#1 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52007
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi Guys

What can I use to fill the gap between the scraper bar and the blower. The gap collects water and rusts. Epoxy putty,JB weld,all metal,etc?? Thanks much!! I spent 1/2 hour trying to get the pictures right side up ,I was not successful. Sorry

Mike
Genoa,IL

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• hamman and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 09:39 PM

I have the same problem on my Jacobsen. I looked at it and decided that I was going to leave it alone. If i were to put something on it it would more than likely get scrapped away. If I were to use anything I might use a length of innertube along the edge full length. That looked like it would work the best. Mine has to be repaired this summer. It has worn out the edge in the middle and has worn out the bottom of the blower housing back about 2" and for about 6" long.   I think I will adress it then.    Good luck.     Roger.    

• Mike125s said thank you

#3 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 09:48 PM

I would like to fill it with something that could take vibration.  Metal filled epoxy perhaps??  Thanks

Mike

• hamman said thank you

#4 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 07:09 AM

POR 15 MAY WORK FOR YOU IT IS KNEADED INTO A PUTTY DRYS LIKE STEEL

#5 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 08:41 AM

POR 15 MAY WORK FOR YOU IT IS KNEADED INTO A PUTTY DRYS LIKE STEEL

Thanks Hank

I your opinion could it take the vibration?

Mike

#6 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 12:46 PM

Mike125, Do you have a welder? The repair on that blower would probably be best done by welding it up. Imho. I would think the metal filler would work, but the rust is just gonna eat around that stuff.

Take a grinder, and grind out all the rust you can down to bare metal. If it blows through, no biggie. Just run tack welds all the way across like this  ..........................   Knock off any slag. Then put tack welds in between the first set of tacks. Knock off any slag, and grind down smooth. Then lay down a nice bead on top of the repair, and repeat as needed. Grind down flat, paint, prime, and BOOM your done!!! Good luck on your en devour.

#7 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:25 AM

Mike125, Do you have a welder? The repair on that blower would probably be best done by welding it up. Imho. I would think the metal filler would work, but the rust is just gonna eat around that stuff.
 Take a grinder, and grind out all the rust you can down to bare metal. If it blows through, no biggie. Just run tack welds all the way across like this  ..........................   Knock off any slag. Then put tack welds in between the first set of tacks. Knock off any slag, and grind down smooth. Then lay down a nice bead on top of the repair, and repeat as needed. Grind down flat, paint, prime, and BOOM your done!!! Good luck on your en devour.

Thanks Stiemmy

I could do that . I have a cheap Clark 95 welder. It is capable of welding thin steel. I am not sure if my skill level is up to the task. I guess I have a lot of time. I could take my time. I will ponder it . thanks much!!!!!

Mike
  • stiemmy said thank you

#8 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Mike, time is the key! Don't rush, as it won't be a 15 minute job. The more time you take, the better the outcome. :thumbs: If you make a mistake, or your welds do not look good, you can always grind it out, and retry. Pay attention to what the welder is doing while you are using it. Some people like to practice on a separate piece/part to tune in the welder. Myself, I tune it in on the work to be done. Again, if it's not right I grind it down, and start over. Good luck bud, you can do it!!!

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,304 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:33 PM

If that wear bar is a replaceable item, I would hesitate to weld as its permanant. If the bar is worn, might be a good time to replace the bar and then weld if you need to

#10 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 12:15 AM

If that wear bar is a replaceable item, I would hesitate to weld as its permanant. If the bar is worn, might be a good time to replace the bar and then weld if you need to

The wear bar is off right now. The center foot or so is worn. I will probably try and weld that. Thanks much

Mike
Genoa,il

#11 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 03:08 PM

Update

Welded closed the gap above wear bar that collects water.  Welded patches over rust holes.  Used 16G steel because that was all that was available .(much thicker than blower steel around auger) Ground welds between passes.  JB weld to seal weld joints against water,and to smooth deep dent near the chute. Once again photos turned upside down,very sorry..

Mike

Genoa,IL 

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (3).JPG
  • photo (4).JPG

• stiemmy said thank you

#12 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Update

Welded closed the gap above wear bar that collects water.  Welded patches over rust holes.  Used 16G steel because that was all that was available .(much thicker than blower steel around auger) Ground welds between passes.  JB weld to seal weld joints against water,and to smooth deep dent near the chute. Once again photos turned upside down,very sorry..

Mike
Genoa,IL

Looks real good!!! Thanks for the update.

#13 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Update painted.  Welded about 5 in. of 1/4 steel rod to the scraper  bar too.  Pulleys and sprocket tension need to be adjusted still ,but I did run it attached to the tractor and it turned!

Mike

Genoa,IL

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (6).JPG
  • photo (7).JPG
  • photo (8).JPG

#14 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hey, that looks really good!!! Super job!