• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 07:10 PM

I have tried for two days to help myself with no progress. I have a 1976 MTD 990 Turf Trac with no S/G. From what I have seen most have a Delco Remy. What I need is the S/G's model number on someones ID plate. These also have a bolt or threaded hole for mounting the flat bracket to the engine on top of the housing. I have a few sources near home but the first thing they ask for is the number on my old one  :mad2: . Any help or discussion would be appreciated. Thanks

Here is my Thread   http://gardentractor...d-up-a-mtd-990/

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 07:44 PM

There's only 1 on Ebay which is very surprising.

$63.99 and it can be yours lol.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item566022b14f

Your going to have a heck of a time finding the exact Starter Genny that you need for your MTD 990.Unless someone here has 1 that they'll part with.

The hole is needed as it acts as the Belt tensioner.If you find a good one without the hole cheap enough you can drill and tap your own hole.The original ones are drilled and tapped between the coils.I see no reason that you can't take a standard starter genny and drill your own hole.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 08:22 PM

It appears that the starter generator on ebay has the bushing in the back plate and the bearing in the front plate like my Cub Cadet 147. My Sears suburban starter generators have bearings on both ends which is far superior to the bushing type. Is yours CW or CCW rotation? Once you know the rotation, a rebuild kit will be easy to order without the ID tag number. If a Cub Cadet back plate is the same as your broken one, I have an extra you can have. I sent a message to the vendor on ebay selling that generator, and I asked him if he could read the numbers on the tag. I'll let you know what he says if you haven't contacted him already.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 08:28 PM

Oops, VTXrider has the one with the broken back plate. If you end up with it, I'll send you the back plate if mine is the correct one.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:49 AM

How did you make out with the starter generator, sawdust? I have a rear cover that will work, as long as the bushing in your cover for the armature is the same size. My cover bushing ID is .560. I also came across a starter from a Bush Hog Jabalina I forgot I had. This starter generator has bearings on both ends, the hole for the belt tensioner, and is CW rotation. The engine on the Jabalina was a 12 or 14 horse Briggs horizontal. The good thing about this generator is that the back plate is cast iron and has the bearing instead of the bushing. The aluminum and cast iron back plates don't interchange due to the armature shaft diameter. You are better off with the Jabilina type generator due to the stronger back plate. The number on the ID tag on the Jabilina is 1101874 8A25.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140305_150959.jpg
  • 20140305_150909.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 12:02 AM

How did you make out with the starter generator, sawdust? I have a rear cover that will work, as long as the bushing in your cover for the armature is the same size. My cover bushing ID is .560. I also came across a starter from a Bush Hog Jabalina I forgot I had. This starter generator has bearings on both ends, the hole for the belt tensioner, and is CW rotation. The engine on the Jabalina was a 12 or 14 horse Briggs horizontal. The good thing about this generator is that the back plate is cast iron and has the bearing instead of the bushing. The aluminum and cast iron back plates don't interchange due to the armature shaft diameter. You are better off with the Jabilina type generator due to the stronger back plate. The number on the ID tag on the Jabilina is 1101874 8A25.

The SG the PO gave me dosen't have the belt tensioner hole in the housing probably explains why it broke. I have a couple of locals are trying to find me something. One guy has a nice one but no BT hole. He says I can drill & tap but I disagree. I don't think the housing is thick enough to hold threads. I would think the factory put a bushing or extra metal in that area to except threads. There's one on ebay for $64. that's about half what the GT cost me  :D I have another guy that says he has one but needs to find it. PM me if you want with your price of the one in the pic including shipping to 45205. I don't need the bracket I have all of those. I'm in no hurry, I'm going to remove the gas tank & carb tomorrow to clean. Thanks!

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 12:15 AM

I sent you a message sawdust. I'll send the generator your way tomorrow.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 01:46 AM

I sent you a message sawdust. I'll send the generator your way tomorrow.

I haven't recieved the message, thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 07:02 PM

I received your message and sent a reply. I don't know why the first message didn't go through. I got your address and the generator will be in the mail on Monday. Hope it works out for you.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:41 PM

I received your message and sent a reply. I don't know why the first message didn't go through. I got your address and the generator will be in the mail on Monday. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks again James I'm looking forward to getting it put on & hearing her purr.

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:55 PM

You're welcome, Jim. I'll inspect it tomorrow and see how worn the brushes are. I'll test it, take it apart and clean it then test it again. They really liven up once the dust is out of them and the armature is polished where the brushes make contact. I just cleaned one for one of my Suburbans and it made a world of difference.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 08:19 AM

I just received my SG yesterday & it works great mounted up nice on the ole rust bucket. Thanks again Jim ( Classic).

#13 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:00 AM

You're welcome, Jim. It's great to see that it works fine mounted up!