Sears 10/6

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 superiorpower OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3881
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 11:17 PM

I have an old Sears 10/6, with a 3 point setup along with the plow, front 5-positon blade and mower deck. I have used the plow and the blade but the deck I have not. The deck probably needs work; I just removed it since at the time I just wanted the plow and blade. It is missing the hood and the original engine is incomplete and sitting to the side. I opted to not repair it since I figured it was not really "worth it". Since I am one of those who can't destroy anything, I just disassembled the tank mount and a few other items, and installed a Honda clone from Harbor Freight (AKA Harbor Trash). It is the 13 HP model. I am minded to do a few mods to it to make it a little "cooler" but that won't require damaging or destroying anything original. 

Before I mounted the replacement engine on it I completely disassembled the entire steering mechanism, cleaned it, reassembled and greased it. Now it works smoothly and I love it. The rear wheels have the plastic weights on them and it appears someone filled them with concrete but didn't get them full and small particles are loose inside, making a nose as I drive. It doesn't look like much but it does pretty good. I need new tires on the back and chains added. I installed new tires on the front before I installed the engine as well. The rims were rusted bad so I just polished them up with a wire wheel on my drill, greased them a little to discourage rust, popped in inner tubes and they have worked well since. 

I keep thinking one day I will sell it but I hate to get rid of it with the plow, blade, and everything on it. I would love to have more attachments but it is a little small for too many other attachments. 

I know this was a bit of a ramble, and I'm not posting this because I "need" anything. I have been cooped up in my house all day with the cold temps (and not warm shop to work in) and its driving me crazy. lol

• HowardsMF155, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,380 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 07:31 AM

The site is here for you to relax and enjoy. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

• superiorpower said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,672 Thanks
  • 39,055 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 07:36 AM

Sounds like you've upgraded the Sears. Post some pics of it, we like pics. Help for that is in a link at the bottom of my post here.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,704 Thanks
  • 28,346 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Sounds like you've started to put together a nice set of Sears. Please post up pics when you can.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 02:01 PM

Cold temps, no heated shop!! A lot of us here understand that. I wouldn't sell that Sears if I had it. They are getting very hard to find in this area. I'd do what most others on here do. If you need a bigger tractor for some jobs then find one that you can afford and you have yourself another project.