• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dff110 OFFLINE  

dff110
  • Member No: 54070
  • 12 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well first off Hi, I'm new to the forum and the world of garden tractors.  I come from the chainsaw world, I have more chainsaws in my garage than I can count.  It is an addiction of mine, and I think garden tractors might be next.

Just an example of some of my latest work:

David Bradley Geardrive Chainsaw Start
David Bradley Geardrive Chainsaw Restored

I found this Chief online for $100 in non running condition.
10 HP Chief
10 HP Jacobsen Chief

Came with the Ford snow plow, wheel weights that belong on the front tires of a Farmall Cub, and a set of tire chains.  Put in a new sparkplug with the propper gap, a new battery, and a new muffler.  Runs and drives nice, just need some more snow to try it out.

I have done a lot of research on here already, and found the plans for the battery blocks, and battery box cover.  At some point I would love to do a total restoration on it.  I know it has a Kohler K241 10 horsepower that seems to be in decent shape.  I found all of the parts breakdowns and service manuals, but I don't know which model I have.  Here is a picture of the Name plate:

Name Plate
Any help and information you can give me would be awesome.

Thanks

Dustin

• Dieselcubmike, Oldford and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Welcome, Dustin.  Looks like you sure do know what you are doing in the restoration world.  Some Ford/Jac guys will be along to help you with the tractor.

Do you have any Clinton chainsaws? 

I've got what's left of an old Mall with the bar that rotates to cut horizontal or vertical, I picked it up at an auction and still haven't decided what I will do with it. 

Ben W.

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 08:31 PM

David Bradley saws are cool, I had one!!

Anyway, welcome to the Jake forum!!

Nice looking Jacobsen. If it is a manual trans, its a Chief, if its a hydro, its a super chief. Either way it was a SUPER good buy. Ida bought it! Enjoy!! Stiemmy.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 08:37 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. Is that # on the tag a 53077? If so, I don't have it listed. From the serial #, I would say it's a 1968.

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Welcome to the site Dustin!
You got a great deal on that Jake!
Those wheel weights look to be from the 12" rears of a Cub Cadet.
They were used on lots of other garden tractors too.
Those alone usually sell for $100 around here!

Joe

#6 dff110 OFFLINE  

dff110
  • 12 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Welcome, Dustin.  Looks like you sure do know what you are doing in the restoration world.  Some Ford/Jac guys will be along to help you with the tractor.

Do you have any Clinton chainsaws? 

I've got what's left of an old Mall with the bar that rotates to cut horizontal or vertical, I picked it up at an auction and still haven't decided what I will do with it. 

Ben W.

Nope, Clinton chainsaws are fairly rare in my area.  Mall was bought out by Remington Chainsaws, and I have more Remingtons than anything.  The Largest saw I have is a Disston 2 man saw with a 11hp Mercury two cylnder two stroke on it.  I haven't gotten around to working on it yet, so for now it's just a conversation piece.

:wave: Welcome to the forum. Is that # on the tag a 53077? If so, I don't have it listed. From the serial #, I would say it's a 1968.

The tag says: 53077 5130.  After I made my first post, I saw the sticky for converting serial numbers.  That says it is a 1970.  Is this the same thing as a Chief 1000?  I haven't seen any that don't have a "model" number.

• KennyP and superaben have said thanks

#7 dff110 OFFLINE  

dff110
  • 12 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Welcome to the site Dustin!
You got a great deal on that Jake!
Those wheel weights look to be from the 12" rears of a Cub Cadet.
They were used on lots of other garden tractors too.
Those alone usually sell for $100 around here!

Joe

The Wheel weights have a small IH cast into them.  I was told they were front wheel weights for a Farmall Cub, but I'm sure could be for a Cub Cadet as well.  For a $100 I couldn't pass up on it, I knew I could get my money back in parts.

Speaking on that, tomorrow I'm going to look at another group of Chiefs.  1 Chief 1200 in working order with cast aluminum deck and snowblower, 1 Super Chief 1200 with aluminum deck in good shape that "should run" and a bunch of parts including a third deck, a frame, and a bunch of other parts. 

I'm knew to this, and don't want to jump in head first with out knowing what the market is to resell some of that stuff if I bought the lot.  It is also go for a steal of a price.

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 09:18 PM

I'd love to see that Disston in real life... from a Google search it looks like quite the machine.  It ought to get some attention when it runs.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#9 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 10:07 PM

WELCOME!

#10 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 10:14 PM

International harvester was the father company of cab cadet.
So, IH showed up on a lot of what they made.
Later, they became Cub cadet. Then MTD bought them.
I think the front wheel on a Farmall cub are 16"
Nothing from a Farmall cub fits a Jacobsen!

Joe

#11 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:33 AM

Hello and welcome :wave:

#12 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 04:16 AM

The Wheel weights have a small IH cast into them.  I was told they were front wheel weights for a Farmall Cub, but I'm sure could be for a Cub Cadet as well.  For a $100 I couldn't pass up on it, I knew I could get my money back in parts.

Speaking on that, tomorrow I'm going to look at another group of Chiefs.  1 Chief 1200 in working order with cast aluminum deck and snowblower, 1 Super Chief 1200 with aluminum deck in good shape that "should run" and a bunch of parts including a third deck, a frame, and a bunch of other parts. 

I'm knew to this, and don't want to jump in head first with out knowing what the market is to resell some of that stuff if I bought the lot.  It is also go for a steal of a price.

That's a nice plow you have there hole in hood electric pto 69-up.  Cast weights 100-up if fit in flat box Glass lights 50-up ebay fees/shipping getting steep 20%+    Other small parts low demand these tractors part out cheap on ebay.  Most stuff too big to ship cheap so local market.  Alu decks 100-up if complete not cracked bad, running tractors decent shape 200-up may have to wait local sale.  Snowblowers hit or miss old bearings hard to find.  If working sell ok if not sell cheap Jake/Ford not high$$$collectible like some other brands

Lately Jake prices on ebay are up depends on location some buyers willing to travel for shiny paint  http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cdaf86177  http://www.ebay.com/...=item2eccd40186

Just my opinion old Jakes/Fords strong work tractors cheap easy to buy/run/fix would rather use than sell these tractors good bargain for poor people won't make you rich will get the job done but you need mechanic skills getting old parts tractor good idea

• MH81, Rock farmer and dff110 have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 07:44 AM

:welcome: to the forum
Yep, it's an addiction.
I think you will find that like most of us, you tell yourself you're going to flip some, but you find yourself keeping many of those .

Nice new ride, good luck on the next one and we'd love to see some saw pics if you get the time.

#14 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:03 AM

It's a 1970 but hood decals are older.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:15 AM

Looks like I need to update the chart I made up using that decoder link.