#31 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hello Gabriel

I certainly appreciate your Kind word's. This Tractor restoration was a rough one on me. I had a major Back surgery where they fused my spine from my tail bone up to my rib cage back in late September, then I had half of my right Kidney removed due to a Cancerous tumor in Mid February. I was Very weak when I started this project but as time wore on with it during it's Six week time lapse I grew much stronger, which was my Intent in Taking it on. The Biggest problem of the restoration was removing the Failed Powder coat Paint and having to fill all of the body panels with a skim coat of body filler to fill all of the Pit's left behind from the failed Powder coat paint. There is No easy way to remove it, I used 24 # 40 D-A sanding disc's on the floor pan alone to get it Preped for paint work. The entire project took just short of a Gallon of body filler and a Lot of sanding to get it all smooth before adding the High Build primer to it. My 1983 John Deere 318 did Not have this Nasty Powder coat paint on it so it was much easier to restore. Both machines are now fully done and serviced and ready to take on, Our Long Nine Month Mowing season here in East Tennessee which will start this week as the grass is growing and ready to be cut. Regards, Hammerdown

Sounds like a lot of work! You did a really nice job! I'm glad you are feeling stronger! Will you use your JDs for work?

#32 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 31, 2014 - 07:35 AM

they say a pictures worth a thousand words. You really should be so proud of your accomplishments. they look awesome . Most people would have left them for dead. It takes a real die hard in our hobby to see the diamond in the rough. Congrats they look great.

#33 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 06:29 AM

they say a pictures worth a thousand words. You really should be so proud of your accomplishments. they look awesome . Most people would have left them for dead. It takes a real die hard in our hobby to see the diamond in the rough. Congrats they look great.

Sounds like a lot of work! You did a really nice job! I'm glad you are feeling stronger! Will you use your JDs for work?

Hello Guy's

I appreciate your Kind word's here. Yes both Tractor's will be used for our Nine month Mowing season here in Knoxville. I use mine to till Our Vegetable garden with too. I have a Model 30 Hydraulic tiller for it as well as a Four way Hydraulic dirt dozer blade as shown. Regards, Hammerdown

011224.JPG

005398.JPG

• Gabriel said thank you

#34 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hello All

I delivered my son in law's new to him 1991 John Deere 316 last Friday. He mowed with it the first time and it never missed a beat. Here it is in action. Regards, Hammerdown

002338.JPG

003603.JPG

• Trav1s said thank you

#35 danvan54 OFFLINE  

danvan54

• Member No: 4271
  • 20 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi guys- as someone new to this forum, I will probably say some things that have been said before.  I also did a complete restoration on my 1984 Deere 316.  The sheet metal was okay and just needed sanding and repainting.  The mower deck, however, was powdercoated and when I took it to be sandblasted, the guy told me that he preheated the powdercoat in an oven and then sandblasted everything.  When I got the deck back from him, it was in great shape and ready for primer and paint.  Follow the link for some pics of my restoration.  I did a total rebuild on the Onan; the cylinders were egg-shaped and compression was down to 65 pounds on both sides.  I seriously considered a repower, but stuck with the Onan.  The sound and power are really impressive.

http://s1193.photobu...storation Large

#36 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 04:04 AM

Hello Danvan54

Nice restoration job you did there. It takes a Lot of labor to complete one the right way I know all too well after doing two now I have had my fill of them. Your's turned out very nice you should be proud. Regards, Hammerdown