and just had to make a frame to hook it to the back like what the tiller mounted.The belt was a easy hook up as it was driven off the same place that the tiller was and the pulley was even in the right spot on the blower.It worked pretty good however that was 30 yrs ago and my neck didn't bother me like it does now.Didn't have a cab either and blowing snow in -20 didn't seem to bother me either.Larry
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 12:57 PM

Thanks Larry...I was just using that picture as an example.......I know it would be a pain to use it. ....I will likely comb the garage sales in the spring looking for something that will work. Its just an idea right now,,,,My PTO turns the same speed as the engine...will have to consider that as well as what direction everything needs to turn.......lots to think about. I have a blower on my Massey 10 now, single stage....it does a decent job for what I am doing, but just the thought of having all in one unit is cool too.

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 07:36 AM

Old thread allert........Finally getting back to this...Picked up a Ford 2 stage blower, 42" wide....heavy as heck.......

Posted Image

Have a few chalenges with this.......Building a frame to mount it on the rear of my LGT......reversing the PTO, so it goes the right way......building a lift mechanism......

Ideas gladly accepted

Posted Image

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 03:23 AM

Your going to need hydraulics to lift that unit! You could easily get that reversed, you just need to get the pto slowed down.
That blower was driven from a gearbox to a driveshaft ,then to the chains and spokets,.
Put a jackshaft under the tractor, like the mower deck is mounted, and the run a belt back to the right angle drive that originally drove the blower, then it should all be turning the correct direction.
  • MH81, Toolpartzman and Doug G have said thanks

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 04:56 AM

Good idea....would make for a longggggg belt

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 05:25 AM

Not with a jackshaft, you would have 2 normal belts lol. I made up a subframe to run my Bolens tiller this way ;)

#8 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 03:33 PM

OK...I see, much like the rear PTO that I have on my tractors now, with the long shaft, just under the tractor instead of down the side?

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Take a close look ay the first few posts of this thread , it will show you the jackshaft/subframe.
http://gardentractor...hitch-by-keith/

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 04:11 AM

Poncho, is 10hp going to be enough to run that 42" blower? You will need to go slow in heavy snow.

#11 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 04:55 AM

OK...I see, much like the rear PTO that I have on my tractors now, with the long shaft, just under the tractor instead of down the side?

Thing is, if I do it that way, I will need another 90 degree box..The drive for the blower goes in sideways...I already have a PTO shaft down the side of the tractor which should do the same thing, just a matter of reversing the rotation

You are right about the weight....it weighs a ton and I dont have hydraulic lift......I could add it to the LGT125 if I could find the parts.

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:33 AM

Keep reading, if you look close you will see a rear pto shaft coming off a right angle box, and it is counter rotating , I drive my Bolens tiller off that shaft, you could do the same for the snowblower, just angle the gearbox so the joints are straighter.
That gearbox is mounted to the hitch plate with a few spacer plates to get the hieght correct.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Glad you got the right Blower.

Just a question. Since you're going to be adding a hydraulic lift, would it make sense to do a hydraulic drive for the blower. Wouldn't have to worry about CCW/CW that way and you'd be working with no gearbox, right angle, belts, etc.

I know there are some guys here would throw in their 2 cents design wise.

#14 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 06:22 AM

Only issue with that is he has to add a pump, as the one on the hydro only flows a max of 1.5 gpm fine for a lift but not a motor :(
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Thanks, somehow I was thinking this was a gear drive unit and he'd have to install a pump anyways.