12 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 01:05 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to put this,,,,  But

Why do people on  E-Bay try to sell things that are not related to the topic..???

FOR SALE,,,,,,,,  RARE  COTTER  PIN  for bolens :mad2:    You look at it and it is a common cotter pin..

9/16 " nut from bolens 1050   RARE.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY     $  19.95      ++  $ 4.95 shipping......  These people are on DRUGS     or live in a Cave..

How about NEED A MANUAL-----    There's about a thousand manuals... They are just reprints from some other site............  Like our's...

NEED a spring ?????????   ONLY   $ 36.95        Lowes has the same spring for   $ 2.95...

How about a Zerk fitting   with a bolens bag..  NOS---  PT.  #   bla-bla-bla   ONLY  $ 4.95  ++ $ 5.00 shipping  ( ANYWHERE in the world )--------Whoopi

What did  Grampa do in the old days,,,,,,,,,,,Go on line to buy a shut-off valve for his  J D tractor fuel tank..?????

NO he improvized and worked it out..... Not pay some moron $ 9.95 ++ 10.00 shipping and wait a week for it to come in

There's alot of BULL on E-Bay,,,,  I know E-Bay has no control over it,,,But people are killing that site..and I find myself going there less  and  less

Thanks for listening to my  RANT.....   It's been a loong winter I guess

sodi

• hamman, JDBrian, tinbender7 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Ebay is full of people looking to get rich. Since people are stupid enough to pay $15 for a rare cotter pin other people are more than willing to take their money.

• hamman, boyscout862, sodisr and 1 other said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 01:33 PM

Ok, here's my take:

I don't know if this is the right place to put this,,,,  But

Why do people on  E-Bay try to sell things that are not related to the topic..???

FOR SALE,,,,,,,,  RARE  COTTER  PIN  for bolens :mad2:    You look at it and it is a common cotter pin..

1) People are nuts!

2) Many sellers on ebay think they are "Experts" but really have no idea what they are selling or what the real world price is on things.

How about NEED A MANUAL-----    There's about a thousand manuals... They are just reprints from some other site............  Like our's...

1)There will always be those Leeches who steal manuals from sites and then sell reprints.... Not much can be done about that except not buy their products

NEED a spring ?????????   ONLY   $ 36.95        Lowes has the same spring for   $ 2.95..

How about a Zerk fitting   with a bolens bag..  NOS---  PT.  #   bla-bla-bla   ONLY  $ 4.95  ++ $ 5.00 shipping  ( ANYWHERE in the world )--------Whoopi

1) Many Bolens springs are special sizes and can no longer be found in an exact length. Some of the prices are insane but many of them are spot on what the last list price was from the factory. Really cant blame the seller if they paid $20.00 dealer cost and are trying to sell it for $40........Garden Way had some wacky prices near the end on just about anything Bolens

There's alot of BULL on E-Bay,,,,  I know E-Bay has no control over it,,,But people are killing that site..and I find myself going there less  and  less

I agree with you there's alot of out of touch sellers and many who shouldn't be selling stuff they have no Idea what the part goes to or what it fits as it only leads to confusion and unhappy customers.

In order to have a good experience on ebay, You really need to read feed backs before buying as that will give you a pretty good indication of what kind of person is selling the product and if all possible buy from an actual business, not from some guy who just found a box of parts or a tractor in a ravine and then lists the junk on ebay.

My 0.02

• hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 01:37 PM

I guess it's a case of buyer beware and you really need to know what something is worth before going out to purchase it. That's true in the real world as well as on line. Regrettably it's just the worst part of human nature being acted out. 

• hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 01:49 PM

The dumbing down of America continues. EBAY is just a symptom. If you want to see the end that the world is headed to, see the movie "Idiocracy". It is fiction in that it predicts most humans will be idiots in 500 years. It will be alot sooner than that the way we are headed. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor, hamman, trowel and 3 others have said thanks

#6 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Yup, that's the way it goes these days. You had it right when you said 'what would Grampa had done' welcome to the  new world.

• boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 02:32 PM

The dumbing down of America continues. EBAY is just a symptom. If you want to see the end that the world is headed to, see the movie "Idiocracy". It is fiction in that it predicts most humans will be idiots in 500 years. It will be alot sooner than that the way we are headed. Good Luck, Rick

Back many years before his death Paul Harvey dedicated a part of his noon radio show to " The Dumbing Down Of America ", and that day I realized exactly what he was saying. We have become a use it and throw away society, use it and throwit away and buy a new one.. Now with that comes those who will try to get rich off those who are " Dumbed down " from the propoganda that has become advertising. I can look back and see my dad making things for a car, boat, house appliance or furnace that otherwise would of not been available. We are not teaching our children to be mechanics we are turning them into parts changers and there is a difference !  That's my take on it.                     Roger.

• trowel, tinbender7, jpackard56 and 3 others have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Most can't even figure out the parts to change so, they get a whole new one. Eisenhower once said it was the farm boys that knew about machines and many other aspects of life that really helped to win WWII. I think that many of us(tractor guys) are more tied to reality than most people that believe in the government taking care of them. I suspect that most of the "preppers" are hoping for something to happen so that natural selection will kick in and thin the herd. All we can do is teach our children well. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, trowel, sodisr and 1 other said thanks

#9 lesmeister ONLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 05:20 PM

I have also noticed that people see something on e-bay or Craigslist with a stupid asking price and think that is what there stuff is worth also. The people on e-bay and Craigslist that have stupid prices on stuff have to re-list it all of the time and it will never sell. I like to find stuff on Craigslist that has been posted for a dollar then when you read the details it has a higher price, I call them and offer them 2 dollars.

Edited by lesmeister, March 04, 2014 - 05:52 PM.

• Gtractor, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Another thing you have to be careful about on ebay is the shipping cost. I've seen several instances where the "Buy it Now" price was very reasonable but shipping charges were way out of line. I guess some sellers thing that people only look at the selling price. Before I make any ebay purchase, I always look at any negative feedback and the total cost including shipping.
  • hamman, sodisr and superaben have said thanks

#11 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 06:58 PM

I understand how you feel.images take2.jpg

A real craigslist post sums it up.

RE: High priced mowers - $500 (South Suburbs)

What is with all you people trying sell Craftsman, MTD, John Deere and Ariens riding mowers for double what they are worth? Most of them are junk and the ones that are decent are within a few hundred dollars of what you can buy them for new with a warranty. Get real on your prices and it might not show your desperation so much if you at least had some winter time pictures instead of the pictures you have been trying to use for the last year to sell your over priced junk. After trying since October to buy a rider at a fair price I am just going to go to Home Depot and buy new for $1,000 with a 2 year warranty.

Edited by A.C.T., March 04, 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 10:56 PM

I agree with everything said, the sad part is it's spreading to the local equipment auctions too.  Last year I was bidding on an old 2 cylinder military engine that may or may not have ran I lost it to a guy who ended up paying $50 for it who then proceeded to tell me it was a diesel engine becuase that's all th military uses.  Now this engine was at least 50 years old but this guy was so convinced he was right that when I showed him that it was gas in the fuel tank not diesel he told me someone must have converted it from gas to diesel.  I usually compare this to the city kids who say "the store" when asked where there food comes from, I don't know what is to come, but I'm starting to worry about this country! 

• jpackard56 said thank you

#13 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 01:54 PM

I've noticed it at auctions too:::

I've seen guns at an estate sale auction,,,people bid up to $ 500.00 for an old Mossberg from the 60s.. It's true value is about $75.00--100.00 bucks...    Hell I can buy a new Remington for less than $500..

Maybe it's the bidding frenzee that gets people hyped up..??????