Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 10:04 AM

I've been wanting to get a 4wd CUT or sub-compact, but the prices are out of my reach right now. I have an opportunity to get the steer axle from a 4wd Toro 322d mower. It has the same size tires as the front tires on my Bolens HT23. It is driven by a drive shaft from the front differential in its present form. I know I could mount a hydraulic motor to the input shaft of the steer axle but is there a way to and plumb into the GTs hydro, and also a way to synch synch the motor so the front axle's speed will be proportional to the rear wheels, AND allow for changes in speed?

Thanks,

Smitty

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Interesting idea....I'll be watching with interest.  The first thing I've always wondered on such a solution to adding front drive, is syncing the motors.  I would think oil capacity and cooling is the first hurdle, then, getting that speed right.  it is a nice way to provide remote power though.  Engage a lever and boom, 4x4!

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 10:20 AM

I was watching a youtube video recently of a guy who made a 4x4 GT. He used a rear end out of an all wheel steer  tractor I believe.

I will have to wait until I get home tonight to get on youtube and check my viewing history, I'll post the link.

Edited by TAHOE, March 03, 2014 - 10:21 AM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 10:50 AM

This thing http://pittsburgh.cr...4346891256.html  has been for sale locally for some time and makes me scratch my head every time I see it but I stop scratching when I remember the price.

• Alc, superiorpower and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 03:46 PM

It might be difficult to use the charge pump flow to get motors to operate. You don't have a lot of flow, 3gpm at a guess, or pressure which is typically in the 600 to 1000lb range. I'm not sure what the requirements are for the axle you have but if you can dig up that info you should be able to determine if it's possible to drive it off the charge pump. You also need a way to control the flow or limit the pressure so that it will stay in step with the rear drive. 

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Not sure if I am on the same page, but I assume this conversion will be on the HT23? Is it shaft driven right now? Any way to add a pulley/sprocket at the engine to power the front axle? Sprocket would be better as there wouldn't be any slippage with a chain drive. Plus you have a bit of ability to change drive speed if needed. Just a thought.

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 05:39 PM

It might be difficult to use the charge pump flow to get motors to operate. You don't have a lot of flow, 3gpm at a guess, or pressure which is typically in the 600 to 1000lb range. I'm not sure what the requirements are for the axle you have but if you can dig up that info you should be able to determine if it's possible to drive it off the charge pump. You also need a way to control the flow or limit the pressure so that it will stay in step with the rear drive.

I was assuming I could tap into the hydrostatic pump itself, then the flow would be proportional to that running the fear diff. One of the challenges would be when shifting ranges as that's a mechanical function.

I need to look at how my little Broyhill 3WD does it--it as a drive motor on each wheel. Seems to me it would have to have some means to compensate for different wheel speeds during turns, etc.

Smitty

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 05:43 PM

Not sure if I am on the same page, but I assume this conversion will be on the HT23? Is it shaft driven right now? Any way to add a pulley/sprocket at the engine to power the front axle? Sprocket would be better as there wouldn't be any slippage with a chain drive. Plus you have a bit of ability to change drive speed if needed. Just a thought.

That might work--just have to make sure I get the ratios right. I remember year ago there was a kit to power tag axles on trucks via large sheaves that fit between the tires and V-belts. I guess the V belts were loose enough that they would slip on turns.

Smitty

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 05:45 PM

Wheel speed during turns should be handled by the differential. I was assuming the front axle had it's own hydro.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 06:31 PM

Many people use CASE rear ends to make 4 x 4 articulates. They can be plumbed in to one control valve and be same ratios. BUT, guess you are wanting straight chassis and turning wheels in front?  Why not look at used Kubotas and other brands that have had that for years?  Must be some used ones out there somewhere that they are parting. Seems like I saw a link to a CUT junk site on here other day and was out west? if I recall. They seemed to have lots of junkers and didn't sell whole tractors.

Seems this could be frustrating project and drive one nuts before done with it and not be satisfied with results.  Think I'ld Save UP for a wanted vehicle myself.   What about 4 wheeler axles? Are they too light? I know nothing about them, other than they have them available. Not sure how they drive them, chain, shaft or what.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 06:39 PM

I was assuming I could tap into the hydrostatic pump itself, then the flow would be proportional to that running the fear diff. One of the challenges would be when shifting ranges as that's a mechanical function.

Smitty

That would be next to impossible to do I'm afraid.  I would never attempt even thinking about such a venture, as it would drive one insane from the complications & roadblocks.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Something like this but scaled down ?

http://www.startrack...EZTrac_AWD.html

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 09:16 PM

I was watching a youtube video recently of a guy who made a 4x4 GT. He used a rear end out of an all wheel steer  tractor I believe.

I will have to wait until I get home tonight to get on youtube and check my viewing history, I'll post the link.

I wanna see that. I have a 4ws tractor.

#14 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 12:12 AM

Wheel speed during turns should be handled by the differential. I was assuming the front axle had it's own hydro.

Yes, that's correct. I was thinking of putting one hydro motor attached to the input shaft of the differential.

Smitty

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 12:16 AM

Something like this but scaled down ?

http://www.startrack...EZTrac_AWD.html

Yeah, that's the idea, but I noted they use an electronic control unit--probably to sense load and match the rotation of the rear axles. Gotta be big $$$

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4wd, hydrostatic, hydrostatic motor, hydrostatic 4wd, 4wd conversion