Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jd 316 W/ 18Hp Kohler. Priced To Sell. - $550 (Southern Indiana)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 446 Thanks
  • 427 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 07:51 PM

http://terrehaute.cr...4351288213.html

~~~~~~~ PRICED TO SELL !!! First $550.00 takes home. Firm!!!~~~~~~~ I believe 1980's model John Deere 316 garden tractor with Kohler 18hp engine. Runs great!!! All lights work (both head lamps and tail lamps). Has front hydraulics and 1000 rpm live pto. Tires are good. Missing grill, but are cheap on ebay. Small tears in seat. Looses prime after long periods, haven't had time to find. No trades, Cash only!!! No spam!!! Call or text eight one two eight eight 7-5547 For sale is TRACTOR ONLY in pics.  

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:24 AM

No spam...?? Like spammers will ask his permission!  Looks like a solid tractor but you'd have to look behind the paint to see what the overall condition is. The front end is always a good fast indicator of condition. For starters I bring a small floor jack and lift the front end then check the spindles/bearings, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, axle pivot, etc for wear. If all this stuff is worn out it means a lot of hours and/or poor maintenace and when you add up the cost of fixing all that stuff it can be pretty expensive. Motor mounts, drive shaft etc are all expensive wear items as well.

#3 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 446 Thanks
  • 427 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 04:53 PM

It has been listed more than once.  Maybe it is not what it appears shape wise.

#4 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:34 AM

No spam...?? Like spammers will ask his permission!  Looks like a solid tractor but you'd have to look behind the paint to see what the overall condition is. The front end is always a good fast indicator of condition. For starters I bring a small floor jack and lift the front end then check the spindles/bearings, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, axle pivot, etc for wear. If all this stuff is worn out it means a lot of hours and/or poor maintenace and when you add up the cost of fixing all that stuff it can be pretty expensive. Motor mounts, drive shaft etc are all expensive wear items as well.

I see that "no spam" thing all the time... it cracks me up.

Brian, you make good points about checking those items but if some one is just looking for a good worker horse then play in the axle pivot and kingpin really isn't that big of a deal... just means it's not showroom quality and of course will have a little play in the steering. And really, what do you expect for $500!!

• JDBrian said thank you

#5 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:42 AM

I bought a 317 last summer and paid 1500$. An awesome machine (And im a Bolens guy), works quite well and is comfortable for us tall people (im 6'3''). It has a good power to size ratio. Too Bad we dont get such good prices on tractors up here. :(

Edited by hatedge, March 06, 2014 - 09:47 AM.

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 10:59 AM

I bought a 317 last summer and paid 1500$. An awesome machine (And im a Bolens guy), works quite well and is comfortable for us tall people (im 6'3''). It has a good power to size ratio. Too Bad we dont get such good prices on tractors up here. :(

My 317 was a wreck when I got it and I payed 400 for it. I got lucky and have put a lot of time into it and maybe 1200$ or so total. It still has the original Series 1 in it which starts and runs pretty good but it will likely not last much longer. I also have a 314 and was surprised at how much power these tractors have considering they only have a single range transmission.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 11:03 AM

I see that "no spam" thing all the time... it cracks me up.

Brian, you make good points about checking those items but if some one is just looking for a good worker horse then play in the axle pivot and kingpin really isn't that big of a deal... just means it's not showroom quality and of course will have a little play in the steering. And really, what do you expect for $500!!

A little play in the steering is one thing but when I got mine it was downright dangerous. Every part in the steering system was pretty much worn out. I think they are worth the money and time to repair or restore but I also know many people would not put that much money into a 317. 

• twostep said thank you

#8 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 02:21 PM

ooo the dreaded serie1 engine lol I heard horror stories about major failure of this or that. I cant remember but the guys here warned me about the 317 being kind of a lemon. That said, its one of the best ive owned.

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 04:04 PM

ooo the dreaded serie1 engine lol I heard horror stories about major failure of this or that. I cant remember but the guys here warned me about the 317 being kind of a lemon. That said, its one of the best ive owned.

:smilewink:

• hatedge said thank you

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 05:35 PM

The 317 engines were bad and JD offered an Onan kit and perhaps replaced some of the engines with Onans although I've never seen one. I think the later years had the series 2 engines. The engine in mine was supposed to have been rebuilt at some point but I don't know what that involved. It's a bit noisy at idle but sounds OK when running at higher rpms.  

Heres the restoration topic if you are interested.

http://gardentractor...?hl= needs tlc

• hatedge said thank you

#11 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Heres the restoration topic if you are interested.

http://gardentractor...?hl= needs tlc

Always am interested in restoration logs TY